Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #11461
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser
I mean, four large? I see how deep the rabbit hole goes...

I am thinking sub $1,000 -- maybe second-hand. Is that a bad idea with bicycles?
$4k is pretty well upper mid-level at the high end of 'serious' bikes. There's bikes that go well over $10k. Surf back a few pages and take a gander at the S-Works I'm over

M
Old 07-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #11462
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
Out of curiosity, is anyone here a frame builder?

I mean like a real honest to god, measure the human, determine his riding styles and handling preferences, then build the perfect frame kinda builder?

As I've learned a whole hell of a lot more about human kinesthetics, neuro-muscular triggers, bicycle geometry, framing styles, and materials over the past couple years I've become more than half serious about taking a sabbatical and learning how to build bike frames. I have two custom made machines that are like personal gifts from God, and even guys who really, really know bikes are impressed as hell when they ride them. I'd like to know more about this stuff.

If you are, could you PM me?
The guys that teach bicycle mechanics up in the NorthWet teach a framebuilding course (or did) too.

Echelon Cycle Works (I forget his ADV name) is another good resource.

I've been thinkin hard about learnin how to TIG and orderin up some tubes to have fun with.

M
Old 07-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #11463
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
The guys that teach bicycle mechanics up in the NorthWet teach a framebuilding course (or did) too.

I've been thinkin hard about learnin how to TIG and orderin up some tubes to have fun with.

M
I did some brazing back when I was a machinist. Silver solder type stuff to make tooling. It was actually pretty simple concept. The cool stuff is building the frame jig to support the structure during the braze, then tooling to straighten the frame once you're done. Of course that was for lugged steel. I used to know a few builders, but it has been a long time. I have no time or room to play like that.
I miss having a machine shop.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #11464
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
I did some brazing back when I was a machinist. Silver solder type stuff to make tooling. It was actually pretty simple concept. The cool stuff is building the frame jig to support the structure during the braze, then tooling to straighten the frame once you're done. Of course that was for lugged steel. I used to know a few builders, but it has been a long time. I have no time or room to play like that.
I miss having a machine shop.
If you can do that, you can filet braze a frame.

The trick is in the prep (or so I've heard)

M
Old 07-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #11465
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,687
What the hell happened?

I usually air up my tires once a month. Never had an issue before, but today when I went to get my bike out for a ride the rear was flat. Dead flat. Not a bit of air left in it. I had filled them before my ride on Tuesday and had no issues during the ride. I pumped it back up and listened to it to try and find a leak, heard nothing so I did my normal weekday ride. It held up just fine. I just went down and checked it again, and it's right where it should be.

The only thing I did differently is I usually lean it against the east wall facing south in the basement, and after Tuesdays ride, I leaned it against the west wall facing north. Could the earth's rotation have anything to do with it?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #11466
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
I would think the jig would have to be very well set up and it would take some time and errors to know what to weld in what order to get the frame to not get too far out, and then learn how to "tweak" it back into the proper dimension.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #11467
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
I usually air up my tires once a month. Never had an issue before, but today when I went to get my bike out for a ride the rear was flat. Dead flat. Not a bit of air left in it. I had filled them before my ride on Tuesday and had no issues during the ride. I pumped it back up and listened to it to try and find a leak, heard nothing so I did my normal weekday ride. It held up just fine. I just went down and checked it again, and it's right where it should be.
presto or schraeder valves? I've had valves decide to get leaky then when refilled decide to be good again. with shraeder valves, sometimmes the core isn't quite screwed in tight enough and this happens more frequently, having a shraeder valve core wrench and tightening them a bit can help immensely.

in the old old days, when I ran silk sewups on my road bike, fully flat overnight was pretty much normal, and every ride started with a pumping session. but that was because paper thin latex inner tubes were inherently porous. on long rides, repumping at lunch was usually a good idea too.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #11468
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I would think the jig would have to be very well set up and it would take some time and errors to know what to weld in what order to get the frame to not get too far out, and then learn how to "tweak" it back into the proper dimension.
I can't help but think that lugs help with that alignment? and silver soldering or brazing is a lot less violent to the metal than mig/tig welding, so ditto the temp differences will make less distortion in the jigging.

but, a proper jig would hold those tubes *exactly* where you want them regardless.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #11469
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:

M
Damn straight!

I think I fell in love with this idea when the guys cutting my bike made it clear that my choice of tire, hub and rim would affect the top tube length, head tube angle, and fork offset in order to keep the feel of the machine with the width handlebar they felt I needed.

Apparently they'd plot leverage against the gyro effect of the week, picked the proper length of stem, and were going to build the frame around that particularly steering feel.

I thought that was awesome. And thus began the descent into madness.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #11470
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Damn straight!

I think I fell in love with this idea when the guys cutting my bike made it clear that my choice of tire, hub and rim would affect the top tube length, head tube angle, and fork offset in order to keep the feel of the machine with the width handlebar they felt I needed.

Apparently they'd plot leverage against the gyro effect of the week, picked the proper length of stem, and were going to build the frame around that particularly steering feel.

I thought that was awesome. And thus began the descent into madness.
THAT explains try to do an enduro on the GS.

Gotcha

M
Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #11471
Javarilla
Escapee

Quote:
THAT explains try to do an enduro on the GS.

Gotcha

M

Also explains why riding the 525 is so fucking boring.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #11472
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

Also explains why riding the 525 is so fucking boring.
Trade ya for an ATK 605...

That way, you won't get the 'is it a Kawasaki' you'll get 'whatthefuckisanATK?'

M
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #11473
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Out of curiosity, is anyone here a frame builder?

I mean like a real honest to god, measure the human, determine his riding styles and handling preferences, then build the perfect frame kinda builder?
I think the inmate Se7en works at Seven Cycles. He could probably point you in the right direction.
http://www.sevencycles.com/home.php
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #11474
Javarilla
Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
I think the inmate Se7en works at Seven Cycles. He could probably point you in the right direction.
http://www.sevencycles.com/home.php

Awesome! Thanks!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #11475
Javarilla
Escapee

Quote:
Trade ya for an ATK 605...

That way, you won't get the 'is it a Kawasaki' you'll get 'whatthefuckisanATK?'

M
Nah. I got my Czar. I'm done with internal combustion in the woods and the deserts.

All I need is a funky little pedal bike that likes to chew on my legs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: