Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #11236
dtsv650r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble
In it for themselves the whole way. Bastards every one of 'em.

...A Cervelo P3 in my garage wouldn't kill me.

Those are pretty! I think you could suck it up and put the damn thing in the living room though!

As an aside, there's a tri-geek here who recently forgot her P3 was on the roof rack when she pulled into the garage.... only part of it remained on the rack

Buell Blast Cube w/NOX, PIAA's, Touratec titanium valve stem springs

Keep in mind they were called Jumpolines before your Mom started doin it
dtsv650r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #11237
DieWespe
Herrscher ohne Volk

Oddometer: 244
This might be of interest for some of you guys who remember how big mountain biking was in the 90s:

Missy Giove busted for marijuana
Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #11238
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieWespe
This might be of interest for some of you guys who remember how big mountain biking was in the 90s:

Missy Giove busted for marijuana
She didn't just get busted, she got BUSTED!

That was LOTS of mary jane!

Don't really surprise me tho. Lots of riders back then were 'fun' guys and gals.

Mr Head: you tried putting some Ritchey Tom Slicks (1") on that bike? How bout some 1.25" PBS specials? That'll help lots. ANYthing but the knobbies on there now. May also wanna go with something like a 12-23 cassette for the road 'cause sure as shootin, yer not gonna need the big cogs.

You can do RAGBRAI on that bike. I have a buddy here in town that's LOTS more outta shape than you are and she does it every year. Goes about boat slow doing it, but she gets 'er done.

HTH

M
Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #11239
JamesRRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I just want to say great thread. It's the only thread I'm subscribed to.

I've recently "restarted" cycling at age 40. I've lost 52 lbs in 11 weeks (also dieting of course) and it's hard to quantify how much better my conditioning has become. I can do half centuries on the road bike on gravel bike path. Next week I'm going to do my first two day ride up the coast of New Jersey while the family is baking on the beach. I'll manage a century before the summer is out.

I'd love to have a couple nice new high end bikes but just wanted to say, don't get hung up on it. I'm riding a 1984 Schwinn Mesa Runner rigid mtb, and a 1978 Miyata 610 road/touring bike. When I hit my target weight, I might reward myself with something a little lighter and less DUI-Bike looking.

James
JamesRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #11240
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRRS

I've recently "restarted" cycling at age 40. I've lost 52 lbs in 11 weeks (also dieting of course) and it's hard to quantify how much better my conditioning has become. I can do half centuries on the road bike on gravel bike path. Next week I'm going to do my first two day ride up the coast of New Jersey while the family is baking on the beach. I'll manage a century before the summer is out.

I'd love to have a couple nice new high end bikes but just wanted to say, don't get hung up on it. I'm riding a 1984 Schwinn Mesa Runner rigid mtb, and a 1978 Miyata 610 road/touring bike. When I hit my target weight, I might reward myself with something a little lighter and less DUI-Bike looking.

James
No Mountaineers in this thread. Thanks!

Only Hokies!

Seriously. Good onya. Ride careful! There's idiots out there (and in JM too!) that are out to get us.

M
Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #11241
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,673
I know there's a few of you here who also surf over to Dgrin, Baldy's photography version of this place. A friend of mine completed and posted an awesome photo essay on Independent Fabrications over there, check it out if you like photos and some words on small-volume custom frame-building.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #11242
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Thanks Doc! That track bike at the end is
Old 06-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #11243
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I knew that the Fat Chance guys got laid off, but I didn't realize most of the original guys/gals had left. Times change...

I still would love to have an Indy Fab bike (or a Seven, or...) but the $$ required is out of my league at the moment.

M
Old 06-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #11244
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Anyone else doing the RAGBRAI event this year. I know that some say they can't do it because of the hills, but remember you get to coast down a lot of big hills also. I think it would also be nice to ride the Wabash Trace for the first section and not have any hills at all. I am sure there are others here that have ridden the Wabash Trace and could get people from the Wabash Trace to Mineola (Thursday Taco Night Ride) and then on the highway roads to finish the ride.

Stay in Red Oak the first night, where my bluegrass/americana/roots accoustic band is playing on the hill by the water tower under the Chatauqua Pavilion from 4 to 7 and then I think we will have about 30 people at the house either staying inside in beds or on the floor and those that will be camping also.

Changed to Thursday as I must have had too much to drink to remember the date. I was sure I was in at Lewis Central on Tuesday night for softball. We had a southern boil at my house on Sunday and we had some Olde Main Brewery Beer on tap and it shows.

flip18436572 screwed with this post 06-18-2009 at 01:16 PM
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #11245
dtsv650r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Anyone else doing the RAGBRAI event this year. I know that some say they can't do it because of the hills, but remember you get to coast down a lot of big hills also. I think it would also be nice to ride the Wabash Trace for the first section and not have any hills at all. I am sure there are others here that have ridden the Wabash Trace and could get people from the Wabash Trace to Mineola (Tuesday Taco Night Ride) and then on the highway roads to finish the ride.

Stay in Red Oak the first night, where my bluegrass/americana/roots accoustic band is playing on the hill by the water tower under the Chatauqua Pavilion from 4 to 7 and then I think we will have about 30 people at the house either staying inside in beds or on the floor and those that will be camping also.
Hey Flip, psssst - Taco Ride is on Thurs.

Buell Blast Cube w/NOX, PIAA's, Touratec titanium valve stem springs

Keep in mind they were called Jumpolines before your Mom started doin it
dtsv650r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #11246
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsv650r
Sorry to hear that!

A couple of things about your ride, did you drink enough water or were you relying on the "magic go juice"?

What kind of pace were you riding at?

What do you have for tires on that Mt. bike?

While there certainly is a lot of climbing on the RAGBRAI they're not steep and I'm certain you could find a group of riders you could hang with. I know 50 -80 mile days sounds daunting but it's doable at a pace thats compatible with your particular fitness level ie... you don't have to complete the days ride in 3-4 hours, take your time and enjoy the ride!
RAGBRAI has great sag support.
I have a mix of mostly water, (3L, about drained it) and the NUUN pills.
I was hammering against a pretty good on-shore breeze. I kept a spin going. The bad side is my really bad knee began stiffining up. I notice my claves cramp if I let off or spin lightly. If I keep the hammer down, I don't cramp so much.
I figure having not ridden in two weeks hard, this was a major test. I am riding those new Captains. Not light and not great for the street, but it's what's there. I managed an average of 12.5 mph for a little over 2 hours. I figure for RAGBRAI I need to be able to pull 10 pmh average for each day.

I'm not new to distances like the RAGBRAI, though those WERE a long time ago. I knew if I could have been able to continue the training I had begun with last year, I would have been easily capable of 200 miles over three days easily on my roadbike and antique running gear.
But, between some stuff and work, my training got hacked. And now more work.
At some point I needed to make the call before I dropped another $400 to $500 on the event, getting there and all that stuff.

I really wanted to ride this on my roadbike. The mountain bike is a chopper tractor. I hate it except the gear train is perfect. The geometry is complete crap for modern forks that have actual travel.

Two weeks ago I had managed the previous two weeks to average 140 miles per on the roadbike and I was feeling pretty good. Getting from my house to the beach and back some 58 miles was not terrible and I could ride a bood 30 miles the next day with relative ease. I was figuring I was on the home stretch. A couple of weeks off with a sprinkling of a cold and the spring alergies and I have been kicked to the curb. OR at least feel like it.

I was able to hit 20 mph with that light tail wind in level spots on the way back, but my power is gone. I'll see tonight how I feel climbing back up the dirt hill this time maybe I can work my way to the top of Coal Canyon...

Work sucks.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #11247
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I still would love to have an Indy Fab bike (or a Seven, or...) but the $$ required is out of my league at the moment.

M
Quote:
No Mountaineers in this thread. Thanks!

Only Hokies!

Hmm, even my poor WVU education allows me to see a connection here!

That was cool feature on Independent Fab. Wouldn't mind having one myself.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #11248
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRRS

James
OK, I'll bite.

How in the world do you lose 50 pounds in 11 weeks?
Did you chain yourself to a post in the middle of a garden?
I started back to riding last May, and have gained weight.

That is great results by the way. Amazing I'm thinking. And you're riding some real distances on less than perfect anything.

I feel like a whiner, (but then I am right now)...

Keep it rolling!
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #11249
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
How in the world do you lose 50 pounds in 11 weeks?
Almost a 2300 calorie deficit per day.

When I was well over 300, I could do that. Kinda hard down here around 200 now.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #11250
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
She didn't just get busted, she got BUSTED!

That was LOTS of mary jane!
And over $1 million in cash on hand.

I'd have considered myself set for life at that point. Well, until the whole "getting arrested" thing.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: