User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #11251
JamesRRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Biggest Loser Contest at work. I've gained 50 lbs since starting an IT job 7 years ago, getting divorced, getting married again, turning 35, and having kids to stay home and take care of. It was time and the contest provided that little bit of incentive ($650 cash to winner). Plus I just have to live long enough to see my daughters grow up.

Day 1 I weighed 250 lbs at 5'10", most I've ever weighed or ever will. I limited myself to 1000 calories a day. I have a slow metabolism...most people would probably be happier with 1200. I eat the healthiest 1000 calories I can and it's a mix of protein, fat, carbs, a balance, not a fad diet, whole veggies are the staple, lots of water. I have not cheated on the diet once.

I started at first on an exercise bike, 5 miles a day. I worked my way up to burning 500-700 calories a day on that ex bike. I got bored of that and took my father in law's old bike (Miyata) down off the wall in his garage where it has been untouched for 20 years. New tubes and tires and I hit the road, often at night when the kids are asleep, some tunes in the MP3 player, little red blinky to try not be ran over. I signed up for 6 mos. gym membership but I hardly have time to go. I'd rather bicycle. I'll use that membership for strength training starting when I get back from vacation next week.

Now I'm cycling more than motorcycling and it really saves money on tires, lol. I'm mountain biking with a group a couple times a week and they are fairly extreme and I'm almost able to keep up, even with the crappy old rigid suspension bike.

Added benefits..
no heartburn or acid reflux ever.
can wear off the shelf leathers so time for some track days.
going to learn to ski this winter since my knees won't be under so much stress and I can actually breath.
mtb in Moab on "business trip" in two weeks.
the wife is happy about it, use your imagination

Next step is to build up my own touring bike and try that out.

The contest is over this week. I'm in second place (199 lbs today) and I can't catch the winner, and I don't care. The real prize is getting control over my life again.

Sorry for the long winded reply.

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
OK, I'll bite.

How in the world do you lose 50 pounds in 11 weeks?
Did you chain yourself to a post in the middle of a garden?
I started back to riding last May, and have gained weight.

That is great results by the way. Amazing I'm thinking. And you're riding some real distances on less than perfect anything.

I feel like a whiner, (but then I am right now)...

Keep it rolling!
JamesRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #11252
dtsv650r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRRS
Biggest Loser Contest at work....

The contest is over this week. I'm in second place (199 lbs today) and I can't catch the winner, and I don't care. The real prize is getting control over my life again.

James
Ya both won

Buell Blast Cube w/NOX, PIAA's, Touratec titanium valve stem springs

Keep in mind they were called Jumpolines before your Mom started doin it
dtsv650r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #11253
JamesRRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I lived in southern WV (closer to Hokie country than Touchdown City) for 12 years. Great town and set up nicely for bicycling unlike Morgantown. I still get to BBurg once in a while on a work trip. I don't miss watching us lose to you guys in football, lol.

I'm going to start really searching out good bicycle friendly road routes in the area, I'm sure the LBS is the place to start.

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
No Mountaineers in this thread. Thanks!

Only Hokies!

Seriously. Good onya. Ride careful! There's idiots out there (and in JM too!) that are out to get us.

M
JamesRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #11254
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
I limited myself to 1000 calories a day. I have a slow metabolism...most people would probably be happier with 1200. I eat the healthiest 1000 calories I can and it's a mix of protein, fat, carbs, a balance, not a fad diet, whole veggies are the staple, lots of water.
James
Congrats on the weight lost. Last year I lost 40 pounds only to gain it back this years because I got really lazy. I'm back on it and plan to lose the weight and keep it off this time. Mind sharing your diet plan in detail? I too have a slow metabolism.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #11255
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Quote:
Day 1 I weighed 250 lbs at 5'10", most I've ever weighed or ever will. I limited myself to 1000 calories a day. I have a slow metabolism...most people would probably be happier with 1200. I eat the healthiest 1000 calories I can and it's a mix of protein, fat, carbs, a balance, not a fad diet, whole veggies are the staple, lots of water. I have not cheated on the diet once.
Holy shit, dude. That takes a hell of a lot of determination and discipline to pull something like that off. I wouldn't have made it a whole day on even 1200 calories. Congrats.

Just remember, your new active lifestyle requires a lot of calories to keep going. You don't have those fat stores to fall back on anymore. Work on setting up some healthy habits to maintain it for life.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #11256
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsv650r
As an aside, there's a tri-geek here who recently forgot her P3 was on the roof rack when she pulled into the garage.... only part of it remained on the rack
I did that with my old Stumpjumper once. tore the yakima rack off the car, the Stumpjumper wasn't a bit tweaked

Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #11257
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Bad, bad, bad, bad...

Just bought this...

I'll say "It's my anniversary present."

Think that'll work?
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #11258
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
Bad, bad, bad, bad...

Just bought this...

Think that'll work?
Tip. Don't forget...and sit. You're welcome.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #11259
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Think that'll work?
I'd say that there is foresight not having a seat on that thing 'cuz yer wife is gonna skin yer ass.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #11260
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Cool post on Dgrin about IF
Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #11261
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
Those guys are wizards. Got one of their machines. It's an amazing beast.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #11262
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
Dude, keep up!

Rutt's a good shot, for sure
Old 06-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #11263
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Biggest Loser Contest at work. I've gained 50 lbs since starting an IT job 7 years ago, getting divorced, getting married again, turning 35, and having kids to stay home and take care of. It was time and the contest provided that little bit of incentive ($650 cash to winner). Plus I just have to live long enough to see my daughters grow up.

I started at first on an exercise bike, 5 miles a day. I worked my way up to burning 500-700 calories a day on that ex bike. I got bored of that and took my father in law's old bike (Miyata) down off the wall in his garage where it has been untouched for 20 years. New tubes and tires and I hit the road, often at night when the kids are asleep, some tunes in the MP3 player, little red blinky to try not be ran over. I signed up for 6 mos. gym membership but I hardly have time to go. I'd rather bicycle. I'll use that membership for strength training starting when I get back from vacation next week.

Now I'm cycling more than motorcycling and it really saves money on tires, lol. I'm mountain biking with a group a couple times a week and they are fairly extreme and I'm almost able to keep up, even with the crappy old rigid suspension bike.

Added benefits..
no heartburn or acid reflux ever.
can wear off the shelf leathers so time for some track days.
going to learn to ski this winter since my knees won't be under so much stress and I can actually breath.
mtb in Moab on "business trip" in two weeks.
the wife is happy about it, use your imagination

Next step is to build up my own touring bike and try that out.

James
Well done James

I started at about 285 and I did go down as far as 225 but I bounced back up to 250 and I am down to 240 at the moment. Cycling really helped me - I don't count calories and still drink like a fish on a Friday (beer night eh ?) but I do try to get 100 miles in every week if not more. I needed to lose the weight and I bought a dirt-bike and I figured that lasting more than 2 hours before passing out would be a good thing - I can do day-long intense dirt-rides pretty easy now. OK, well maybe not easy but I can do them.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #11264
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
Stoopid bike n00btard question.

I broke the front brake cable on my bicycle. Is this a manufacturer only part or would a local bike shop be able to match it up for me?

It is some sort of a Trek mountain type thing.

Any bike shop can get you a new cable. There aer even some odd upgrades I bet, some sort of carbon-boron-teflon-double-dark-chocolate-expensive stuff..
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #11265
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,766
... and now I have to count calories? Rats!

Yeah, I'm slowly sneaking toward 200 pounds.

I think the big fat-pills are:
1. wine
2. crackers/cheese
3. occational hamburger at the local cafe, (Mmmm so good with fresh diced onion, tomato, and pickles )
4. wine...
5. probably the single malt too...

And the big fat-pill is the TV + couch combo I tend to gravitate toward all too often...

During the four weeks I ratched up to my high mileage average of 140, I was slowly eeking away at the squishy bit around my middle.

I really need to drop 20 pounds and up the push-bike mileage. Well here goes. I'm holding out on my final decision on the Iowa thing until the last damn minute. I figure I have two more weeks to make the call either way. I'll have to order the fancy box to ship the bike in since shipping is cheaper than the airlines, and probably safer.
This weekend I'm going to try and do a couple of long hard rides. On the knobbies. I figure I can use the work. Tonight I am goin to tweak my riding position a bit. I noticed my seat was way the hell back from where it looked like it should be.
two and a hlf more hours of play time here then run home and get tired again.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: