M
Why?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #107
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomD
Hey, Grant never, never said, "'ya gotta ride like this". He simply has a different philosophy about appropriate gear and he isn't shy about it. I don't agree with him about everything, like I think he's missed the boat on STI, but much of what he advocates makes more sense than the typical main stream marketing BS.

-T
I'll give ya some of that. Iffen ya wanna go quickly, riding like Grant recommends ain't the bestest way... Iffen ya wanna ride SLOWLY by all means have at it.

There's been generations of pro cyclists honing that 'go fast' position. Ya think they may have it right?!

M
Old 07-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #108
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I think this is so hot.

I have a friend who rides a Pista in NYC. He loves it, but said that he put a front brake on the thing after 2 near-death experiences in his first week of ownership. My one longish ride on another friend's fixie was loads of fun, but left my knees sore the next day. I could see having one to ride every week or two as a change of pace, but not for my primary ride.

I test-rode several bikes over the past week, looking for a decent rugged road bike to take over commuter duty from the mediocre flat-bar hybrid I've been using. Most of the bikes I tried were Al-framed cyclocross bikes. I ended up buying a Bianchi Volpe yesterday. Steel frame, and the cheapest and probably the heaviest of the bikes I tried. But I chose it because of ride quality and gearing more appropriate to my use, not price.

I was up late last night transferring farkles from the old commuter to the new, and then had trouble getting to sleep because I was itching to get up and ride the thing to work. The old hybrid is going to get fitted with the fattest tires it'll take, and then used as a quasi-mountain-bike on some local trails.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #109
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
Why?
Nicer ride

M
Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #110
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody
I have a friend who rides a Pista in NYC. He loves it, but said that he put a front brake on the thing after 2 near-death experiences in his first week of ownership. My one longish ride on another friend's fixie was loads of fun, but left my knees sore the next day. I could see having one to ride every week or two as a change of pace, but not for my primary ride.

I test-rode several bikes over the past week, looking for a decent rugged road bike to take over commuter duty from the mediocre flat-bar hybrid I've been using. Most of the bikes I tried were Al-framed cyclocross bikes. I ended up buying a Bianchi Volpe yesterday. Steel frame, and the cheapest and probably the heaviest of the bikes I tried. But I chose it because of ride quality and gearing more appropriate to my use, not price.

I was up late last night transferring farkles from the old commuter to the new, and then had trouble getting to sleep because I was itching to get up and ride the thing to work. The old hybrid is going to get fitted with the fattest tires it'll take, and then used as a quasi-mountain-bike on some local trails.

Yeah, I'd go with the front brake too, I'm also looking at this =

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #111
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

if anyone's interested...

My custom Russ Denny AL frame/ Ouzo Pro bike are going up for grabs here soon. TT is 54.5cm not quite sure what the angles are, but it fits me and I'm 5'8".

I've got ALL!! the rings and cogs to go with it to race competetively at the track.
The fork's got the hole for the brake...
King HS
Cinelli 64-40 (42?) bars (Crit bend, not the deep track bend)
Superbe Pro cranks (165)
Campy 'Sherrif Star' Record wheels (Velocity Escape tubular rims/Turo S3 Pro tires)
Control Tech SP and Flite saddle

Best of all, I had it powder coated pearl black. It looks black till you get it out into the sun, then it turns a deep metallic blue. VERY nice.

All yours for the low, low price of $1100 shipped.

No pics, but I can take em if needed.

M
Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #112
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Yeah, I'd go with the front brake too, I'm also looking at this =

Do yourself a favor and take it for an hour + ride before you buy.

M
Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #113
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
if anyone's interested...

My custom Russ Denny AL frame/ Ouzo Pro bike are going up for grabs here soon. TT is 54.5cm not quite sure what the angles are, but it fits me and I'm 5'8".

I've got ALL!! the rings and cogs to go with it to race competetively at the track.
The fork's got the hole for the brake...
King HS
Cinelli 64-40 (42?) bars (Crit bend, not the deep track bend)
Superbe Pro cranks (165)
Campy 'Sherrif Star' Record wheels (Velocity Escape tubular rims/Turo S3 Pro tires)
Control Tech SP and Flite saddle

Best of all, I had it powder coated pearl black. It looks black till you get it out into the sun, then it turns a deep metallic blue. VERY nice.

All yours for the low, low price of $1100 shipped.

No pics, but I can take em if needed.

M

Pics and I'd consider - I'm 5'8" too
Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #114
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Hey! that reminds me...

You completely recovered from that little off you had a while back?

M
That was The Off That Changed Everything...

Physically, I was 100% a few weeks later, despite the br0ken stuff like pelvis & skull.

Mentally, I lost my 35-year love affair with riding in the hills outdoors. But strangely, I found a new love: my trainer in the garage, surrounded by home theater equipment.

No flats, no sunscreen, no having to fill my jersey pockets with energy bars, no waiting for red lights, no coasting down hills, no bee stings, no drunks buzzing me in SUVs. Just a great workout while watching 24, etc.

I know, I'm one in a thousand who likes a trainer. But I really love it!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #115
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy

Physically, I was 100% a few weeks later, despite the br0ken stuff like pelvis & skull.

Mentally, I lost my 35-year love affair with riding in the hills outdoors. But strangely, I found a new love: my trainer in the garage, surrounded by home theater equipment.

No flats, no sunscreen, no having to fill my jersey pockets with energy bars, no waiting for red lights, no coasting down hills, no bee stings, no drunks buzzing me in SUVs. Just a great workout while watching 24, etc.

Hey C, were you wearing a helmet when that happened (or is that a stupid question..)?

Probably didn't matter if I recall the thread..
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #116
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Nicer ride

M
Really? Those Specialized forks don't look too forgiving.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #117
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

yer a sick bastage there Baldy!

'Course if I was almost kilt by a driver, I'd have second (and third, and fourth) thoughts about getting back out there too! Problem is... I don't TT and riding in a pack requires a certain familliarity with what's going on.

You thought about track racing? There's no cars there either!

Good luck with yer riding there tough guy!

I just (re-)saw that yer up the road from me now. IF you wanna go for a ride outside, lemme know. I'd love to get my arse handed to me by you. (where's that brown-nosing smilie when you need one?!)

M
Old 07-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #118
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,846
Quote:
I like my trainer as well, but only because the dehumidifier makes the basement not-so-muggy as outside. And there's no frost-heaves.
UngaWunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #119
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
Really? Those Specialized forks don't look too forgiving.
forks schmorks it ain't in the forks that the good ride happens. About the only thing you'll notice besides a little different level of vibration is a little weight. If yer not racin, an extra pound ain't THAT big a deal!

(besides, forks are replaceable!)

M
Old 07-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #120
ThomD
Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
I'll give ya some of that. Iffen ya wanna go quickly, riding like Grant recommends ain't the bestest way... Iffen ya wanna ride SLOWLY by all means have at it.

There's been generations of pro cyclists honing that 'go fast' position. Ya think they may have it right?!

M
No question that Grant's outlook would be bad advice for racers and those who aspire to race. I think his point is that the mainstream market has largely ignored those who want reliablity and comfort and don't care about those last 2-4 mph. He also doesn't like teh look of modern bikes, but that of course is subjective.

Frankly, dropping 4 punds off a bike just isn't going to make me go faster and if I wanted to fold myself into a preztle, I'd take up yoga.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: