ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #11776
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: subject to change
Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man
Anyone looking for a tri bike, I have an 09 TTX 9.9 for sale to fund my new Tiger....
NOWWWW you tell me. I just bought a TTX last week!

Edit to add: Good choice of bike - pedal or otherwise
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #11777
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer
 
Doc.Snyder's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX / Grosserlach, GER
Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASYETI
As always, this is not spam.

Just a well produced video of some top level 4x and downhill racing.

http://yeticycles.com/#/videovault/F...009WC8Bromont/

Missy "The Missile" Giove

... not from her yeti days, but still great. I think that's Kaprun in Austria.








Missy Giove @ Yahoo! Video
__________________
Never stop exploring

Doc.Snyder screwed with this post 08-05-2009 at 08:52 PM
Doc.Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #11778
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic
 
nomiles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Bay Area ~ NorCal
Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
Missy "The Missile" Giove
Missy don't ride no more.



__________________
Everybody is someone else's weirdo.
nomiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #11779
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 886
I didn't turn up the speakers for the video, but it if was me it would have sounded like,
"fuckimgonnadiegonnadiegonnadiefuckfuckfuckityfuckf uckgonnadiegonnadie...well hey, whaddya know?"

She probably could have used a bike and a big ass downhill when the Feds pinched her with all the weed, though.
TheNedster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #11780
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer
 
Doc.Snyder's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX / Grosserlach, GER
Oddometer: 2,012
"She was mountain biking's first rock star."

yep. I saw her racing 2 times. I'm still a big fan.

too sad, this happened. stupid mistake.


The most shocking aspect of Giove's arrest, say people who knew her, was her longtime anti-drug stance. Back in the early 1990s, drugs were part of the counter-cultural scene that went with mountain biking.
"Missy was always the one who was giving people crap about it, saying, 'Don't drink, don't smoke, stay clean and stay focused,' " said Montgomery, who now manages Scott USA's bike division.
As a fledgling racer in her early 20s, Giove coached other young racers on how to eat healthy and stay strong, Glaspell said. She pushed natural diets and meditation and a strict training regimen.
"I never ever, ever saw Missy smoke pot, never saw her do any drugs. She was always into super heavy hippy homeopathic (stuff)," Glaspell said.
That leads many to wonder whether, if the charges are true, the adventurous thrill of drug-running appealed to Giove. "You are one step away from going to federal prison. The challenge of getting away with it, making money at it, I am sure that is incredibly invigorating and thrilling," said fellow bike-racer Dunlap. "Maybe for Missy, when she was used to that kind of feeling when she was racing, not having it anymore was a like a withdrawal from a drug."
__________________
Never stop exploring

Doc.Snyder screwed with this post 08-05-2009 at 11:26 PM
Doc.Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #11781
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiles
nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame story
...Giove flew from her home in Chesapeake, Virginia to Albany County Airport in upstate New York, where she met an informant, who gave her a pick-up truck and trailer filled with marijuana....
damn, that stinks of entrapment to me.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #11782
Cat0020
El cheapo
 
Cat0020's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NW of Philly, Hoboken, Brooklyn, Jamaica NY.
Oddometer: 5,653
What's the story on the bags of cash?
__________________
Mankind is doomed & Physics do not lie
Chances favor the prepared mind.
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #11783
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
What's the story on the bags of cash?
Saving up for a CF full squish bike...
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #11784
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
What's the story on the bags of cash?
Drugs and cash usually go hand in hand.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #11785
Flood
F5lood.
 
Flood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 10,161
How practical is your bike?



http://fixedgeargallery.com/contest/...DavidMahan.htm


:low COG, convertible to shopping cart.
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #11786
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,481
Alfine hubs- or any internally geared hub for that matter. Anybody use one offroad?

I've been thinking of putting some gears on my SS29er for some "bikepacking" style touring. With sliding rear dropouts, it's a near perfect setup for a geared hub.

Lots of people swear by them, but the black box concept of them kinda skeers me a bit. If something breaks inside in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure there's much I can do to fix it.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #11787
DoctorIt
vrooom!
 
DoctorIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Springfield, MA
Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Alfine hubs- or any internally geared hub for that matter. Anybody use one offroad?

I've been thinking of putting some gears on my SS29er for some "bikepacking" style touring. With sliding rear dropouts, it's a near perfect setup for a geared hub.

Lots of people swear by them, but the black box concept of them kinda skeers me a bit. If something breaks inside in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure there's much I can do to fix it.
I ride with a guy who runs an Alfine on a Salsa crabon fiber frame, great rider. Every time we hit the super technical trails around here, I'm convinced parts are going to come flying out of the hub. And every time we ride, I'm proven wrong. This friend is no lightweight, 5'9", 185lbs, built like a linebacker, and he rides like a powerlifter. This summer he's destroyed a front hub, two sets of tires, and a bottom bracket. The Alfine has gotten one gentle "maintenance" and has otherwise been bullet proof.

So there's my testimonial, YMMV.

EDIT: Forgot to address your last part - we've serviced plenty of Nexus and a couple Alfine's at the shop this summer. None of them ever come in "seized". In other words, if it fails on you, you'll still be able to pedal home - not sure what gear (or couple gears) you'll be stuck with, but chances are good you will be able to limp home without too much issue.
__________________
Erik
Professor for hire.
DoctorIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #11788
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 19,252
Hey, what do you guys like for tire pressure guages? None of mine go up high enough...
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #11789
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
Hey, what do you guys like for tire pressure guages? None of mine go up high enough...
I have two pencil gauges, bought at the local auto parts places... one goes up to 120psi, the other goes up to 50psi. I use the 50psi one on my motorcycle mostly, and the 120psi one for my bikes.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #11790
Javarilla
Escapee
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: 1...
Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
I ride with a guy who runs an Alfine on a Salsa crabon fiber frame, great rider. Every time we hit the super technical trails around here, I'm convinced parts are going to come flying out of the hub. And every time we ride, I'm proven wrong. This friend is no lightweight, 5'9", 185lbs, built like a linebacker, and he rides like a powerlifter. This summer he's destroyed a front hub, two sets of tires, and a bottom bracket. The Alfine has gotten one gentle "maintenance" and has otherwise been bullet proof.

So there's my testimonial, YMMV.

EDIT: Forgot to address your last part - we've serviced plenty of Nexus and a couple Alfine's at the shop this summer. None of them ever come in "seized". In other words, if it fails on you, you'll still be able to pedal home - not sure what gear (or couple gears) you'll be stuck with, but chances are good you will be able to limp home without too much issue.
awesome info!
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015