Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #11431
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
Those are made 5 miles north of here in Ooltewah, TN. See lots of them being ridden around here by old, slow, rich guys. Very nice bikes.
I'd almost fit in, I'm an old, slow, poor guy

and yes it rides nice
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #11432
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
I am 6'3" with 33" inseam. I ride Jamis bikes and have a 61 cm Jamis Ventura Comp frame.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #11433
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser
if I'm 6'2'' with 32 inseam what size road bike am I looking for?

Seriously: get at least a preliminary fit from an LBS that's good at that kind of thing before you start buying. BUT and here's a time when advice is worth what you pay for it, you could get away with a 60cm TT maybe 61/62. I haven't the foggiest what you look like so take that with a BIG grain of salt.

M

What he said. Kinda. Go to the bike shop and test ride as many bikes in a couple of sizes as you can. Then go to another bike shop and repeat. Keep it up until you are sick of it, then just buy something close off craigslist and let it sit in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I am 6'3" with 33" inseam. I ride Jamis bikes and have a 61 cm Jamis Ventura Comp frame.

Perfect example. I'm 6'2" with a 34.5" inseam, and I also ride a Jamis Ventura in a 61 frame. It's too big for me and I am shopping for something smaller.
After todays test rides, the specialized roubaix in a 58 is at the top of the list.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #11434
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

And if you want to get in the ballpark of what size you need, use this.

Fit Calculator.

It will at least give you some general guidelines if you know what style of ride you are looking for. But to be honest, I find it pretty useless just looking at the manufacturers numbers. Much better to just go test riding bikes.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #11435
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
What he said. Kinda. Go to the bike shop and test ride as many bikes in a couple of sizes as you can. Then go to another bike shop and repeat. Keep it up until you are sick of it, then just buy something close off craigslist and let it sit in the garage.
way to screw the bike shops out of their business.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #11436
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser
what kind of bike would the collective recommend for a n00b who wants a decent quality road bike with a bit of vintage flair?

something ala those old ubiquitous Schwinn 10 speeds, but updated?
So how much are we looking to spend here? You can really go nuts in the vintage flair department these days.

I like these, but the price is pretty steep: http://www.rivbike.com/
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #11437
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
way to screw the bike shops out of their business.
When he realizes that he likes riding and wants to get something that truly fits and has good components he'll go back to the one that gave him the best recommendations and help and drop the $3K for a good bike.
I'd be pissed if I spent the money to buy something new last year to find out it doesn't really fit right and I need to buy something else this year if I had paid retail price on it.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #11438
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
So how much are we looking to spend here? You can really go nuts in the vintage flair department these days.
the OPs reference model for 'vintage' was Schwinn, presumably meaning the ubiquitous Varsity and Continental models of the late 60s/early 1970s.

you know, welded soft steel frames, ashtabula solid steel one piece cranks with stamped steel sprockets, and Huret derailleurs... wheel bearings made from pot metal, 27" steel rims with tin plated wire spokes, and bad centerpull brakes
Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #11439
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
so he's got a long torso. I'm 6' tall w/ a 30-31" inseam. same boat. Specialized bikes seem to fit long torso people particularly well.
I'm only 5'8" with a longer torso and I agree that Specialized bikes tend to fit our body style very well. I've had a bunch of em over the years.

M
Old 07-02-2009, 05:50 AM   #11440
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
6'2" only 32" inseam?
I'm 5'10", I've got 34-36" inseam easily... I ride a 56 cm frame.
Your inseam changes by 2" on a given day? I don't wanna know!

But seriously, you are a PRIME candidate for a custom bike. If you're not pulling our legs, those are some seriously non-average (male) proportions. Your seat-to-handlebar drop must be insane! I'm an inch taller than you, and my inseam, on average, is 4" less than yours (I ride a custom bike with a 56.5 seat and 57 top).
Old 07-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #11441
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
When he realizes that he likes riding and wants to get something that truly fits and has good components he'll go back to the one that gave him the best recommendations and help and drop the $3K for a good bike.
I'd be pissed if I spent the money to buy something new last year to find out it doesn't really fit right and I need to buy something else this year if I had paid retail price on it.
+1

It took me a few bikes and some $$ to figger out what I liked and what I didn't.

M
Old 07-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #11442
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Your inseam changes by 2" on a given day? I don't wanna know!
Depending on my physical condition and flexibility, I change seat height, crankarm length stem length at least twice during a racing season. Nothing drastic, but definately feel the difference over a 60 mi. ride/race. I wouldn't spend the $$ for custom when I could adjust a regular showroom bike to fit my purpose.

Though for Kawalaser, if he wants to stick with one single bike for a long long time, custom might be the ticket.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #11443
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez
I think he's making fun of you.

I don't know man.

I think he's trying to steal 'most self-absorbed' poster title from you.

You're gonna need to up your game.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #11444
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Depending on my physical condition and flexibility, I change seat height, crankarm length stem length at least twice during a racing season. Nothing drastic, but definately feel the difference over a 60 mi. ride/race. I wouldn't spend the $$ for custom when I could adjust a regular showroom bike to fit my purpose.

Though for Kawalaser, if he wants to stick with one single bike for a long long time, custom might be the ticket.
Yo Kawalaser - is your 32 inch spec your pant inseam? Because that is likely NOT your real inseam.

For example, my real measured inseam is 34.5inches. However, because I weigh 270, unless I choose to wear custom pants, the cut of pants I wear forces me to choose 32inch inseam pants.

A stock bike is a ridiculous choice for me. A 60cm bike built for 200lb guy with the crappy parts that come on anything under $4k will feel like shit if you have any size to you.

If you're outside of the bell curve, go talk to someone at a bike shop who knows what they're talking about and let them spec you out. They'll get you set up.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #11445
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
Yo Kawalaser - is your 32 inch spec your pant inseam? Because that is likely NOT your real inseam.

For example, my real measured inseam is 34.5inches. However, because I weigh 270, unless I choose to wear custom pants, the cut of pants I wear forces me to choose 32inch inseam pants.

A stock bike is a ridiculous choice for me. A 60cm bike built for 200lb guy with the crappy parts that come on anything under $4k will feel like shit if you have any size to you.

If you're outside of the bell curve, go talk to someone at a bike shop who knows what they're talking about and let them spec you out. They'll get you set up.
Thanks for the info, Jav (and everyone else).

32'' is my typical pant inseam.

My budget for a pedal bike is low, since I just dropped large wad on my motorized bike so that'll be good for another 15,000 miles.

I mean, four large? I see how deep the rabbit hole goes...

I am thinking sub $1,000 -- maybe second-hand. Is that a bad idea with bicycles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: