Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #11536
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Outta curiosity, why the sports subsection?

M
Because he owns the place?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #11537
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Outta curiosity, why the sports subsection?

M
Ever been to an ADV rally and noticed the lack of athletes there? Yeah, me too. Us minority inmates gotta stick together.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:20 AM   #11538
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy
I'm back to doing centuries on Saturday mornings. Nothing gets me in shape like getting on the bike and riding to the coast and back. There's a mountain that separates me from home during the last 30 miles and I just have to suck it up.
As in, this is just a regular Saturday morning thing and then come home and mow the lawn and what not?

All the racers are getting back and posting stories from the Tour Divide. It's inspiring me to try all kinds of stupid stuff.

In about 5 hours, I'll get on my bike- and if everything goes according to plan, won't get off (much) for 12 hours. Yep, endurance race. One of my teammates managed 23 5.5 mile laps last year. I'm hoping for 18.181818181818. Or death. Whichever comes first.

If this goes well, I've got an idea for a 4 day mixed pavement/dirt ride from my house to Duluth, MN- about 500 miles round trip.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:04 AM   #11539
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,292
I love the tour divide and GDR stuff. I was reading about some crazy 20-year old Deanna Adams who finished the tour divide which is impressive enough. But add in the fact that she epilepsy, is a vegan (hard to carry enough calories), and oh did I mention she was riding a fixie?
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #11540
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
Ever been to an ADV rally and noticed the lack of athletes there? Yeah, me too. Us minority inmates gotta stick together.
There's been agitating for a separate forum for a while... Why now? woulda been a better question.

M
Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #11541
Vance
On my meds...

Oddometer: 18,258
Man I'm havin fun on my XXIX! I'm not getting any bouncy fork. It's just fine rigid. Seems that the big wheels have a little extra cush or something? Found 8 miles of single track just down the street from my house. Didn't even know it was there.

I'm sick of spiders though. There are not a ton of off road riders around here and it seems that every time I take a week off riding the trails, the freakin spiders build their webs right across them. Every 30 yards or so I get a spider web across the face and hope that the little suckers drop off of me rather than try to bite my ear or something.

I'm trying to invent a big, fishing pole type extension off of the front of my bike to wipe away the spiders...but it would just get caught in the turns.

Oh well... Haven't broken anything yet. Seems like the Raleigh is purdy tough...
Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #11542
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
All the racers are getting back and posting stories from the Tour Divide. It's inspiring me to try all kinds of stupid stuff.
I've been following a ride log that one of the lower-key Divide riders kept. Man, that looks like all kinds of fun.

I'm less than a month away from D2R2 -- 60+ miles of hilly dirt roads in Western, MA. I'm not ready for it. I met up with a local mountain biking group on thursday for a social ride, and was dragging off the back most of the time. Polite folks; They didn't complain at all about having to repeatedly wait for me to catch up. Mainly I think I was just under-fed and under-hydrated from the start. Things improved a lot after the first hour, as the granola bars I was cramming down started to have some effect.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #11543
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,915
Quote:
I'm back to doing centuries on Saturday mornings. Nothing gets me in shape like getting on the bike and riding to the coast and back. There's a mountain that separates me from home during the last 30 miles and I just have to suck it up.

GO Baldy GO! You got serious pain management skills. I'm getting back into roadies again! I have the great flat plains at my door with some light rolling hills and a trek plant up the road that keeps me inspired. Those factory guys ride way too damn fast... Awesome to watch the pack come by most weekends.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #11544
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,954
Here are some shots of my Rivendell. Grant called this a "Long Low" when it was offered in his lineup of custom frames, back when? Must have been 1997 or '98. Hand built, lugged steel frame, fits great. Yes, I have the front brake lever on the right side, and did the woven handlebar tape myself. I don't quite every Rivendell doodad on there, but a few...

Old 07-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #11545
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Mtn wheels?

M
Old 07-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #11546
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
they didn't all seem so bad at the last one I was at?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #11547
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
they didn't all seem so bad at the last one I was at?
oh??? do tell... which one did you attend??

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #11548
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
I have a secret....

sounds like.....

tight ass.....

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #11549
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,685
Quote:
Outstanding.
A bit jealous....

The only coast I get to ride to is a big stinky lake

Lots of hill however
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #11550
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,734
MTB trail-riding crashing or learning curve.

My exuberance for going fast is rearing it's head as I progress at trail riding on single track in the Greensboro area.

As a 55 yr old brand new to this nonsense, I find myself getting comparatively faster at climbs, roots, stumps, downhill twisties, steps & radical gullies.

In one hour I can get a total body workout that I wouldn't get riding 3 on the road. And my hbm get into the 170 range, which doesn't happen on the road

Anyway my speed is getting up there (relatively speaking) and I'm applying dirt bike logic to what I'm doing. I crash a lot on my dirt bike and haven't on the mtb.So I need to gear up or get better technique. What gear besides a normal bicycle helmet, gloves and glasses do you wear?

Are there any good videos for mtb trail riding like the stuff Neduro puts out for adventure bikes?

Thanks for any advice.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: