Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 323 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #10936
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
why thanks for the compliment, I like to think I look a lot younger than I am, everyone says I act younger.

Seriously though, why not wear road shorts on a road bike?

I can't imagine wearing anything but once I made the transition.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #10937
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
The following recalls have been announced:

— About 16,000 bicycles with JD suspension forks, which were manufactured in Taiwan by JD Components and imported by Trek Bicycle Corp. of Waterloo, Wis., because the forks can lose alignment. This could cause the front wheel to turn unexpectedly. The company has received four reports of misaligned forks. The recalled products were sold by Trek bicycle dealers around the country between August 2008 and April 2009. Details: by phone at 800-382-2453; by Web at http://www.trekbikes.com or http://www.cpsc.gov.

— About 1,500 bicycles with JD suspension forks, which were manufactured in Taiwan by JD Components and imported by Cannondale Bicycle Corp. of Bethel, Conn., because the forks can lose alignment. This could cause the front wheel to turn unexpectedly. No incidents have been reported. The recalled products were sold by Cannondale bicycle dealers between February 2009 and April 2009. Details: by phone at 800-245-3872; by Web at http://www.cannondale.com or http://cpsc.gov.
I've never removed as many star-nuts in one day as I did thanks to this. Yup, we carry both Trek and Cannondale. Ugh.

Second note for today: If, like me, you haven't ridden a proper full suspension bike in the past 10 years (whether due to being a die-hard "roadie" or insisting that your cyclocross bike can do it all), do yourself a favor and go ride one. I had the biggest sh*t-eating grin when I came home from the break-in ride on my new Fuel EX8 last night. Wow, almost too easy!! All I'd ridden in the past 10 years were either big heavy stupid all-mtn or DH bikes, stiff xc bikes with no traction, or my most recent bone-shaker rigid 29er ("purity" is fun, but it can kiss my a** when it comes to all-day woods riding! ).

DoctorIt screwed with this post 05-21-2009 at 07:27 AM
DoctorIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #10938
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano 407
Am I the only guy here that got into motorcyles because of bicycle racing?
I came to competitive cycling through motorcycling.
I was working as a BMW mechanic, and one of our customers talked me into working the Coors Classic as a motorcycle marshal. Later that year I was a licensed official, and racer.

Racing bicycles are a long way from the bicycles I grew up on.

Like the man said, "...what a long strange trip it's been..."
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #10939
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Seriously though, why not wear road shorts on a road bike?

I can't imagine wearing anything but once I made the transition.
actually I usually do just wear cycling shorts, we were just arse'ing around for a quick hour long spin that included a stop downtown for coffee and I can carry CO2 and a tube in my pockets. Under my DH shorts I'm wearing Sugoi knickers to cover my knees as the temps were dropping pretty quick too.

Quote:
Second note for today: If, like me, you haven't ridden a proper full suspension bike in the past 10 years (whether due to being a die-hard "roadie" or insisting that your cyclocross bike can do it all), do yourself a favor and go ride one. I had the biggest sh*t-eating grin when I came home from the break-in ride on my new Fuel EX8 last night. Wow, almost too easy!! All I'd ridden in the past 10 years were either big heavy stupid all-mtn or DH bikes, stiff xc bikes with no traction, or my most recent bone-shaker rigid 29er ("purity" is fun, but it can kiss my a** when it comes to all-day woods riding! ).
my new Intense TracerVP frame should be here next week, I'm really looking forward to giving that a whirl! The terrain I posted in my earlier pics will be soooo much fun!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #10940
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
actually I usually do just wear cycling shorts, we were just arse'ing around for a quick hour long spin that included a stop downtown for coffee and I can carry CO2 and a tube in my pockets. Under my DH shorts I'm wearing Sugoi knickers to cover my knees as the temps were dropping pretty quick too.

my new Intense TracerVP frame should be here next week, I'm really looking forward to giving that a whirl! The terrain I posted in my earlier pics will be soooo much fun!

Oh, sorry I took (the pic) out of context, got it.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #10941
skibum69
slave to gravity

like I was saying-just a couple of arseholes out for a wee ride and coffees
Old 05-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #10942
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion
What gearing are you running on the fixie? I commute on mine with 42/17 and it works great all around even in climbs/descents I can maintain about 21-24 mph without spin out.

I have a LHT, the wheelbase is nice and I'm surprised that it spins up to speed nicely for a bike so heavy.
My Monocog is the Redline Monocog 29er. I believe it is geared 32x20. Which I think is great for rolling terrain and tight single track but once on the flats I'm limited to how fast I can go.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #10943
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Second note for today: If, like me, you haven't ridden a proper full suspension bike in the past 10 years (whether due to being a die-hard "roadie" or insisting that your cyclocross bike can do it all), do yourself a favor and go ride one. I had the biggest sh*t-eating grin when I came home from the break-in ride on my new Fuel EX8 last night..
as an old time hard-tail mtnbiker, when I got my Stumpjumper FSR Disc a few years back, i had a hell of a time feeling 'in control' on bumpy high speed stuff, while with my old unsprung Stumpjumper (the original 1983 model), I was very used to standing on the pedals with knees bent, and letting the frame ride the rough stuff... Eventually I got over it. For sure, the suspension is much easier on your wrists on rocky trails (main reason I got it in the first place).
Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #10944
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,135
Twice now, I've ridden modern FSbikes. Not a good thing to do. Not at all. Eventually my poor bank account is going to sufferer for these indiscretions.

Back in the day, when the first FS bikes hit Colorado, I was testing some in Vail and Steamboat, for possible additions to my road and track bikes. I found all of them too heavy, especially in the rear. So, I stuck with the front suspension of my first generation Manitou. I liked the light weight of it, and the lack of oil in the forks, and no air spring.

Now, we've finally maybe fixed many of the stiction issues we encountered back then.

All of the modern stuff I've ridden is amazing, and descending with a guy on a FS stumpy and me on my old hard tail with more modern fork I am being beat and the FS guys is like butter.

Needless to say I stay off the rough stuff for now.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #10945
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Me, Mutt, Vance....

Who will be the next victim of the great Jo Momma bicycle conspiracy?
I already have three bikes and now I don't have a job. Quit pushing it!!! :grn
Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #10946
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
I already have three bikes and now I don't have a job. Quit pushing it!!!
My new FS will put me at 6 bikes-maybe 6.5 if you count the tandem?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #10947
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,701
10 questions from a bike n00b...

1- bike work stand. Pick one up from craigslist for $75 or something else?

2- truing wheels. how? I'd swear my front wheel is out of round.

3- speaking of wheels, on my daily loop, there is a 50 yard section where I have to go down a horse trail to connect my route. Is this a bad thing for my wheels?

4-gearing. My highest gear ratio is a 30 front/23 rear. I could use something higher for the final hill home. should I swap it out, or quit being a pussy and wait for the engine to get stronger?

5- are gears universal, or do I have to find a 9 speed rear specifically to work with the tiagra components.

6- how long should I wait before I upgrade to a new bike? I bought my Jamis used last year, and it seemed great all last year, and when I started again this year, but now that I'm up to 100 miles a week, it seems like I want to change everything about it. I put clipless pedals and a new seat on it recently, but now I'm thinking the reach to the bars is a little long and I should shorten it, and maybe I could use some longer cranks and.....

7- If I have no intention of racing, should I look for something more touring oriented? My main goal is to get a good workout. I'm thinking riding something heavier and more comfort designed would be a better choice than the latest full carbon high dollar bling bike. But, I like bling and want carbon fiber, just not that ass in the sky, bars by the ground position.

Shit. I had thought of damned near 20 questions while on my ride today, but that's all I can think of right now. I'll edit it if I remember anything soon.

ETA- oh yeah, here's a photo of it to give you an idea of my current seat/bar setup. Seat was replaced with what I think is an old torture device. I'll give it at least another ride or two before I go and buy another one.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...

ImaPoser screwed with this post 05-21-2009 at 08:16 PM
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #10948
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
1- bike work stand. Pick one up from craigslist for $75 or something else?
Any stand that holds the bike off the ground will do. I had a PBS stand that was designed as a floor stand for years. Put it up on a TV cart and called it good.

Quote:
2- truing wheels. how? I'd swear my front wheel is out of round.
lefty loosey, righty tighty. Ya gotta figger out which direction to tighten and which to loosen and yer good to go. Hint: tighten the side away from the 'hop' and loosen at the 'hop.' Check Sheldon Brown's page or Park tools' website for a more detailed answer.

Quote:
3- speaking of wheels, on my daily loop, there is a 50 yard section where I have to go down a horse trail to connect my route. Is this a bad thing for my wheels?
Well built wheels? Nope. I've been riding cross on some of mine with no issues. Piss-poor wheels? Yeah, yer gonna have issues. You'll get good at #2 above!

Quote:
4-gearing. My highest gear ratio is a 30 front/23 rear. I could use something higher for the final hill home. should I swap it out, or quit being a pussy and wait for the engine to get stronger?
yes. Either way works. The more you ride, the stronger you get. The stronger you get, the less you need wuss-boy gears. I have a 26t 9sp cassette I can sell ya cheep if you need one till you get a pair.

Quote:
5- are gears universal, or do I have to find a 9 speed rear specifically to work with the tiagra components.
S9 is S9 is S9. SRAM cassettes work just fine too.

Quote:
6- how long should I wait before I upgrade to a new bike? I bought my Jamis used last year, and it seemed great all last year, and when I started again this year, but now that I'm up to 100 miles a week, it seems like I want to change everything about it. I put clipless pedals and a new seat on it recently, but now I'm thinking the reach to the bars is a little long and I should shorten it, and maybe I could use some longer cranks and.....
You see my post to Mr Head above? Its easier to sneak stuff past the budget comm. one bit at a time

Quote:
7- If I have no intention of racing, should I look for something more touring oriented? My main goal is to get a good workout. I'm thinking riding something heavier and more comfort designed would be a better choice than the latest full carbon high dollar bling bike. But, I like bling and want carbon fiber, just not that ass in the sky, bars by the ground position.

Shit. I had thought of damned near 20 questions while on my ride today, but that's all I can think of right now. I'll edit it if I remember anything soon.

ETA- oh yeah, here's a photo of it to give you an idea of my current seat/bar setup. Seat was replaced with what I think is an old torture device. I'll give it at least another ride or two before I go and buy another one.
Up to you. Frames are designed to put you in the most aero position that's suitable for making power. The upright bikes (Rivendell, etc.) are great, but they're not necessarily the best for going fast. If yer not tryin to go fast, then yes, a more upright bike would be better. The more upright you are, the more yer ass takes the weight that yer legs are taking now.

HTH

M
Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #10949
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Depends on your finances. If you can afford the new bike and you're confident that you'll be happier with it than the one you have now, have at it.

Personally, I upgraded from my first bike (a low-end hybrid) about 6 months after I bought it, and only about a month after I started actually riding it regularly. I don't regret the decision at all, as it was the quality and versatility of that second bike that allowed me to go from a casual commuting rider into a bike nut. OTOH, you started out on a much nicer bike than I did, so the change probably won't be as dramatic for you.

Quote:
Which bike will you be most excited about riding? It's easier to maintain an exercise regimen when it's something you look forward to. (I started out riding for fitness. Now when I can't ride I do other stuff to keep fit -- trainer, treadmill -- so that when I can ride, I'm better able to enjoy it.)

But this might not be an either/or question -- you can find high-end carbon bikes with more relaxed riding positions. Check out a Specialized Roubaix, for example.
Oznerol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #10950
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
HTH

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
Depends on your finances. If you can afford the new bike and you're confident that you'll be happier with it than the one you have now, have at it.

Personally, I upgraded from my first bike (a low-end hybrid) about 6 months after I bought it, and only about a month after I started actually riding it regularly. I don't regret the decision at all, as it was the quality and versatility of that second bike that allowed me to go from a casual commuting rider into a bike nut. OTOH, you started out on a much nicer bike than I did, so the change probably won't be as dramatic for you.

Well, actually, I bought and returned two different hybrids last year before I gave up and just bought a road bike. I was going to have to spend more on a hybrid that I ended up spending on the road bike and still wouldn't have gotten the feel I was looking for.

Quote:
Which bike will you be most excited about riding? It's easier to maintain an exercise regimen when it's something you look forward to. (I started out riding for fitness. Now when I can't ride I do other stuff to keep fit -- trainer, treadmill -- so that when I can ride, I'm better able to enjoy it.)
That's a main point in my debate. If I get a touring bike, will I ride it aggressively enough to get a good workout, or just mosey along at a snails pace.

Quote:
But this might not be an either/or question -- you can find high-end carbon bikes with more relaxed riding positions. Check out a Specialized Roubaix, for example.
That's the direction I'm leaning. The Roubaix, and Fuji's CCR line both look to be along the lines of what I"m looking for. I'll hunt down the other major makes and see what else I should put on the list.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: