Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #11581
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
You guys have bird issues in the UP? Lots of folks in Brisbane would dress up their helmets like that to discourage swooping birds (usuall magpies) during nesting season. Those little f'ers don't mess around, swooping was a daily event.
That's a great idea.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #11582
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Heading off for a couple of day mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking trip. Going with an insanely brave new rider but with little skills, should be fun. Plans is to hit White Clay in Delaware, then climb Seneca Rocks in WV, hit some rapids in either the Gauley or New River Gorge, then do some climbing, and then ride Snowshoe, or wherever.
No real itinerary, just a bunch of gear, bikes, a tent, and a truck. Any advice from anyone who rides these areas would be appreciated.
The climbing at the New River Gorge is great stuff. IIRC one of the doods I knew in college is running the outdoor shop/store near there. Ask em for advice.

AFA riding in WV... Y'know... Now that I think about it, I haven't done much riding there. DC? Sure. If its on the way, hit Gambrill Mtn. Great stuff. Remember when yer riding boulder fields that momentum (not necessarily speed) is yer friend.

HTH

M
Old 07-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #11583
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud
I feel ya on that!!

I had a back to back weekend this one past. On Saturday, the XC... 24 mile race - on my beater hardtail (and blown front fork)... and I moved up a cat too

I caught up to the lead group of 4 - my chain came off!

I start to catch up to them again..... CHAIN OFF AGAIN!!!!

then over bars, I lose all my food and water (somewhere around mile 7)!!!

Chain comes off a THIRD time at another point.... and finally I totally BONKED with 3-4 miles to go. I wanted to find a ledge and throw my bike over

I am cussing every single rock, root, bump in my path (literally)

somehow, I still finished 8th - and no, that was not OUT OF 8

oh, I did have a sprint at the end I somehow pulled out of my arsk... chick made fatal mistake of saying....

chick: "coming around"
me (pissed): "not this time....."

and the velodrome kicked in...... so did the urge to puke!
Learning to suffer was the one thing that returned the biggest rewards for me. Riding through a major bonk, and other less than perfect conditions to finish a race; and upgrade a category is good stuff.

I may not have been the most talented rider to line up, but I could sure suffer; and go home satisfied that I never gave up. I have throwen up after a hard effort though.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #11584
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
The climbing at the New River Gorge is great stuff. IIRC one of the doods I knew in college is running the outdoor shop/store near there. Ask em for advice.

AFA riding in WV... Y'know... Now that I think about it, I haven't done much riding there. DC? Sure. If its on the way, hit Gambrill Mtn. Great stuff. Remember when yer riding boulder fields that momentum (not necessarily speed) is yer friend.

HTH

M
Thanks, I am not sure about New River for climbing. My shoulder is still screwed and it seems like all of the routes are 5.9+ But we will ask for advice I do not want to do anythign higher then a .7 or .8 though i guess it depends on what makes the crux the crux.
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #11585
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Thanks, I am not sure about New River for climbing. My shoulder is still screwed and it seems like all of the routes are 5.9+ But we will ask for advice I do not want to do anythign higher then a .7 or .8 though i guess it depends on what makes the crux the crux.
Back when, the routes were mostly top-rope-able.

M
Old 07-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #11586
vfr700
172S

Talking about suffering; summers in Phoenix.....they blow. I was lucky enough to transfer to a new detail, with dayshift hours. I commute to the barn on the bike du jour, and get a modified workout in to boot.

Sooo, I roll out of bed at 0400, and am on the road by 0445. It's a 40k ride to work, and I can vary my route depending on what I want to accomplish. I'm lucky to have a shower, locker, etc.

And ten hours later it's time to secure, and head home....the same 40K route. The only difference is that in the afternoon I'm riding on the surface of the sun. It was 116 today on the way home, but honestly it would blow more to miss a day in the saddle. I seriously can't wait for November.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #11587
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiles
Shop owner rant.

A few things from the bike shop.
Date: 2009-05-27, 4:05PM PDT

Whoo-hoo Seattle, the sun is out! Let's discuss a few things before you fumble with swapping the unused ski rack for the unused bike rack on the Subaru.

So yes, you've noticed the sun is out, and hey!- maybe it would be cool to to some bike riding. Let's keep in mind that the sun came out of all 600,000 of us, so for the most part, you're not the only one who noticed. Please remember that when you walk into my shop on a bright, sunny Saturday morning. It will save you from looking like a complete twat that huffs "Why are there so many people here?"

Are we all on the same page now about it being sunny outside? Have we all figured out that we're not the only clever people that feel sunny days are good for bike riding? Great. I want to kiss all of you on your forehead for sharing this moment with me. Put your vitamin D starved fingers in mine, and we'll move on together to some pointers that will make life easier.

SOME POINTERS FOR THE PHONE:

- I don't know what size of bike you need. The only thing that I can tell over the phone is that you sound fat. I don't care how tall you are. I don't care how long your inseam is. Don't complain to me that you don't want to come ALL THE WAY down to the bike shop to get fitted for a bike. I have two hundred bikes in my inventory. I will find one that fits you. Whether you come from the north or the south, my shop is downhill. Pretend you're going to smell a fart, ball up, and roll your fat ass down here.

- Don't get high and call me. Write it down, call me later. When I have four phone lines ringing, and a herdlet
of people waiting for help, I can't deal with you sitting there "uuuuhhh"-ing and "uuummm"-ing while your brain tries to put together some cheeto-xbox-fixie conundrum. We didn't get disconnected, I left you on hold to figure your shit out.

-I really do need to see your bike to know what is wrong with it. You've already figured out that when you car makes a noise, the mechanic needs to see it. When your TV goes blank, a technician needs to see it. I can tell you, if there is one thing I've learned from you fucking squirrels, it's that "doesn't shift right" means your bike could need a slight cable adjustment, or you might just need to stop backing into it with the Subaru. Bring it in, I'll let you know for sure.

- No, I don't know how much a good bike costs. For some, spending $500 dollars is a kingly sum. For others, $500 won't buy you one good wheel. You really need to have an idea of what you want, because every one of you raccoons "doesn't want to spend too much".

FOR YOU INVENTIVE TYPES AND DO-IT-YOURSELFERS:

- Just because you think is should exist, doesn't mean that it does. I know that to you, a 14 inch quill stem makes perfect sense, but what makes more sense is buying a bike that fits you, not trying to make your mountain bike that was too small for you to begin with into a comfort bike.

- If some twat on some message board somewhere says that you can use the lockring from your bottom bracket as a lockring for a fixie conversion doesn't mean that A: you can, or B: you should. Please listen to me on this stuff, I really do have your best interests at heart.

- I love that you have the enthusiasm to build yourself a recumbent in the off season. That does not mean however, that I share your enthusiasm; ergo I won't do the "final tweaks" for you. You figure out why that Sram shifter and that Shimano rear derailleur don't work together. While we're at it, you recumbent people scare me a little. Don't bring that lumbering fucking thing anywhere near me.

A DEDICATION TO ALL THE HIPSTER DUCHEBAGS:

-If you shitheads had any money, you wouldn't NEED a vintage Poo-zhow to get laid. Go have an ironic mustache growing contest in front of American Apparel, so that I can continue selling $300 bikes to fatties, which is what keeps the lights on.

- Being made in the 80's may make something cool, but that doesn't automatically make something good. The reason that no one has ridden that "vintage" Murray is because it's shit. It was shit in the 80's, a trend it carried proudly through the 90's, and rallied with into the '00's. What I mean to say is, no, I can't make it work better. It's still shit, even with more air in the tires.

SO YOU'RE GONNA BUY A BIKE:

Good for you! Biking is awesome. It's easy, it's fun, it's good for you. I want you to bike, I really do. To that end, I am here to help you.

-Your co-worker that's "really into biking" knows fuck all. Stop asking for his advice. He could care less about you having the right bike. He wants to validate his bike purchase(s) through you. He also wants to sleep with you, and wear matching bike shorts with you.

- You're not a triathlete. You're not. If you were, you wouldn't be here, and we both know it.

- You're not a racer. If you were, I'd know you already, and you wouldn't be here, and we both know it.

- So you want a bike that you can ride to work, goes really fast, is good for that triathlon you're doing this summer (snicker), is good on trails and mud, and costs less than $300. Yeah. Listen, I want a car that can go 200 miles an hour, tow a boat, has room for five adults, is easy to parallel park but can carry plywood, gets 60mpg, and only costs $3,000. I also want a unicorn to blow me. What are we even talking about here? Oh yeah. Listen, bikes can be fast, light, cheap and comfortable. Pick two, and we're all good.

ABOUT YOUR KIDS:

Your kids are amazing. Sure are. No one else has kids as smart, able, funny or as good looking as you. Nope. Never see THAT around here.

- I have no idea how long you kid will be able to use this bike. As it seems to me, your precious is a little retarded, and can't even use the damn thing now. More likely, your budding genius is going to leave the bike in the driveway where you will Subaru the bike to death LONG before the nose picker outgrows the bike.

- Stop being so jumpy. I am not a molester. You people REALLY watch too much TV. When I hold the back of the bike while your kid is on it, it's not because I get a thrill from *almost* having my hand on kid butt, it's because kids are unpredictable, and generally take off whenever possible, usually not in the direction you think they might go. Listen, if I were going to do anything bad to your kids, I'd feed them to sharks, because sharks are FUCKING AWESOME.

I hope this helps, and have fun this summer riding your kick-ass bike!

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...192150038.html

thank you
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #11588
vfr700
172S

I decided to pull the trigger on a set of fairly light clinchers. I watched a couple video reviews on Test Rider, and read one on Cyclingnews. The Williams System 19 are in the 1440g range, have hybrid ceramic bearings, bladed ss spokes, alloy nipples in all but the drive side.

I'm pretty happy with them so far, especially considering the $500 price tag. They're pretty stiff, although I'm only 155lbs; I didn't induce any brake rub.

I'm taking them to Tahoe for a week of riding on Friday, and will prolly head out to Boulder in August for another self imposed climbing camp. I hope they don't let me down.

http://www.williamscycling.com/ (should anyone be interested)

Rob
Old 07-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #11589
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I agree with most of that, but I also hear a bitter, angry, individual...

Oh well.

M
Old 07-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #11590
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
I agree with most of that, but I also hear a bitter, angry, individual...

Oh well.

M
what's wrong with that?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #11591
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
what's wrong with that?
Nuthin if you don't wanna sell bikes!

I know yer kidding, but still...

M
Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #11592
vfr700
172S

Quote:
Only time I can remember bonking was when I was out explorating around my parents' house in NoVA. Went right when I shoulda gone left...

Turned a 60-ish mi ride into a 100-ish mile ride and I bonked at about the 60mi mark. NO convenience stores in outer nowhere VA between The Plains and Warrenton. THAT sucked out loud 'cause there's these rollers out there!

M
Did you ever read Bobke II? He got lost in New Mexico, and something like 12hrs later after humping his road bike through knee high snow on forest service roads, in the pitch black night; was picked up by a passer by.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #11593
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700
Did you ever read Bobke II? He got lost in New Mexico, and something like 12hrs later after humping his road bike through knee high snow on forest service roads, in the pitch black night; was picked up by a passer by.
Nope. You got a copy you wanna lend me?

M
Old 07-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #11594
vfr700
172S

Quote:
Nope. You got a copy you wanna lend me?

M
Sure, send me your address...I'll drop it in the mail. It's a good read.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #11595
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,503
finally bought road pedals and shoes...

So, I've decided to get a bit more serious with my cycling. I started last week with a 43 mile ride on Saturday...in Savannah (with the CBTC) and ended the week with 150 miles on the Trek (which is typical for me).

The few times I've tried to pace another rider around Hunter AAF, I feel like I'm "spinning out" 'cause my street shoes are lifting off the pedals when we get up to 25mph or so.

I reckon I'm probably missing some power by only being able to mash vs. mash and pull.

Last year I assured the wife that bicycling would Save Money!
$300 for 10 yr old Trek off Craigslist
$100 for shorts, shirts and lights

I rode 1300 miles in 2008 and I was gone for 7 months.

This year:
$75 for tuneup by LBS including new large chainring
$50 for new tires, tubes and misc parts

1200 miles so far this year (gone for 2 months).

This week:
$250 for more bike shorts, jerseys, road shoes and pedals, handlebar tape, etc.

My goal is 150 miles/week for the rest of the year.

The bottom line is that getting into bicycling can be cheap but once you really get into it, there will be some expense.

Golden nuggets of info:

-cheap bicycle shorts (i.e. Insport) are worthless, spend the extra dough for quality shorts.

-Street shoes will only get you so far.

-it was about 6 months before I found out that "Giro" is just the fancy brand of Bell Helmets (saving mucho deneiro)

-an "old" bike only saves you money up front if you like fixing something on it every few hundred miles...otherwise consider a new "entry level" rode bike (Raleigh, Trek 1000, etc.)

-a good cycle computer and HRM are neat tools, nothing beats mashing the pedals against your perceived level of exertion.

-you are probably only going to save money vs. a cage if you commit to riding rain or shine, hot or cold, IOW all weather/conditions

There are probably dozens or hundreds of Golden Nuggets of Info out there.

YMMV.

Ride often and minimize your risks!

[IMG]
From Bicycle photos
[/IMG]

dolomoto screwed with this post 07-13-2009 at 07:05 PM
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: