ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #11536
Oznerol
The Happy Machine
 
Oznerol's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
I think its time she got a proper mountain bike. Any input from a smaller woman rider? She's 5'0. playNzmud? My budget is going to be around the $1000 mark.
Look at the Myka hardtails from Specialized. My girlfriend is a hair under 5'0", and found that the Mykas had the best fit of anything she tried this past spring. She was shopping for (and bought) the full-suspension version of the bike, but the hardtails run a bit smaller and will easily fit within your budget.

BTW, (more) great pics.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #11537
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: CenCoCal
Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I like the big S bikes. Trek makes some good female specific frames too.

The mid-level FSRs (or whatever they call the wimmen's version) have been perennial favorites.

Oh, and Giant makes some good dual squishy bikes too.

M
She likes the Specialized bikes. It's all really going to come down to what fit her the best. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
Look at the Myka hardtails from Specialized. My girlfriend is a hair under 5'0", and found that the Mykas had the best fit of anything she tried this past spring. She was shopping for (and bought) the full-suspension version of the bike, but the hardtails run a bit smaller and will easily fit within your budget.

BTW, (more) great pics.
Thanks for the input. She's been eyeing the Myka ever since I said I'd buy her another bike. She asked me if she needed the full-suspension and I wasn't sure what to tell her since I love my rigid MTB. I just want her to be happy.

I'm really going to miss all this amazing single track here in Prescott.
__________________
"There are no such things as accidents—just two people competing for the same point on the space-time continuum."

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #11538
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
She likes the Specialized bikes. It's all really going to come down to what fit her the best. Thanks for the suggestions.



Thanks for the input. She's been eyeing the Myka ever since I said I'd buy her another bike. She asked me if she needed the full-suspension and I wasn't sure what to tell her since I love my rigid MTB. I just want her to be happy.

I'm really going to miss all this amazing single track here in Prescott.
I like hardtails, but that's cause I've never ridden a decent dual squishy bike on trails.

I started riding way back before there was such a thing as suspension. You learned to pick yer lines. DS bikes tend to encourage willy-nilly bash over anything and let the suspension soak it up riding that you just couldn't get away with back then.

I think she'd be happier with an XC type DS bike to take the beating outta riding. Since she's not big, lighter = better. Try last year's Giant Anthems (there's a 14" on ebay) too

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #11539
DoctorIt
vrooom!
 
DoctorIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Springfield, MA
Oddometer: 5,682
Any of you tall dudes out there looking for a full-suspension bike? A friend has a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp for sale, size XL, heck of a deal - it's just too big for him (trade for smaller??). PM me if you're interested, I'm not gonna spam this thread with a link to his sale.
__________________
Erik
Professor for hire.
DoctorIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #11540
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Any of you tall dudes out there looking for a full-suspension bike? A friend has a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp for sale, size XL, heck of a deal - it's just too big for him (trade for smaller??). PM me if you're interested, I'm not gonna spam this thread with a link to his sale.
ooof. XL is too big. I have a '02 FSR Disc Medium that I'd love to trade for a Large. I've upgraded my Mantilou forks with heftier springs, too (stock was setup for someone about 130 lbs, I swear).
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #11541
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
ooof. XL is too big. I have a '02 FSR Disc Medium that I'd love to trade for a Large. I've upgraded my Mantilou forks with heftier springs, too (stock was setup for someone about 130 lbs, I swear).
Yeah, that M is WAY too small for you.

Just about right for me tho!

Send it to Gummee! XXXX Gatehinge Ct Tucson, AZ

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #11542
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 858
Great thread! I've recently started commuting on an older Raleigh M5000 full-suspension MTB. I did swap out the knobbies for a set of Serfas Drifter city tires (which aren't half bad for light off-road duty, BTW), but I feel like too much of my pedaling effort is being lost to movement of the suspension.

So, I'm going to return my early 90's vintage GT Timberline to duty as a commuter/hybrid. Can't beat that CroMo Triple-Triangle frame!

My dad has used it sparingly over the years, but mostly it has laid in state for the last 10 years. It's been kept indoors, so no worries there. Should I be thinking about getting into the headset and bottom bracket for cleaning and regreasing? Also, the rear derailleur will only shift up. It's a Shimano Exage 500LX with the indexing shifters that have two thumb levers rather than the modern thumb and forefinger setup. I think the shifter itself is broken and they seem to be in short supply on the Interwebs. Could I used something like an Shimano Alivio shifter as a replacement? Just trying to keep the costs to a minimum. Any other suggestions for this little project would be welcome.
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #11543
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster
Great thread! I've recently started commuting on an older Raleigh M5000 full-suspension MTB. I did swap out the knobbies for a set of Serfas Drifter city tires (which aren't half bad for light off-road duty, BTW), but I feel like too much of my pedaling effort is being lost to movement of the suspension.

So, I'm going to return my early 90's vintage GT Timberline to duty as a commuter/hybrid. Can't beat that CroMo Triple-Triangle frame!

My dad has used it sparingly over the years, but mostly it has laid in state for the last 10 years. It's been kept indoors, so no worries there. Should I be thinking about getting into the headset and bottom bracket for cleaning and regreasing? Also, the rear derailleur will only shift up. It's a Shimano Exage 500LX with the indexing shifters that have two thumb levers rather than the modern thumb and forefinger setup. I think the shifter itself is broken and they seem to be in short supply on the Interwebs. Could I used something like an Shimano Alivio shifter as a replacement? Just trying to keep the costs to a minimum. Any other suggestions for this little project would be welcome.
I have a pair of XT 7sp shifters if you need em. Not sure what I'd charge ya tho... Not as much as ebay! Cantilever only.

You can get shifters that'll work with yer old stuff from yer LBS, but ya gotta be careful to order the right stuff. Get V-brake compatible stuff and yer gonna be upgrading other things as well.

To try and get started, blast the stuff out of the shifters with Tri-Flow or WD-40. That may free up stuff for a bit, but its temporary.

If yer gonna make this bike into a road-only bike, you're gonna want a smaller cassette and/or bigger chainrings. Mtn sized stuff is gonna mean boat slow on the road.

HTH

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #11544
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I have a pair of XT 7sp shifters if you need em. Not sure what I'd charge ya tho... Not as much as ebay! Cantilever only.

You can get shifters that'll work with yer old stuff from yer LBS, but ya gotta be careful to order the right stuff. Get V-brake compatible stuff and yer gonna be upgrading other things as well.

To try and get started, blast the stuff out of the shifters with Tri-Flow or WD-40. That may free up stuff for a bit, but its temporary.

If yer gonna make this bike into a road-only bike, you're gonna want a smaller cassette and/or bigger chainrings. Mtn sized stuff is gonna mean boat slow on the road.

HTH

M
Thanks Gummee! Yeah, shifters/brake levers are intergrated together, so it's looking like a seperate shifter won't do the trick. I'm definately going to try to clean out the shifter mechaninsim, maybe I'll get lucky. If that doesn't work, I saw a nifty looking singlespeed conversion kit from Nashbar. Gonna talk to the guys at my LBS too, they helped me get the Raleigh back on the road. Thanks for the tip re: the chainrings and cassettes, something for me to remember once I find this elusive thing called "fitness". As slow as it is, this bike can go faster than I'm currently able to pedal it!
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #11545
Oznerol
The Happy Machine
 
Oznerol's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
Thanks for the input. She's been eyeing the Myka ever since I said I'd buy her another bike. She asked me if she needed the full-suspension and I wasn't sure what to tell her since I love my rigid MTB. I just want her to be happy.
My girlfriend has been a good bit happier with her full-suspension Myka than with her old Gary Fisher hardtail, but I think that has at least as much to do with the better fit and the better-quality fork as with the rear suspension.

I find FS helpful when I want to go really fast or ride all day on moderately rocky/rooty trails. Most of the trails you've posted look pretty nontechnical to me (no offense intended), so I'd think a hardtail would be fine. It'd help keep the weight down, too.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #11546
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer
 
cornercarver's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Pasadena, CA
Oddometer: 18,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster
My dad has used it sparingly over the years, but mostly it has laid in state for the last 10 years. It's been kept indoors, so no worries there. Should I be thinking about getting into the headset and bottom bracket for cleaning and regreasing? Also, the rear derailleur will only shift up. It's a Shimano Exage 500LX with the indexing shifters that have two thumb levers rather than the modern thumb and forefinger setup. I think the shifter itself is broken and they seem to be in short supply on the Interwebs. Could I used something like an Shimano Alivio shifter as a replacement? Just trying to keep the costs to a minimum. Any other suggestions for this little project would be welcome.
[/SIZE]
I've done many a rebuild on supposedly non-rebuildable rapidfire shifters (the thumb and forefinger ones, though). On the thumb and forefinger models there's a little lever on a spring that acts as a ratchet into a rotating disk that prevents it from spinning backwards until the release button pulls it back out of the way. On every old shifter I've ever fixed, the ratchet had stopped rotating freely on its post, which caused it to no longer act as a ratchet effectively. The disk would push it out of the way, but then it wouldn't spring into the next groove. Some careful disassembly and lube always fixes it. A squirt of spray lube and some judicious fiddling would probably work just as well. I'd definitely try to open them up and see if you can't figure out what is wrong with them. Some of the internal parts are inevitably just not designed to come apart, but unless one of those is one of the broken parts, odds are good you'll be able to repair it. They aren't that complicated, internally.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #11547
DoctorIt
vrooom!
 
DoctorIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Springfield, MA
Oddometer: 5,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
... I'd think a hardtail would be fine. It'd help keep the weight down, too.
And the cost.

I agree, for trails like the ones you showed us, don't really "need" a fully sprung bike. Money better spent on higher quality components, maybe even a better fitting option like a women's specific, which only tend to be available in higher level models.
__________________
Erik
Professor for hire.
DoctorIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #11548
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster
Thanks Gummee! Yeah, shifters/brake levers are intergrated together, so it's looking like a seperate shifter won't do the trick. I'm definately going to try to clean out the shifter mechaninsim, maybe I'll get lucky. If that doesn't work, I saw a nifty looking singlespeed conversion kit from Nashbar. Gonna talk to the guys at my LBS too, they helped me get the Raleigh back on the road. Thanks for the tip re: the chainrings and cassettes, something for me to remember once I find this elusive thing called "fitness". As slow as it is, this bike can go faster than I'm currently able to pedal it!
That is the same as the early XT shifter/brake levers I updated off my old Rocky Mountain. The shifters didn't work that well, but worked a bit. I'll look around for the box of parts when I get home. I'm not so sure they still exist in my garage. They were sort of trashy when I [pulled them off.

I bought a $120 set of Performance wheels, (rim brake or disc), swapped out the brakes for V-brakes. Shifters for 9-speed along with a new XT take-off rear and a 9-speed cassette for the wheel. Maybe $300 total? Not more than that. The Take-off XT ran about $50 or so. The shifters were the most money I think, about $100 or so. The XT front V-brake was on sale a year or so ago, but never did get the rear I wanted. I can't remember if I paid for it or not.
Anyway, I think if I had it to do all over again, I'd just go spring for the full squishie Stumpie and have been done with it for a year. I would have broekn the ribs long ago so be all healed by now too.
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #11549
soewe812
Wag more Bark less
 
soewe812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Springville, Utah
Oddometer: 997
So is it normal...

for this to happen when you sign up for your first race?



Thought I would clean and lube the bike for my race this Saturday and what do I find? LBS had one tire in my size thank dog. Utah Tour de Donut here I come!
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #11550
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 4,942
have a doughnut for me
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014