ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 04:13 AM   #10561
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Red Oak, IA
Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
You don't HAVE to drink. There's marathoners that hash... Ultramarathoners too. Also happen to be wankers like me that hash often and drink too much doing it.

M
But see, I think I would be very parched and would need to increase my fluid level quite a bit when I was done, and if there were some good tasting beer at the end of a run that was cold, I would consume way too much!!! I like some of the things that they are doing, I just know that I am trying to keep my beer consumption to only when doing certain things. I like some good dark beers, and since I am a clydesdale, I am trying to stay away from them.

A once in a while hash could still be a good thing.
__________________
Do you like bicycles, running, triathlons, marathons, etc........ Go to http://www.friedquads.com and thank BALDY!!!!!
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #10562
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
did someone say drinking?
I'm weighing in around 200 right now at the lowly height of 5'8", so I run Maxxis kevlar belted tires at 100psi min for road and 40 psi min in the wimpy little XC tires on my single speed
I'm about the same size...

Hashing helps when you don't drink (much). Running with the dog helps more 'cause there's no beer waiting for ya at the end. Well, there is, but its more effort than pouring out of a keg.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #10563
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 4,950
I guess I have to google "hashing" now
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #10564
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Red Oak, IA
Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I'm about the same size...

Hashing helps when you don't drink (much). Running with the dog helps more 'cause there's no beer waiting for ya at the end. Well, there is, but its more effort than pouring out of a keg.

M
Yeah, finding that bottle opener for a Fat Tire, is hard work isn't it.
__________________
Do you like bicycles, running, triathlons, marathons, etc........ Go to http://www.friedquads.com and thank BALDY!!!!!
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #10565
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Yeah, finding that bottle opener for a Fat Tire, is hard work isn't it
uh no....I can use the one on the drive side of my 1x1 or if I'm too lazy to bend over I've found that metal bar ends work just fine
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #10566
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe
 
neanderthal's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles. ca.
Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Which is it? We went over this above... You getting clipLESS pedals ie: Eggbeaters or you getting clips and straps?

If you say Eggbeaters, et al, you'll need special shoes.

AFA wide, Shimano is prolly the widest. They have custom moldable shoes out now too.

M
I was thinking of getting the Candy Eggbeaters because they have a semblence of a pedal and I wouldnt necessarily need to have bike shoes on for a quick squirt to the store or something.
However, it looks like i'm going to have to find shoes that are a comfortable fit first and formost, then buy the egg beaters/ clips that go with them.

Thx though.
__________________
'O=00=O'
BMW 2002. long live the legend
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:26 AM   #10567
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 6,038
By some weird setup I have four sets of Crank Brothers pedals on two bikes.
Egg Beaters- Not able to ride without being clipped in.
Smarty - Pretty small platform and not a good pedal to ride no clipped in. I imagine the Candy's are similar
Enduro - My favorite all-around. Ok to ride without clips, though I it depends on your shoes and the distance.
Mallet- Though they may look stupid on my Cyclocross bike they are my favorites. Big platforms works decently without being clipped in and when clipped in they have a big strong platform which is nice to just cruise on.
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #10568
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
By some weird setup I have four sets of Crank Brothers pedals on two bikes.
Egg Beaters- Not able to ride without being clipped in.
Smarty - Pretty small platform and not a good pedal to ride no clipped in. I imagine the Candy's are similar
Enduro - My favorite all-around. Ok to ride without clips, though I it depends on your shoes and the distance.
Mallet- Though they may look stupid on my Cyclocross bike they are my favorites. Big platforms works decently without being clipped in and when clipped in they have a big strong platform which is nice to just cruise on.

wanna ride Piermont tomorrow am?
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #10569
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 6,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
wanna ride Piermont tomorrow am?
Thanks for the invite but I am racing the Delaware Enduro tomorrow. It looks like an easy one
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #10570
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal
I was thinking of getting the Candy Eggbeaters because they have a semblence of a pedal and I wouldnt necessarily need to have bike shoes on for a quick squirt to the store or something.
However, it looks like i'm going to have to find shoes that are a comfortable fit first and formost, then buy the egg beaters/ clips that go with them.

Thx though.
If yer in LA, Helen's is supposed to be good. Performance is mostly entry-level stuff. Too bad you weren't lookin for this stuff a few years back 'cause Supergo was THE place to get stuff.

Somewhere bigger is better in this case

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #10571
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org
 
gambrinus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 6,477
Helens is hot and cold...depends which one you go into...

RW
__________________
..constructive criticism irritates me. I do not object to being denounced, but I can't abide being school-mastered, especially by men I regard as imbeciles.
-Mencken
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #10572
Javarilla
Escapee
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: 1...
Oddometer: 23,456
Hey Guys...

I got to spend about 30 minutes on an electronic shift equipped roadrace bike.

I normally ride DuraAce and think it's pretty spiffy - this electronic system makes my bikes feel sloppy.

Instant push button shifts.

Uphill full stormin - shift the big rings, or the little rings. NOW. No hesitation.

Automatic trim adjust - you got the bike all crossed up, no problem, it'll sort it out for you.

Weighs something like 41 grams more than normal shift kit, but there's no weight anywhere except down in the center of the bike.

Apparently not on the market. Gonna be unobtanium for awhile.

Hincapie and Garmin will be racing it this season.

Cool beans for you techies.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #10573
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
Hey Guys...

I got to spend about 30 minutes on an electronic shift equipped roadrace bike.

I normally ride DuraAce and think it's pretty spiffy - this electronic system makes my bikes feel sloppy.

Instant push button shifts.

Uphill full stormin - shift the big rings, or the little rings. NOW. No hesitation.

Automatic trim adjust - you got the bike all crossed up, no problem, it'll sort it out for you.

Weighs something like 41 grams more than normal shift kit, but there's no weight anywhere except down in the center of the bike.

Apparently not on the market. Gonna be unobtanium for awhile.

Hincapie and Garmin will be racing it this season.

Cool beans for you techies.
You



Suck




Ass







Then again, I rode Mavic Zap and thought it was the bee's knees. That was, till the battery wore out! Good thing it turned into SS when that happened.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:24 AM   #10574
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth
 
SpitfireTriple's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Bristol, Britain
Oddometer: 876
Most incredible cycle-stunt video. Phenomenal talent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0PMSAMcEYE Edit: it seems this is now a duff link

Okay, okay. I posted this earlier in Fluff. But it's so good it's worth breaking the no-double-post rule.

Edit: Doh! I posted the wrong link. This one is much better. Doh! again.

SpitfireTriple screwed with this post 04-28-2009 at 02:32 AM
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #10575
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 4,950
Campy fan!
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014