Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 322 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #11356
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Like I said, they don't feel "right". Although I gues I have no idea what "right" is when it comes to sealed bearings. Still feels as if it's slightly too tight, but maybe that's just the drag from the seals.
yeah, I remember my first sealed bearings.. I was used to Campi old school loose bearings, which when set up right, you could flick the axle and it would spin for seconds... the sealed bearings felt like they were in molasses by comparision... however, if you spun the -wheel-, it spun just about as well, and with your full weight on the axles, they were just fine.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #11357
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Well, my Iowa RAGBRAI plans went into the can, last Thursday when I slipped the front out from under my fat butt and planed my ribs on the ground with vigor.

This week has seen one cough that "clicked" my rib cage. And just because I wasn't having enough fun with that, I managed to almost abort a few sneezes.
Those things nearly black me out.

Needless to say, I'm not riding the bicycle. In fact last night I nearly dropped the Adventure when stopping in the garage.
when the doc told me he figured they were bruised, I figured a week off the bike, but then he went on to explain that many times they can't seen a break and a cough or sneeze will reveal it. Judging by the pain, I'm thinking I'm off my bicycles for maybe three weeks maybe more.

Bottom line... My second try to get to RAGBRAI is dead in the water. Or dirt I guess would be mre accurate. I'm trying to eat as little crap as possible and lunches are slads now, in an attempt at not billowing out of my clothes during this period of zero exercise.

As a medical asside, a half bottle of wine seems to have less side affects than one Vicotin ES. Tastes better too.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #11358
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
I hate goat heads! Chilling out drinking some iced chai (with a shot of espresso) and I notice my tire is flatter then flat stanley. Oh well at least I made it the whole 12 miles before it gave up the ghost. I must have picked up the goat head in the last mile or so.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #11359
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
I hate goat heads! Chilling out drinking some iced chai (with a shot of espresso) and I notice my tire is flatter then flat stanley. Oh well at least I made it the whole 12 miles before it gave up the ghost. I must have picked up the goat head in the last mile or so.
I havent had one on my cruiser since I mounted Hemisphere Armadillo tires from Specialized. these have a kevlar liner on the tire that seems quite effective at stopping thorns like goats heads.

I'm pretty sure Specialized has Armadillo tires in various other styles and sizes, the Hemisphere is a 26x1.9" semi-slick suitable for fat tire road bikes. obviously, these aren't race tires, but they'd be good practice tires on a race bike in the right size/style.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #11360
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I havent had one on my cruiser since I mounted Hemisphere Armadillo tires from Specialized. these have a kevlar liner on the tire that seems quite effective at stopping thorns like goats heads.

I'm pretty sure Specialized has Armadillo tires in various other styles and sizes, the Hemisphere is a 26x1.9" semi-slick suitable for fat tire road bikes. obviously, these aren't race tires, but they'd be good practice tires on a race bike in the right size/style.

I might just try these out for my next set of tires. I only wish they came in wider sizes. Only 29x2.0 and 29x2.2. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #11361
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
so here is my quick lil update...

I just took 1st place and now leading the points in the series (age cat of course)...

and too friggin tired to care

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #11362
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Congrats.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #11363
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,322
fast girl–giv 'er!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #11364
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Pparently I was 14 minutes ahead of the rest

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)

playzNmud screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 09:59 AM
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #11365
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,463
Oh fuck. I just got bitten by the road racing bug. Hard.

"Superior Bike Fest" was this weekend. 3 days of bicycle racing up here in da UP. Crit, Circuit, Road, XC, Downhill, and maybe something else I forgot.

Anyway, a bunch of my fellow teammates without a USAC license decided to do the citizen 35 mile road race and just stick together and go as fast as we can as a team. Even though we lost the lead group of 3 guys, we still killed it. I was first across the line in 6th, and we had 3 firsts in the age categories within our group. Bummer is, this is the only road race within 250 miles of me. This is gonna get expensive.

Oh, and crit racing in a downtown municipal settings is some of the most fun I've had on a bike.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #11366
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud
Pparently I was 16 minutes ahead of the rest

Nothing like winning with authority.

I sandbagged (did the 16 instead of 24 mile XC MTB race) this weekend and got myself a medal. Only managed 4th overall though. It was a nice break from getting my ass handed to me in the longer races I typically do.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #11367
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 979
Now look what I've gone and done

I'd been thinking about padding up for a while. My girlfriend started to strongly encourage it after the second or third time last year that I returned to the trailhead looking like this:

Instead I started just going around or walking or carefully rolling over the sort of trail features that had gotten me hurt, instead of bombing through them or trying to huck or jump them. So I bought myself some strap-on courage and some platforms so that I can bail a little more easily when things go bad. I'm not planning to use the gear on every ride, maybe not even most.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #11368
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol

I want some of that for crit racing. Things were pretty tame for us Cat 5 guys, but I think the cat 4 guys were trying to kill each other. Some seriously horrendous wrecks in that race.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #11369
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
I want some of that for crit racing. Things were pretty tame for us Cat 5 guys, but I think the cat 4 guys were trying to kill each other. Some seriously horrendous wrecks in that race.
One side benefit that you might appreciate is the ability to annoy your teammates by using lines like "These aren't the droids we're looking for" far beyond the point at which they still carry any humor.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #11370
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
One side benefit that you might appreciate is the ability to annoy your teammates by using lines like "These aren't the droids we're looking for" far beyond the point at which they still carry any humor.

Perfect!

We camped for the weekend, and Winsconsin sent some of their finest citizens to be our neighbors for the weekend. Around 3am on Friday night, two of these fine and considerate fellow campers decided to express their deep and profound love for eachother by getting totally smashed and yelling various colorful metaphors at one another for several hours.

"YOU FUCKING WHORE!" was our team slogan for the weekend.

Of course, the possibility exists that there may have been nothing metaphorical about that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: