Pull rear wheel out

Compress brakes using lever on the brake caliper

Insert cable/head into brake lever

Release

Re-install wheel

Ride

HTH

M
You da Man! Thanx, I appreciate your help.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #11718
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,115
if the nut got ripped out of the brake lever, chances are it got mangled, and won't stay in very well next time, so a new cable may be in order.

but.. if you're gonna fix what you got.... turn that adjuster barrel so the slot in it (and the slot on the locking ring) are lined up with the slot in the brake lever mount thing. oh, and screw the adjuster all the way in first, then out just enough to line up the slots...

now insert the nut at the end of the cable into its holder, and you should be able to pull enough slack out to get the cable to go in that combined slot, and get the sheath end and cup to go into the end of the adjuster, which you then unscrew as much as you need to get the right adjustment on the cable, and tighten the locknut.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #11719
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 81,409
Thanks! After studying it this evening I was able to figure out how it all fit together. The "nut" (barrel shaped thingie that goes into the thingie with holes?) seems to be attached fine. I think that for whatever reason, all the slots were lined-up when I yanked on the brake.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #11720
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Thanks! After studying it this evening I was able to figure out how it all fit together. The "nut" (barrel shaped thingie that goes into the thingie with holes?) seems to be attached fine. I think that for whatever reason, all the slots were lined-up when I yanked on the brake.
yeah, always leave the adjuster barrel turned so its NOT lined up with the slot so that can't happen...
Old 07-31-2009, 04:10 AM   #11721
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Thanks for remembering to write it up.

Nothing in the eyes?

Some, but I don't think you can get rid of it totally. Most of the sweat coming of the forehead does get channeled by the Gutr however.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:36 AM   #11722
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
Finally back in the saddle.
My first real ride in what seems like months worked pretty well last night. I did what used to be an easy 13 mile normal river trail route. I had a nice on-shore headwind for the way down which meant a tailwind for most of the way back. About two and a half miles form home, the wind flipped to provide a nice headwind for the last bit to my turn into the homes, and up the hill.
I'm looking forward to more riding now. The ribs only hurt a bit, the strap for the camel bal crosses the ribs nicely keeping a nice snug little bit of pressure on them as a reminder to not be stupid.

I figure I have this next week to ride, then off the next on the motorcyle then back to the bike once I get back. Maybe by the end of August I can be back to able to ride to the beach and back on the old roadie.

In the time I was off the bike, I'd swelled up to hover at 179.5 pounds with my pockets empty. I want twenty of those to go away, never to acast a shadow across my shoes again.
That means a change in diet, and this careful exercise program. I may even visit that gym I have belonged top for eleven years, and never been inside... (hey, not my fault the membership not the visit. Wife and kids wanted it and it is too cheap to quit), like that makes sense..

Man, I missed the bicycle. Need to give it a wash though, I noticed there is dirt caked on the chain rings, but it shifts perfectly. I love these modern shifters, they are so slick.
So tonight's agenda is ride for an hour and a half, then swap the alternator belt on the adventure, then some cleaning. Then wash off the bicycle so it's pretty again and lube the chain.
Saturday I'll do a longer evening ride.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #11723
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Finally back in the saddle.
My first real ride in what seems like months worked pretty well last night. I did what used to be an easy 13 mile normal river trail route. I had a nice on-shore headwind for the way down which meant a tailwind for most of the way back. About two and a half miles form home, the wind flipped to provide a nice headwind for the last bit to my turn into the homes, and up the hill.
I'm looking forward to more riding now. The ribs only hurt a bit, the strap for the camel bal crosses the ribs nicely keeping a nice snug little bit of pressure on them as a reminder to not be stupid.

I figure I have this next week to ride, then off the next on the motorcyle then back to the bike once I get back. Maybe by the end of August I can be back to able to ride to the beach and back on the old roadie.

In the time I was off the bike, I'd swelled up to hover at 179.5 pounds with my pockets empty. I want twenty of those to go away, never to acast a shadow across my shoes again.
That means a change in diet, and this careful exercise program. I may even visit that gym I have belonged top for eleven years, and never been inside... (hey, not my fault the membership not the visit. Wife and kids wanted it and it is too cheap to quit), like that makes sense..

Man, I missed the bicycle. Need to give it a wash though, I noticed there is dirt caked on the chain rings, but it shifts perfectly. I love these modern shifters, they are so slick.
So tonight's agenda is ride for an hour and a half, then swap the alternator belt on the adventure, then some cleaning. Then wash off the bicycle so it's pretty again and lube the chain.
Saturday I'll do a longer evening ride.

The thing that always amazes me is how fast yer butt callous goes away.

M
Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #11724
wxwax
Excited Member

Thanks for your help, gents.

Got the brake fixed.

Also used the event as an excuse to make love to my machine. Dug a lot of gunk out of its gooch rear and derailleur cogs, wiped the chain down, adjusted front and rear brakes as best I could, tried to get the rear disc to fit correctly in the slot to eliminate noise and drag, and may have fixed the problem shifting to the big chain ring.

I think we both enjoyed the experience and had a nice hug at the end. I think it especially liked the screw (driver) scraping along its rear (cogs.)

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #11725
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
Back in the saddle again.
Managed a decent 12 mile mountain loop the other night, only 2800 feet of climbing.

Local shop has a Turner Sultan demo on closeout.. it was tempting.
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #11726
wxwax
Excited Member

Circadian rhythm is a curious thing.

I seem to be two gears stronger at 3pm than I am at 5pm.

And yet, oddly, the map Wiki has for the circadian rhythm says that shouldn't be.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #11727
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
And yet, oddly, the map Wiki has for the circadian rhythm says that shouldn't be.

I guess I'm a couple hours early droppin' the kids off at the pool too.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #11728
Fidget
Informed Guesser

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonomus
Keep your eyes peeled on Craiglist.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/1297959286.html
Fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #11729
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonomus
Keep your eyes peeled on Craiglist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget

Told ya!

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #11730
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
OK, can I play too?

After riding a lot as kid (BMX racing, MTB as a teen) I was, like many, away from bikes since I got my license. My GT borrego hardtail is still there in a sorry state, though.

After I hurt my knee last April and was on crutches until recently and walk on a cane now, my doc cleared me for muscle rehab now and told me to go ride a bike. From what I hear, vintage racers are the thing to do for the cool kids, which goes well with me being a cheap bastard.

It'll take some time until my knee is strong enough for the trails again, so my brother (who is into bicycles) gave me our dad's ca. 1982 KTM Formula-S. I remember when he got it and I got my KTM Pony, my first real kid bike.

My brother's basement is split into bike garage and photo studio, so we documented the handover:

Shimano 600 12-speed and pretty weak Weinmann brakes. I'll need new tires and at least better brake pads if not new brakes altogether. But the bike is all original right now, from a time when KTM buildt crappy motorcycles and decent bicycles.

A bit more bicycle content on my brother's flickr stream.
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: