User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #10576
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,462
I am the fucking 'Ziggy' of bicycling. I have my own personal storm cloud following my bicycle around.

Any droughts going on anywhere? Fly me and my bicycle in, my incredibly shitty luck will have the place flooded in no time.

P.S. Although the bicyclist metabolism is quite good, it can in no way keep up with that of a professional forester when it comes to beer consumption. With my IT background, I could outsprint him, but I'm lacking in that all day endurance.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #10577
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
I am the fucking 'Ziggy' of bicycling. I have my own personal storm cloud following my bicycle around.

Any droughts going on anywhere? Fly me and my bicycle in, my incredibly shitty luck will have the place flooded in no time.

P.S. Although the bicyclist metabolism is quite good, it can in no way keep up with that of a professional forester when it comes to beer consumption. With my IT background, I could outsprint him, but I'm lacking in that all day endurance.

M
Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #10578
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Question re. Tires

I picked up an old steel-framed Centurion LeMans a few years ago, finally getting around to setting it up. It's got 700x20 tires on it; I'm guessing the previous owner was much lighter than me and/or planned to ride much faster. I'd like to put the widest tires it'll take. Are 700c rims fairly standard, i.e. should it be a major issue to swap in 700x32's or thereabouts? If an informed answer requires info I'm not passing along I'll apologize up front, I haven't been into non-motorized bikes for the last couple of decades.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #10579
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major
I picked up an old steel-framed Centurion LeMans a few years ago, finally getting around to setting it up. It's got 700x20 tires on it; I'm guessing the previous owner was much lighter than me and/or planned to ride much faster. I'd like to put the widest tires it'll take. Are 700c rims fairly standard, i.e. should it be a major issue to swap in 700x32's or thereabouts? If an informed answer requires info I'm not passing along I'll apologize up front, I haven't been into non-motorized bikes for the last couple of decades.
700c rims are standard. You'll hafta see what dia tires are gonna fit yer bike. I'm betting it'll be somewhere near 28c tho.

Thought about what cassette/freewheel (FW) is goin on there? Typical 80s FWs useta be pretty small.

The late 80s trend of 20c tires thankfully died a quick death.

M
Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #10580
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
700c rims are standard, any tire should fit, *IF* it clears the frame, brakes, etc. 700x28 might be a good alternative.

I'm curious what sort of derailleurs, etc are on this LeMans... They were a good 'entry level' bike from the 70s, early 80s, probably made-in-japan tange tubing, nice lugwork.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #10581
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Everything (derailleurs, brakes, downtube shifters, crank) looks to be Shimano Exage, which I honestly hadn't even heard of. It's a 12 speed with a Tange #2 frame. I had (and loved) a LeMans back in the day, and picked it up on eBay about 5 years ago for $100 or so in a fit of Miami Vice era nostalgia (it's got the old Centurion 2-tone frame, white and mauve). I literally just took it out of the box this weekend. I think I'll take it to my LBS and have them tune it up, everything seems to be in excellent shape given its age.

Edit: the frame is lugged. Not Rivendell-level or anything, but not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
700c rims are standard. You'll hafta see what dia tires are gonna fit yer bike. I'm betting it'll be somewhere near 28c tho.

Thought about what cassette/freewheel (FW) is goin on there? Typical 80s FWs useta be pretty small.

The late 80s trend of 20c tires thankfully died a quick death.

M
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000

Ursa Major screwed with this post 04-26-2009 at 09:29 PM
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #10582
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Everything (derailleurs, brakes, downtube shifters, crank) looks to be Shimano Exage, which I honestly hadn't even heard of. It's a 12 speed with a Tange #2 frame. I had (and loved) a LeMans back in the day, and picked it up on eBay about 5 years ago for $100 or so in a fit of Miami Vice era nostalgia (it's got the old Centurion 2-tone frame, white and mauve). I literally just took it out of the box this weekend. I think I'll take it to my LBS and have them tune it up, everything seems to be in excellent shape given its age.
Exage is decent enough stuff. Last a long time if you take care of it.

Change out the cables and housing and lube things up and you'll be OK.

Tange made some good tubesets.

M
Old 04-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #10583
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
You

Suck

Ass

Then again, I rode Mavic Zap and thought it was the bee's knees. That was, till the battery wore out! Good thing it turned into SS when that happened.

M
Speaking of single speed...

Here it is.

Ladies and gentlemen, from Curtis Inglis' RetroTec bike works...

My SS 29er lives...

Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #10584
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

'Rilla

Veeeery nice!

M
Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #10585
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,118
A friend caught the bug and went off looking for a roadbike. He found one.
So we took a ride to the beach and back.

About 56 miles or so.

Paul will have to chime in here, about his new bike.

My old bike, worked fine for me. I sure could use a few more miles though. This proved to be a tough ride.
A little art shot about halfway back for a rest. Then a stop at a store to pick up some electrolyte so I could maybe not cramp all the way back home. That and a Snickers did the trick. Next trip I will bring a bottle of the stuff.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #10586
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel

Get fenders
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #10587
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,318
Quote:
Speaking of single speed...

Here it is.

Ladies and gentlemen, from Curtis Inglis' RetroTec bike works...

My SS 29er lives...

that's purdy!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #10588
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
that's purdy!
The color scheme is right offa pair of Victoria Secret panties.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #10589
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,318
oh my virgin eyes
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #10590
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
So after doing some adjusting to the fit of my bike and cleats, I have upped my route mileage to a 10 mile every other day with some short JRA with the kids on off days. Now when I get done with a ride I feel like have worked out! If the weather would start to cooperate I could ride more often. 10 miles is taking me 40 minutes with a lot of that time used with the climbs. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in the bottom of a large bowl. Broke 33 mph yesterday! For about a minute anyway.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: