Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #10951
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Two werds: trail run.

Easier to get ready than riding, you can usually find some trails out the back door, AND you get tired a LOT faster than riding... A good workout may take an hour start to finish.
I'm getting there. During the long weekend we just spent in Acadia, we did only a little biking, but lots of fast-paced hiking. It was fun, especially the really steep rocky stuff; At times it felt almost like this weird amalgam of running, mountain biking and rock climbing.

Unfortunately, no trails right out my back door. The closest place that'd be good for trail running is also the closest place for mountain biking. And the easiest way for me to get there is on a bicycle... Still, after the fun I had on foot this past weekend, I plan to get over there and check out some of the rockier trails (which are closed to bikes) on foot.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #10952
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
I'm getting there. During the long weekend we just spent in Acadia, we did only a little biking, but lots of fast-paced hiking. It was fun, especially the really steep rocky stuff; At times it felt almost like this weird amalgam of running, mountain biking and rock climbing.

Unfortunately, no trails right out my back door. The closest place that'd be good for trail running is also the closest place for mountain biking. And the easiest way for me to get there is on a bicycle... Still, after the fun I had on foot this past weekend, I plan to get over there and check out some of the rockier trails (which are closed to bikes) on foot.
I can assure you that there's more trails around yer house than you think. Ask a hasher if yer not convinced. Drainage ditches, alleys, etc. all qualify. Oh, and make for some fan-farging-tastic runs.

M
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #10953
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,595
Yes the single speed has made my legs stronger and I'm definitely all about picking the best line I can get my wheels to follow but lately I've been missing at least a few more gears on the really technical stuff that I just can't keep the pedals turning for.

Sooooo....this just showed up at the shop with my name all over it, I only ordered it in December! I need to order more parts for the build so I won't get to ride it for about a month

RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #10954
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

M
Old 05-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #10955
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
You know you're too tired to be working on a bike

when you cut the wrong cable.

I needed to replace the front derailleur cable because it frayed and went to cut it as it wouldn't pass through a guide... and clipped the rear cable instead. I'm sure I'll see the humor in it tomorrow.

Bimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #10956
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Anyone one here have any experience with Crank Brothers clipless pedals? I recently got some Candy SL's and was wondering how much free play (side to side) you have when clipped in. I just want to make sure I'm all good. The manual says you have 6 degrees of side to side and can release at 15 and 20 degrees depending on cleat placement. I have them set at 15 right now but might switch to 20.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #10957
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
Anyone one here have any experience with Crank Brothers clipless pedals? I recently got some Candy SL's and was wondering how much free play (side to side) you have when clipped in. I just want to make sure I'm all good. The manual says you have 6 degrees of side to side and can release at 15 and 20 degrees depending on cleat placement. I have them set at 15 right now but might switch to 20.
They came on my new bike. I put them right on the 20 setting and I'm loving them. They feel pretty easy to clip out of, but if I yank real hard, they hold tight. So yeah, they're good. What was the question?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:50 AM   #10958
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:

they're more sole supportive and easier to use than the egg beaters.

good all around street pedal.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #10959
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble

I needed to replace the front derailleur cable because it frayed and went to cut it as it wouldn't pass through a guide... and clipped the rear cable instead. I'm sure I'll see the humor in it tomorrow.

Is that back one long enough to use on the front? If it is, just pull it off and use it there. No biggie. If it isn't, well, yer out however much a cable costs. Not TOO bad in the greater scheme of things. Oh, and buy housing to go with that cable. Mo bettah shifting.

M
Old 05-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #10960
skibum69
slave to gravity

just wait until you see the build Gummee, it will be spanky-at least to my eyes. All the new anodizing doo dads bring me back to the rise on Ringlé

Quote:

like he said. Cables are cheap and I have to admit it's funny as hell! You should have had another beer
Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #10961
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
They came on my new bike. I put them right on the 20 setting and I'm loving them. They feel pretty easy to clip out of, but if I yank real hard, they hold tight. So yeah, they're good. What was the question?
Did you try them on the 15 degree setting? How much side to side do your feet have once clipped in? I guess 6 degrees feels like alot to me. I'm going to try the 20 degree setting. They are super easy to clip out of. I was worried they would be hard to get out of. Now I can bunnyhop like three inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
they're more sole supportive and easier to use than the egg beaters.

good all around street pedal.
I got them for my MTB. The reason I went with the Candy is incase I break a cleat or mount I still have a little platform to pedal.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #10962
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:

I got them for my MTB. The reason I went with the Candy is incase I break a cleat or mount I still have a little platform to pedal.

makes sense.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #10963
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Is that back one long enough to use on the front? If it is, just pull it off and use it there. No biggie. If it isn't, well, yer out however much a cable costs. Not TOO bad in the greater scheme of things. Oh, and buy housing to go with that cable. Mo bettah shifting.

M
Nah, too short. 10 bucks and it's done. Easy fix, just a dumb thing to do.
The greatest source of annoyance is with myself. I need that bike next weekend for a tri. Could I have put this off any longer?

Bimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #10964
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Nah, too short. 10 bucks and it's done. Easy fix, just a dumb thing to do.
The greatest source of annoyance is with myself. I need that bike next weekend for a tri. Could I have put this off any longer?

Beats doing it the nite before!

M
Old 05-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #10965
skibum69
slave to gravity

maybe you shouldn't ride triathalons?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: