Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 504 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #11221
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Us kids think they're cool. Can't speak for the fixie thing, but SS 29ers are a hell of a lot of fun.
My bikes that need to work and my bikes that need to go fast have gears.

All my 'fun' bikes are singles or fixies. They don't need to be fast.

The singles split the need to race everything on the trail out of your soul...

A fixie feels good because it's a direct connection to the physics of the universe...
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #11222
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
This doesn't make any sense... exactly what fork do you have? If I can find the tech manual online, I can be of help. I'm actually not familiar with the SID, in that you say you can pump air in the top AND bottom of the fork leg that controls preload?!

Just off the cuff, 80psi sounds just a little high for someone your weight, and all the symptoms point to still too much preload. Air shocks are actually very easy. Don't bother messing with the oil side (damping) until you have the preload set right.

EDIT: ok, went to the RockShox website - the 80/80 spec is for "<120 lb rider". You can most definitely go lower, like 70/70, maybe even 65/65. Do you know how to check your sag? That is the easiest way to set preload/air pressure. Get a zip-tie, put it around your fork slider, hop on the bike, bounce it a couple times, let it rebound and just sit on it with your weight. Slide the zip-tie down all the way on the slider and carefully dismount the bike. The sag should be roughly 25% of the total travel of the fork, maybe a bit less for a stiffer/short travel XC racing fork (on my 4.5" travel Fox Float, I run 1.125" of sag).

I'm still not really getting the positive/negative spring. Seems like more complication than you need in an air-spring XC fork.
okay.. thanks. This is a starting point for me...and maybe I should do the same about searching for the specs for that particular shock. I was doing some reading on it last night and have found much negative feedback - mostly of the shock having too much flex

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #11223
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Day of firsts on Saturday:

1. First ever puncture on a bicycle - yep, really.
2. First ever time I fell over while still clipped in. Why ? See 1

Tire just went flat (turns out the base of the valve stem ripped) and I was so engrossed in that I forget to unclip...oh shit, why isn't my foot coming out Bang, down I went...

To compound that, I then screwed up my spare as I inflated it Had to get recovered so I only did 3 miles. I am thinking of carrying some CO2 cannisters as well as my pump - I friggin hate pumping tires up with it.

Weather here in New England has been atrocious the past month or so - I am seriously thinking of a. buying a mtn bike or b. breaking out my rollers again or c. all of the above.
I usually use the CO2 to get most of the pressure then top off with a pump. That's assuming there's a pump around.

Not to , but

M
Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #11224
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud
okay.. thanks. This is a starting point for me...and maybe I should do the same about searching for the specs for that particular shock. I was doing some reading on it last night and have found much negative feedback - mostly of the shock having too much flex
You may also wanna change out the fork oil for something lighter as well.

I had an older SID. Not a bad riding fork, but yeah, they are flexy. 'Course weighing 100# less than I do, it may not be an issue with you.

M
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #11225
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
Being light would probably be a good idea to lighten the oil up.

Oil volume and viscosity will affect the damping characteristics on a lighter guy than on heavier guys.

Get the spring and preload correct first. Then work the damping.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #11226
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I usually use the CO2 to get most of the pressure then top off with a pump. That's assuming there's a pump around.

Not to , but

M

I guess both had to happen, both at the same time has it's advantages I guess....

So will a single CO2 cannister fill a tube ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #11227
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
So will a single CO2 cannister fill a tube ?
depends on the cannister... they come in sizes, standard ones are 12g and 16g.

Depending on how good you are, and how good of a dispenser you spring for, it may or may not get your super slick road tire back to racing pressure of 120, but 1 cannister of either size will definitely get you home faster than walking.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #11228
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
depends on the cannister... they come in sizes, standard ones are 12g and 16g.

Depending on how good you are, and how good of a dispenser you spring for, it may or may not get your super slick road tire back to racing pressure of 120, but 1 cannister of either size will definitely get you home faster than walking.

Sounds good - I just hate using those little crappy pumps, I guess there's a technique which I clearly don't have.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #11229
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

Sounds good - I just hate using those little crappy pumps, I guess there's a technique which I clearly don't have.
1. Don't put the nut on till AFTER you've pumped up the toob.

2. Hold the head of the pump and the tire/rim combo with one hand while pumping with the other. Sounds harder'n it is. Keep the head of the pump steady and you won't rip out valves.

3. That nut? Toss it. You don't need it.

4. CO2 is MUCH faster, but a typical 12g cartridge won't get you much more'n 100psi in a 23c tire. 16g is mo bettah if yer runnin bigger tahrs. You can even get bigger if yer runnin 29er/cyclocross tahrs. Life vest inflators and/or the 'Big Air' CO2 refills work well for the bigger tahrs.

HTH

M
Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #11230
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
5. depending on your bike - get a frame pump. Much easier.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #11231
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
5. depending on your bike - get a frame pump. Much easier to beat a wild dog off your leg with....

fixed..

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #11232
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
I carry a Crank Brothers pump that switches from high pressure to high volume and fits schrader and presta. Never had an issue with it, but I've only needed it on the mountian bike when I tore a stem out.
I only ever used the CO2 deals with the old 1984 BMW K-model bikes with tubeless tires. Back when I had a neighbor who did construction and he had a brother in-law who nosed around too much dope. This moron managed to drop a keg of nails in front of my drive way, and of course never cleaned it up. He kicked the pile into the street. (And they wonder why they call it dope)...

I come home from the motorcycle shop on a brand new 1984 K100RT to put the initial 600 miles on the next day, and find when I come out in the morning at about 5 that both tires are flat. But each has a couple of nails in place.

I'm thinking the worst, OK, not the worst, but I'm thuinking somebody has doen this on purpose. Of course I'm forgetting the rule for all things mechanical, that the two biggest evils are dirt and stupidity. Since the bike and tires were clean, that left stupidity.

Anyway, I got to use up two packages of cannsiters filling the tires enough to get to a service station that;
a) was open and
b) had air available

I got real good with those little plug things.

When I got back home it was daylight and I could see nails spread across the road. Of course the Audi also had a flat or two. And yes the neighbor got to buy some tires. The dummassed brother in-law got to clean up the street, and a few months later after he got out of the dump truck and left it in neutral on the hill and it rolled over my mailbox and into my other neighbor's house, he got to move into detox at the pleasure of the state.

This one of those guys that convinced me life is too safe in here in the US. People this stupid shouldn't be able to avoid death long enough to do this much damage. I can't remember for sure, but I think he finally bought that one-way ticket...

Anyway, I've always used a frame pump. My favorite was/is my old Silca Frame pump with a Campy metal head. The little "blue feet" have rotted off mine. Also properly weilded can make an imposing weapon to whatever is chasing.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #11233
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Anyway, I've always used a frame pump. My favorite was/is my old Silca Frame pump with a Campy metal head. The little "blue feet" have rotted off mine. Also properly weilded can make an imposing weapon to whatever is chasing.
I have a Silca head, but I've actually never had a Silca frame pump. Benefits of working in a shop.

I've used the Zefal HP series most of my 'life.' These days, I'm strictly carrying CO2. Usually bring 3 cartridges in my tool kit. Glueless patches, CO2, Ritchey CPR4, a few loose allens, and a tube and I'm

I'm tempted to try the Vittoria Pit Stop. Sealant + CO2 in one. Haven't gotten any yet tho.

M
Old 06-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #11234
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Went out this sultry morning and felt strong. Knocked out 20.5 miles at 19.4 mph avg. Been stuck in the 18mph range all spring. Stood up and attacked the climbs a gear higher than usual. Now if I could just drop from 218 to 205lbs.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #11235
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
Went out this sultry morning and felt strong. Knocked out 20.5 miles at 19.4 mph avg. Been stuck in the 18mph range all spring. Stood up and attacked the climbs a gear higher than usual. Now if I could just drop from 218 to 205lbs.

Now, if yer really interested in getting faster, stop worrying about avg speed. Some rides go easy, some go hard. The hard rides should be as hard as you can go for X min... The easy rides should be easy enough that you can whistle. THAT'll help you get faster faster.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: