Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #11701
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
I have a teammate who, as far as I can tell, has never ridden a bike without one of these things on: haloheadband.com
Thanks
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #11702
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
So I sweat like the fat bastid I am so sweat in my eyes is a huge problem for me - as in, it annoys the shit out of me and I have to stop all the time to wipe the sweat. It really really cuts down on the great enjoyment I get out cycling.

I saw these on the site Gummee listed earlier

Anybody used these or anything like them ?

Any other suggestions ?

Cheers
I tried a pair on the M/C and found that my big nose prevented a seal and the foam area that did touch my face made my head sweat too much.

YMMV

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #11703
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez
I tried a pair on the M/C and found that my big nose prevented a seal and the foam area that did touch my face made my head sweat too much.

YMMV
That makes sense to me - I figured they wouldn't really help too much.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #11704
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,072
Great store

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd
Pretty good deals to be found here if you're in SF, I believe they have a store in Walnut Creek now too:

http://www.sportsbasement.com/
I used to work there - great store - great owners- they really take care of their employees. They now have an online store if you are not in the bay area.
Capt. REDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #11705
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUG SLUG
I used to work there - great store - great owners- they really take care of their employees. They now have an online store if you are not in the bay area.
Everyone I've ever dealt with there was friendly and helpful.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #11706
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Askel -

WHat does he really think about the halo. I haven't ordered, but I really need something.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #11707
HillbillyNinja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
I hate you guys

Well, this thread and my increasing gut have inspired me to dust off my 1994 Cannondale m600. That bike took me to some crazy places, including several 12 miles of Hell races at Ft. Sill, and some nice points standings in the Missouri Norba Jr Sport and Expert classes. Even ran a few races down in Arkansas and Kansas...

I stopped riding, because of all things, depression. I was a mildly successful offroading until my girlfriend dumped me. Lame I know, but it killed the urge to spin off my daily 20 in teh morning and 20 in the evening because my mind would wander too much...

Fast forward to today, I about died riding 5 miles on road with my bike. My ACL reconstructed knee is seeming to cope well with the low impact spinning. I was mildly impressed that although my lungs and legs both gave out on me, my form was still good and the bike still fits well. I did move my seat forward a mm but it still hurts my ass....I think that's got to do with the weight I've put on since my knee injury two years ago.

So, collective huge ass bicycle thread on ADV, does anyone have an old square tapered crankset they'd be willing to part with? I was dropping the chain every time I stood on the pedals. Talk about forcing a guy to spin...

I took off my Ritchie pedals since I don't have shoes for the cleats. But I found a pair of those crappy nylon pedals from a huffy to put on there for free. It works and I don't go click, click click when I roll in to work in the mornings.

Oh, I'm commuting to work by bicycle now. DOn't get too excited, it's only three blocks away. However, after work, it's only 3 blocks and I'm on Snowball riding miles and miles of singletrack, fireroads and chat piles. Great fun I must say...

Now, if my damn chain would quit popping off everytime i torqued down.
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #11708
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,341
Quote:
So I sweat like the fat bastid I am so sweat in my eyes is a huge problem for me - as in, it annoys the shit out of me and I have to stop all the time to wipe the sweat. It really really cuts down on the great enjoyment I get out cycling.

Any other suggestions ?

Cheers
My dad has the same problem only thing that works for him is a sweat band made out of sponge wrings it out 10x a day or more when we are working. Pretty gross, but my pits sweat more...

perhaps this is a bit more stylish...or these
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...ef/8600001-002

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #11709
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
...snipped.... I had some Nashbar shorts in the past and they were crap. However, there's no reason for shorts to cost more than $50 a pair. Its just spandex/lycra with a chamois crotch made in the same asian sweatshops as all the other crap we buy here in the states. ...snipped...

Not exactly. After riding 2000 miles in el-cheap Insport, I ordered a couple of pairs of Louis Garneau...and they are Made in the USA!

Huge difference in fit, performance, quality, etc. I got the LG on sale at Nashbar for about 40 bucks. Worth every penny.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #11710
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:

Any other suggestions ?

Cheers
I have the same problem. The easiest solution was to wear a headband low on the forehead, but to be honest, I really don't like it.

Today I bought a Fox helmet from REI specifically because it appears to have a really good velcro'd in forehead band.

I went on a 20 mile mostly tarmac ride on the mtb using the new helmet this afternoon and sweat stayed out of my eyes. Tomorrow will be the real test.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #11711
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,516
I've spent the last week working odd 12 hour 1/2 nights/1/2 days, then most of the afternoon test riding bikes all around chicago. I don't think I'm going to come out ahead on the money on this trip.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:30 AM   #11712
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Askel -

WHat does he really think about the halo. I haven't ordered, but I really need something.

I'll ask next time I see him, but like I said- I've NEVER seen him riding a bike without it.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #11713
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC
I have the same problem. The easiest solution was to wear a headband low on the forehead, but to be honest, I really don't like it.

Today I bought a Fox helmet from REI specifically because it appears to have a really good velcro'd in forehead band.

I went on a 20 mile mostly tarmac ride on the mtb using the new helmet this afternoon and sweat stayed out of my eyes. Tomorrow will be the real test.
I typically wear a bandana under my helmet, and my gloves have a terrycloth top which works well for a quick wipe here and there. Need something a little better for longer rides, though.

I've only been doing < 2 hour rides this year, and it's been a cooler summer than most, so it hasn't been a real issue for me

The shortest distance between two points....is not the point.
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #11714
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Thanks Askel. My biggest problem is that when it gets to my eyes the salt in my sweat just about blinds me and then my contacts burn for quite some time. I always wear eye gear of some type, even if it is just clear safety glasses, because I have had too many bugs in the eyes in the last 45 years that I know better now.

Bandanas work for a while, but they don't last long enough, and sweat bands I have never liked because the bandana works about 300% better and longer for me.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #11715
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
I never heard of the Halo before, but it definitely looks interesting. What I have seen, but always avoided because it looks kinda dorky, is the Sweat Gutr. Looks like it ought to work pretty well too. I've tried neither, but just wanted to throw another option in the mix.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: