User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #10816
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,005
maybe someday my new Intense will show up?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #10817
Rasbutan
Unnormal

Oddometer: 2,723
Since this is still technically the basement, I expect to get a fair amount of shit.

I'm going to get back into bike riding, or least try to. I'm looking for recommendations on a good(not great) mountain bike. I used to ride a fair amount back in the early days of college. But, I was a poor student back then and did all my riding on a $80 Walmart bike. I can remember days when I'd get off that and my wrists and back screamed at me.

So, here it is 12 years later and I need a new bike. Not looking for anything spectacular, figure it'll be 50/50 split between road and trail. I'd like to keep the price under $500. Anything more than that, and I'd have a hard time not spending it on another murdercicle. Besides, I may decide the gas powered bikes win out.

So, what say the collective?!
Rasbutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #10818
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbutan
Since this is still technically the basement, I expect to get a fair amount of shit.

I'm going to get back into bike riding, or least try to. I'm looking for recommendations on a good(not great) mountain bike. I used to ride a fair amount back in the early days of college. But, I was a poor student back then and did all my riding on a $80 Walmart bike. I can remember days when I'd get off that and my wrists and back screamed at me.

So, here it is 12 years later and I need a new bike. Not looking for anything spectacular, figure it'll be 50/50 split between road and trail. I'd like to keep the price under $500. Anything more than that, and I'd have a hard time not spending it on another murdercicle. Besides, I may decide the gas powered bikes win out.

Shop around for a good couple year old used $400 bike that fits you and isn't all worn out (fork, etc)
Spend the extra $100 on a good professional tune up with new cables, housings, chain, and cassette.

You'll have a better bike than anything you can buy new for $500.
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #10819
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
So, here it is 12 years later and I need a new bike. Not looking for anything spectacular, figure it'll be 50/50 split between road and trail. I'd like to keep the price under $500.
used is very attractive from a price perspective, but you lose out on getting fit properly to the frame, unless you score that used bike at a local bike shop (LBS).

in your price range, a midrange Specialized Hardrock, or similar is likely a good choice. Full suspension bikes much under about $1200 tend to be junk, and you really only need full suspension when riding gonzo style downhill on rough trails, the rest of the time, its just dead weight.

The different brands tend to have different frame geometry and fit different body styles... For instance, Specialized bikes tend to fit people with long torsos better. I found Kona way too short (from seat to handlebar) for me. Trek is in the middle somewhere.

Within Specialized's lineup, for a given model year, the various submodels of a given line all use the same basic frame, and have differing grades of equipment, for instance a Hardrock Sport Disc has better parts than a Hardrock Disc, and these two differ from their non-disc counterparts by the disc brakes. Coincidentally, these are all clustered right around $500 I'm pretty sure the same applies to the other major brands, but I'm less familiar with them.

disc brakes are nice, but if you find a good deal on a non-disc bike, don't let that stop you.'

oh, if you're on the heavy side, verify that you can upgrade the fork springs, as the bikes tend to come from the factory set up for someone around 150 lbs
Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #10820
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Have you checked your local craigslist? There are always Hard Rocks for sale on ours. I bought mine for $100 and got a mag trainer thrown in with it.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #10821
lorazepam
Two fisted burger

Oddometer: 8,169
Quote:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4900.htm
Old 05-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #10822
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorazepam
yeah, nice components, probably a quite good frame, great price. and how does he fit it? who knows!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #10823
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
in your price range, a midrange Specialized Hardrock, or similar is likely a good choice. Full suspension bikes much under about $1200 tend to be junk, and you really only need full suspension when riding gonzo style downhill on rough trails, the rest of the time, its just dead weight.
I think you sound a little jaded? Besides, you can get very efficient squishies up to 6" of travel now under 30 lbs which makes them all very fun just about anywhere that isn't totally flat and smooth like your grey matter
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #10824
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,553
I've got the jones for a carbon fiber bike. I know, my current jamis alum. is way better than I am, and I don't really need something less than 20 lbs, but, it is awfully harsh on the bumps in the road.
I've convinced myself I can leave the Jamis at the lake, and use it on the weekends when I'm down there to ride the perfectly maintained roads at the resort. That means buying something new(to me) for up here. Is there a limit to how old of a carbon framed bike I should be looking at? I found a trek 5200 in my size nearby, but it's 12 years old. Should I consider it, or look for something newer?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #10825
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
Is there a limit to how old of a carbon framed bike I should be looking at? I found a trek 5200 in my size nearby, but it's 12 years old. Should I consider it, or look for something newer?
I wouldn't trust it, I broke an TREK oclv frame back in 1996, frame was creaking for a couple of weeks, one afternoon on my way home from work the bottom bracket shell seperated from the downtube.. I received a replacement frame, but sold it to get a titanium frame.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #10826
Rasbutan
Unnormal

Oddometer: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
yeah, nice components, probably a quite good frame, great price. and how does he fit it? who knows!
I apologize. I guess I shoulda put in: I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, 215# and most of the fat is in the belly.

Not that that helps any.
Rasbutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #10827
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
I apologize. I guess I shoulda put in: I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, 215# and most of the fat is in the belly.

Not that that helps any.
well, at 215 lbs, you'll definitely need to upgrade the springs on any mountain bike. air shocks can be pumped up, usually to the same PSI as your body weight (but this varies by shock and bike frame design), but most front forks are spring based, air forks are only found on the most expensive models.

if you DO get something with air shocks (Fox Float etc), you'll probably want to get the special uber-high pressure pump required to adjust them.

and, 5'9 30" inseam tells me you probably do NOT have a long torso (I'm 6' tall and wear 30" inseam, I do have a long torso), so Specialized may not be the optimal brand for you, you might look at Kona or Gary Fisher or whatever.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #10828
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,669
Quote:

Not that that helps any.
Prolly the biggest frame you wanna ride is an 18". 17" is prolly better. (or Med for them companies that do that)

I like Giant's offerings in the full squishy bike.

Them bikesdirect bikes are built in the same factories that build everyone else's stuff. Just don't have the name.

M
Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #10829
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
I wouldn't trust it, I broke an TREK oclv frame back in 1996, frame was creaking for a couple of weeks, one afternoon on my way home from work the bottom bracket shell seperated from the downtube.. I received a replacement frame, but sold it to get a titanium frame.
Come on Cat! That was over 10 years ago! I ranted about the old OCLV's as much as any other guy, back then. They've come a long, long way.

So what carbon fiber frame would you recommend???

EDIT: Doh, I didn't realize Poser was shopping for used carbon frames. That's akin to shopping for old race cars or bikes, simply too much variation and usually not a great idea. I thought he was looking to get something new, totally different story.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #10830
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
I've got the jones for a carbon fiber bike. I know, my current jamis alum. is way better than I am, and I don't really need something less than 20 lbs, but, it is awfully harsh on the bumps in the road.
I've convinced myself I can leave the Jamis at the lake, and use it on the weekends when I'm down there to ride the perfectly maintained roads at the resort. That means buying something new(to me) for up here. Is there a limit to how old of a carbon framed bike I should be looking at? I found a trek 5200 in my size nearby, but it's 12 years old. Should I consider it, or look for something newer?

The only CF frame I would ever buy is either new or one from a close friend that I know- and know the history of the bike.

The technology changes drastically every few years, but what do I know. I had a family friend die on a failed CF bike a little over a year ago. And that was a modern/expensive high end brand with very little miles on it. Freak accident but makes you think........

"steel....."
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: