User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 290 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #11146
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Your going to love your Eggbeaters. I got some Candy's and they are super easy to clip in and out of.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:16 AM   #11147
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,588
Anytime D, just glad soemone's gonna get some use out o them.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #11148
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornfed
Whatchall think of these:
http://www.maverickbike.com/main/do/...s/productID/38

I'm about to buy um...
I've got one on one of my bikes. I'm happy with mine, but it's my first dual-crown or long-travel fork, so I don't have much to compare it to. Make sure that whoever sets it up is careful about brake cable/hose routing -- it can be a little tricky since the fork is inverted. When I made some changes to mine, it took a bit of work to ensure that the hose wouldn't hit the tire when the fork was compressed.

I haven't done any tuning to mine, but I'm about 165 lbs, right around the weight that the stock setup is intended for. I doubt you'll be as satisfied with the out-of-the-box setup as I have been.

You know you can't use that with just any front wheel, right?
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #11149
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
I haven't done any tuning to mine, but I'm about 165 lbs, right around the weight that the stock setup is intended for. I doubt you'll be as satisfied with the out-of-the-box setup as I have been.

you know, I don't think he will be happy with them set up for 165

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #11150
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Egg beaters are great but they don't last long. I'm on my third pair in 3 years.
5th-Elefant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #11151
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,966
Quote:
Whatchall think of these:
http://www.maverickbike.com/main/do/...s/productID/38

I'm about to buy um...
I was about to say they're overkill, but then I remembered you riding away on Steverino's bike...

Only issue yer gonna have is the front axle. Yer gonna hafta get a wheel built for it. If you have a choice, go 36-hole. They use 36 hole mtn wheels on tandems. Should be plenty strong.

The only other thing I can think of is if the suspension's long enough, its gonna screw with the geo of the bike. if this one is or not.

M
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #11152
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,674
Quote:
That is exactly why I ride on the wrong side of the road. I want to see that dickhead coming...and dive to the left as he tries to kill me.

I will go to jail for this right.

I've been pulled over twice and both times explained my position/opinion to the cops. They have just given me a warning and drove on...
So you're one of those... How do you deal with intersections? Do you get off and walk at every single one? You damn well better, because you're a pedestrian in that case!

So by that reasoning, shouldn't you ride your motorcycle on the wrong side of the highway? So you can see the drunk guy weaving at high speed coming at you?

Old 06-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #11153
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
So you're one of those... How do you deal with intersections? Do you get off and walk at every single one? You damn well better, because you're a pedestrian in that case!

So by that reasoning, shouldn't you ride your motorcycle on the wrong side of the highway? So you can see the drunk guy weaving at high speed coming at you?

I have a mirror on my drops and when I am riding, I try to look in the mirror every 10 seconds or so and I also do not ride with headphones anymore, so I can hear the vehicles coming and watch the mirror also. Is it a perfect way to ride, no. Do I feel better about it, yes.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #11154
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt

I can see everyone driving from all directions when at an intersection...I just ride through. Don't really understand the question.

On a motorcycle, I am going faster than the traffic behind me usually and I have mirrors. I can see the drunk coming at me or behind me just fine.

My problem is that in GA there is only about 6 to 12 inches of pavement to the right of the white line and then a ditch. Most rural roads are like this here. I don't have mirrors on my bike and when I ride in the direction of traffic, I have often been whizzed by so closely that it has scared the shit out of me. When I ride on the wrong side of the road and that same asshat wants to buzz me...I just jump off into the ditch or at least move over a couple of inches. I have a chance.

I don't know why you'd roll your eyes at that. What's the difference when you are a driver if you approach a bike coming at you or going away? They (I) are taking up exactly the same amount of space.???
---------------------------------------------------------------
About the forks,

Yeah...I'm having a custom pair made with special springs and machining for my weight. They have no problem doing it. I will have to buy the special hub too...I was assuming I could lace it to my current wheel. I'm the the email stages with the manufacturer now... If I need a new front wheel...I'll get it...
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #11155
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------
About the forks,

Yeah...I'm having a custom pair made with special springs and machining for my weight. They have no problem doing it. I will have to buy the special hub too...I was assuming I could lace it to my current wheel. I'm the the email stages with the manufacturer now... If I need a new front wheel...I'll get it...
If you fall into the "husky boy" catagory, Spend the $$ right out of the box to have a GOOD Wheel builder lace up a strong set of 36 hole hoops for you, just as gummee suggested. A nice stiff long travel fork + whippy front wheel is a recipe for a nasty visit to the ER.

RW
Old 06-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #11156
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
If you fall into the "husky boy" catagory, Spend the $$ right out of the box to have a GOOD Wheel builder lace up a strong set of 36 hole hoops for you, just as gummee suggested. A nice stiff long travel fork + whippy front wheel is a recipe for a nasty visit to the ER.

RW
That's right. You've never met Vance. He was *supposed* to go to dinner in Denver, but got in way early, crashed out hard, then left again way early.

Sufficed to say, while Vance isn't fat, he isn't small either. Dat fucker's HUGE! A little extra weight on the front end isn't gonna mean too much to him.

Oh, and Vance, when you break that bike, talk to Russ Denny he built a road bike (and has built mtn bikes) for guys bigger'n you.

M

M
Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #11157
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Oh, and Vance, when you break that bike, talk to Russ Denny he built a road bike (and has built mtn bikes) for guys bigger'n you.

M

M
I call bullshit. There are no guys bigger'n that fucking wookie.

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #11158
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VespaFitz
I call bullshit. There are no guys bigger'n that fucking wookie.
GSDude is bigger around.

Crash is damn near the same size.

Javarilla...

Gravity's Dog

etc.

ADVRider is chock full of fucking gorillas! (I'm not one! Dammit! I want the 4" of height both little brothers got!!)

M
Old 06-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #11159
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
+1 on getting a wheel handbuilt by a good builder.

Unfortunately the Maverick hub only comes in a 32-hole version. There are other companies making hubs that work with (or can be converted to work with) the Mav forks, but I've heard really mixed reviews on them.

Vance, are you using this thing on the 29er you posted about a while back? The larger diameter of that wheel is going to weaken it further. (I'd also worry that maybe your bike's frame isn't really meant to handle the stress that a long-travel dual-crown fork can put on it. It's not hard to find pics of frames that broke behind the headtube after someone put on a fork that was too long.)

There are some good strong 29er-sized rims out there these days -- Salsa Gordos are wide and tough as hell, and surprisingly light for how sturdy they are. Between those and good spokes a good builder should be able to put together a pretty tough 29er wheel even with only 32 spokes.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #11160
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,674
Quote:
I don't know why you'd roll your eyes at that. What's the difference when you are a driver if you approach a bike coming at you or going away? They (I) are taking up exactly the same amount of space.???
It's not about the space. Road rules (in this country) were designed for vehicles on the right. Right of way, turning lanes, lights, etc. The first step to getting respect as cyclists is following the same rules as all vehicles on the road. That means not rolling through red lights (but pedestrians do it?), not riding the wrong way in downtown one-way streets (but it's just a bike!), and riding on the right side of the road.

The redneck asshat in the pickup on the rural GA road is going to kill the "fairy in spandex" no matter what side of the road he's on. It's all the other law-abiding drivers (the majority of them, yes, the rotten one's stick out more, but there's statistically less of them) that are not gonna get the point that bikes = vehicles, with rights.

I sure hope that if I was driving my car and a cyclist took a "dive" on the wrong side of road as I went by, and tried to blame it on me, that he'd lose.

---

On your fork, you can definitely re-lace your current rim. If it's worked for you, keep using it. However, it may be cheaper to buy a pre-built wheel with the right hub already on it, rather than pay someone to take old wheel apart, lace up new wheel. I guess if you're handy with some shears, you could just cut the spokes off!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: