Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #11896
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
awesome info!

Yup, thanks man.

Looks like Harris Cyclery even stocks the exact same rim I run already laced to an Alfine. This could be trouble....

Oh, BTW- since I know you've all been hanging on the edge of your seat to find out...

I did NOT win the golden bike today. http://www.gtisgolden.com/usa/usaeng/Schedule

I took 40 minutes off my time from last year though, so I ain't complaining.

The Gold Diggers were a little less enthusiastic than one might expect this morning given the rain and ~60 degree temps.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #11897
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 951
D2r2

I am so dead next saturday.

Work has been crazy for the last 6-8 weeks, and I've barely gotten out to ride. Yesterday I did about 45 mostly-paved miles with only moderate climbing, and was beat and sore, afterwards.

Next saturday I'm planning to ride D2R2, 60+ miles with lots of climbing on dirt roads in western Massachusetts. I am so dead.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #11898
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol

Work has been crazy for the last 6-8 weeks, and I've barely gotten out to ride. Yesterday I did about 45 mostly-paved miles with only moderate climbing, and was beat and sore, afterwards.

Next saturday I'm planning to ride D2R2, 60+ miles with lots of climbing on dirt roads in western Massachusetts. I am so dead.
I understand the feeling. I have not had time to ride, swim, or run lately and did a 25 mile ride this morning, and it was not at all as easy as I had hoped. I am planning on riding next week as much as is possible. FAT is not a shape!!!! I have to keep myself going or I gain weight looking at food.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #11899
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I understand the feeling. I have not had time to ride, swim, or run lately and did a 25 mile ride this morning, and it was not at all as easy as I had hoped. I am planning on riding next week as much as is possible. FAT is not a shape!!!! I have to keep myself going or I gain weight looking at food.
Fat's not a shape, but round is!

M
Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #11900
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,408
The Savannah Wheelmen have regular scheduled rides here in Savannah. I showed up yesterday expecting 20-30 riders....We departed with 101 bikes!

After a few miles we broke into smaller groups. I tried to hang with the second fastest group but dropped after 10 miles...I kept at it and slowly picked up other riders who dropped after me.

It was a 40 mile ride....I rode to downtown and back which put my mileage at 62 for the day. My longest ride to date.

HNBAS Tour 2008

HNBAS Tour 2010
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #11901
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol

Ha! I just got in from a 45ish miler as well, except I only left thinking I'd ride an hour or two. I had no food and one bottle. I'm so bonked!

I totally forgot to register. I better get on that...
Old 08-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #11902
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
Hey, what do you guys like for tire pressure guages? None of mine go up high enough...
Buy a good floor pump. Done.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #11903
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,973
oh yeah, presta valves. when I rode roadies w/ skinny tires that took 100psi+ and prestas, I inflated til the tire made the right 'plink' sound when I flicked the tire with my thumb, as my main pump was a Silca frame pump w/a campy tip and thats got no gauge.

now days, I got a decent floor pump, which has a good tire gauge built in. I picked up a Specialized AirTool Comp at a clearance sale for ridiculously cheap, and its been a great pump.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #11904
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Did 60km earlier today. Distance is slowly creeping up this season, I'm only getting in a ride or two a week.

2 hours, 25 minutes. The good news is that I'm not completely destroyed after the rides now.

I suspect that quiting smoking would significantly improve my overall performance...

The shortest distance between two points....is not the point.
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #11905
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
Rode some local singletrack today. Maybe only 6 mi. in all. It was a much better experience than last week's epic fail, that trail was way too steep and technical for me.

Today's circuit was much more n00b-friendly. I did end up walking a couple parts that were just too steep and rocky. However, I did manage to stay out of everyone else's way and I didn't tumble into the ravine. Not for lack of trying, though.

I had some problems getting back into the toe clips after coming out of them while climbing. I'm hoping my technique will get better with practice, but I'm now considering going with clipless cleats.

I also had some trouble keeping the front wheel down when climbing some of the steeper stuff. It made keeping a line almost impossible. Am I selecting a gear that's too low, or do I need to get my weight further forward? Bar ends maybe?

Had a great time and can't wait to do it again next weekend!
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 AM   #11906
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Fat's not a shape, but round is!

M
I understand that, but I am not round as I have lost 100+ pounds of fat so far and still have a lot more fat to go.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #11907
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster

I had some problems getting back into the toe clips after coming out of them while climbing. I'm hoping my technique will get better with practice, but I'm now considering going with clipless cleats.

I also had some trouble keeping the front wheel down when climbing some of the steeper stuff. It made keeping a line almost impossible. Am I selecting a gear that's too low, or do I need to get my weight further forward? Bar ends maybe?

Had a great time and can't wait to do it again next weekend!
That singletrack is fun stuff innit?

Definitely get into some clipless pedals as soon as possible. I actually kind of like clips and straps, but there's no way I'd use them offroad anymore.

For climbs, you're on the right track- weight all the way forward. Select a gear that allows you to keep near constant tension on the chain- I find that hard to do in the lower gears. If you have to stand up on the pedals, you definitely want to be in a taller gear.

I never ran any kind of bar end before, but my single speed came with these short stubby ones on some Ergon grips. I'm beginning to find them useful on long non-technical climbs.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #11908
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
That singletrack is fun stuff innit?
Congrats on the OTS finish!

I saw a benumbered guy riding on US 41 between Negaunee and MQT Saturday who looked like the poster boy for bonked. I slowed down to see if it was you.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #11909
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
Congrats on the OTS finish!

I saw a benumbered guy riding on US 41 between Negaunee and MQT Saturday who looked like the poster boy for bonked. I slowed down to see if it was you.
Thanks man!

I found it extremely odd the huge numbers of people I saw riding back from the finish at the Lakeview Arena back to the start in Negaunee to fetch their cars. I quietly laughed at them from the air conditioned bus that the race offers.

The race is over, guys. You don't need to prove anything anymore. Have a beer or something.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #11910
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Almost cyclocross season. This will be my first season. Any other inmates into 'cross?

I just bought some Vittoria Cross XG Pros and ordered some new chain-rings and freewheels to convert my fixie commuter to single-speed racer.
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: