Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #11941
volbeat22
n/a

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Lookin good! Eyes up. Good posture. Weight back.

How'd ya do?

M
I'm sitting 7th in the Clydesdale Class with one race left. The top 4 guys are ridiculously fast and are not in the spirtit of the Clydesdale class moto!
volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #11942
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,520
I did my first 50 mile ride this morning.

And a 24 mile ride tomorrow morning will put me over 1K for the year, which was the goal I set for myself to buy a new bike.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #11943
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser

And a 24 mile ride tomorrow morning will put me over 1K for the year, which was the goal I set for myself to buy a new bike.
Woohoo!!!

So what's it gonna be?
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #11944
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre
So what's it gonna be?

I fell in love with the Look 566 on a test ride up in Chicago. It's at the top of my list, but also above the top of my price range.

I would probably be just as happy with a specialized roubaix, which at the component level I want is just barely within my price range.
Then, there's a handful of others in contention based on just how deep the dealers are willing to discount them as they are leftovers.

Just so long as they match my riding gear, it's all good.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #11945
volbeat22
n/a

Oddometer: 773
Quote:

Congrats, I told myself I was going to ride 1,200 miles this year...I punted that idea long ago. Too busy, too many other sports I play (lacrosse), I need to specialize in one sport!
volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #11946
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,841
Quote:
I fell in love with the Look 566 on a test ride up in Chicago. It's at the top of my list, but also above the top of my price range.

I would probably be just as happy with a specialized roubaix, which at the component level I want is just barely within my price range.
Then, there's a handful of others in contention based on just how deep the dealers are willing to discount them as they are leftovers.

Just so long as they match my riding gear, it's all good.
I was checking out the specialized roubaix and it's a really nice bike. I also checked out the trek madone with the performance fit, which to me felt similar. I'm looking at a 5.1 or a leftover 5.2

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #11947
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,818
I oil my chain.

lol
Old 08-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #11948
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Who was it that introduced themselves to me (sweaty guy on the pink Seven cross bike)at the D2R2 yesterday afternoon? My heat addled brain couldn't grasp that you were from Adventure Rider. For some reason I thought you were from Adventure Cyclist, which I used to be a member of. I hope I wasn't rude but I was about to faint from the heat.

A whole bunch of Adv Riders went past when we were on Green River Road. I gave the last one the salute, hoping he would get it and not come and punch me in the face, but he gave it right back and gave an enthusiastic nod
Old 08-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #11949
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre
Scrape it off, dude! Then send me the tires.

lotta help

PS - I got out there man, a couple hours late but i did.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #11950
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,246
Wink Single speed fun

Old 08-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #11951
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmike
Who was it that introduced themselves to me (sweaty guy on the pink Seven cross bike)at the D2R2 yesterday afternoon? My heat addled brain couldn't grasp that you were from Adventure Rider. For some reason I thought you were from Adventure Cyclist, which I used to be a member of. I hope I wasn't rude but I was about to faint from the heat.
Hey, that was me. Nah, you weren't rude. I was pretty heat addled too, and probably not making much sense. I was itching to get back to the finish, sign in, and get some calories and something cold to drink.

Hope you had a good ride. This was my second year in a row doing the 100k, and I plan to be back again, next year.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #11952
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Just talked to my buddy who did the 170k for the first time. man alive that sounds like sheer hell. He finished at about 6:30 pm, a complete wreck. A coworker did the 170k with a 42/21 as his lowest gear . Can't wait to talk to him tomorrow!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #11953
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmike
Just talked to my buddy who did the 170k for the first time. man alive that sounds like sheer hell. He finished at about 6:30 pm, a complete wreck. A coworker did the 170k with a 42/21 as his lowest gear . Can't wait to talk to him tomorrow!
42/21 for the 170k? Your coworker must be a monster, and more than a little crazy. My smallest gear was 28/27, and I spent a big chunk of the day slapping desperately at my shifters for a nonexistent lower gear and wishing I'd put a mountain cassette on the bike.

I'd love to do the 170, but I just wasn't fit for it. The 100 is already nearing the limit of what I can do and still call 'fun'.

The first 13 miles was brutal. I knew what I was getting into and I knew I was in poor shape, but the reality of it all was still a slap in the face. And it was hot and I was dehydrated at the start. I emptied both of my water bottles in that first 13 miles. At the checkpoint I made myself drink an entire 24oz bottle of water before setting out again with both bottles full. Even so, I finished one bottle within 8 miles, and had to carefully ration my second bottle during the remaining 15. At the lunch stop I took my time and drank 3 pints of water, and after that I was okay.

Following the lunch stop there's a pretty easy 10 mile spin along the river (I saw probably the same ADVriders you did, but didn't give a salute), followed by about 5 miles of pretty stiff climbing. Only the last mile is really bad -- it's not terribly steep and it's paved, but there's very little shade, and I hit it right at the hottest part of the day when I was already pretty spent.

After the last checkpoint, everything feels a little surreal. There's a bit more climbing (and one of the 2 nastiest descents in the whole ride), but by this time I was so used to it that I just sucked it up without complaint, both relieved and a little sad that the whole thing is almost over.

My time this year was almost an hour longer than last year's, but I was less shattered at the end. I actually had the energy to go spend a couple hours on the trails at Harold Parker, today.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #11954
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,352
dear god
the taint is sore
and so begins the saddle shopping
again

gawd

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:53 AM   #11955
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
42/21 for the 170k? Your coworker must be a monster, and more than a little crazy. My smallest gear was 28/27, and I spent a big chunk of the day slapping desperately at my shifters for a nonexistent lower gear and wishing I'd put a mountain cassette on the bike.

I'd love to do the 170, but I just wasn't fit for it. The 100 is already nearing the limit of what I can do and still call 'fun'.

The first 13 miles was brutal. I knew what I was getting into and I knew I was in poor shape, but the reality of it all was still a slap in the face. And it was hot and I was dehydrated at the start. I emptied both of my water bottles in that first 13 miles. At the checkpoint I made myself drink an entire 24oz bottle of water before setting out again with both bottles full. Even so, I finished one bottle within 8 miles, and had to carefully ration my second bottle during the remaining 15. At the lunch stop I took my time and drank 3 pints of water, and after that I was okay.

Following the lunch stop there's a pretty easy 10 mile spin along the river (I saw probably the same ADVriders you did, but didn't give a salute), followed by about 5 miles of pretty stiff climbing. Only the last mile is really bad -- it's not terribly steep and it's paved, but there's very little shade, and I hit it right at the hottest part of the day when I was already pretty spent.

After the last checkpoint, everything feels a little surreal. There's a bit more climbing (and one of the 2 nastiest descents in the whole ride), but by this time I was so used to it that I just sucked it up without complaint, both relieved and a little sad that the whole thing is almost over.

My time this year was almost an hour longer than last year's, but I was less shattered at the end. I actually had the energy to go spend a couple hours on the trails at Harold Parker, today.

I'm sure there's a rational explanation for having this ride in August, but it would be a lot better in Sept or Oct. Last year was the only year I missed, but I seem to recall every year being stupidly hot, especially two years ago.

As for my coworker, he's not normal. It took all my persuasion to get him to leave his fixed gear at home. He raced the Hampshire 100 yesterday and I bet he won the Single Speed class, if not the overall race.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: