User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #12046
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
I rode the "Tour De Cure" for The American Diabetes Assoc today here in Colorado. Not too much humidity, but it was 97F. Had a good time and raised some $$$... but holy schmoooly was it HOT. I'm NOT a hot weather fan..

RW
Old 08-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #12047
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
I bought a Redline Monocog from my LBS in Brisbane last year. Yes inventory is a bit less than in the States, but look around, it's not that bad.

Also check out Kona, I know they import a fair bit to Oz. Between those two brands, there MUST be a shop with a 29'er for you in NSW.
Funny you should say that. I went to a shop yesterday and they told me about Giants new 29er.

$2300AU and not badly specced. Roughly the same spec for a Fisher or Jamis here is about $4000AU.

Bought the wife a nice shiny new ring so I get myself a nice shiny new 29er and keep the the Monocog and the SS roadie
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:15 AM   #12048
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy
Funny you should say that. I went to a shop yesterday and they told me about Giants new 29er.

$2300AU and not badly specced. Roughly the same spec for a Fisher or Jamis here is about $4000AU.

Bought the wife a nice shiny new ring so I get myself a nice shiny new 29er and keep the the Monocog and the SS roadie
Well shit, that's right! I didn't read the "who" too closely, I knew you already had the cog and that Felt road bike.

The Giant looks like a good bike, it's basically the same bike (I'm sure the frame is made in the same Asian factory) as the Gary Fisher, who did a lot of the pioneering of modern 29'ers. So the frame geometry will be good, and that fork is very good. Price sounds right too. I don't know about the Giant, but we sell the comparable Fisher model in our shop for about $1700usd.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #12049
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
I ordered some things from Nashbar and was just looking at the tubes that I screwed up and ordered. I go 700 x 28-32 instead of my normal 700 x 23. Can I use these without any major problems, or do I need to spend the money to send them back. I am not a racer, so I am not worries about the extra .5 ounce. :-)
Old 08-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #12050
gambrinus

You can generally go up or down one size and be fine. Air it up and make sure that the tire seats in the rim correctly. It's not the best solution, but you should be fine. Or you could always use them as your "emergency" spare to get you home..

RW
Old 08-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #12051
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
You can generally go up or down one size and be fine. Air it up and make sure that the tire seats in the rim correctly. It's not the best solution, but you should be fine. Or you could always use them as your "emergency" spare to get you home..

RW
Yeah, except I ordered 4 of them to try and get me through the rest of the year and into the spring. That usually will be a years supply, but there has been a lot of broken glass where I have been riding lately.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #12052
gambrinus

Buy some 700 x 28 "training tires" something heavy and puncture resistant. You'll feel like a stud when you switch back to your regular 700 x 23

RW
Old 08-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #12053
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Well shit, that's right! I didn't read the "who" too closely, I knew you already had the cog and that Felt road bike.

The Giant looks like a good bike, it's basically the same bike (I'm sure the frame is made in the same Asian factory) as the Gary Fisher, who did a lot of the pioneering of modern 29'ers. So the frame geometry will be good, and that fork is very good. Price sounds right too. I don't know about the Giant, but we sell the comparable Fisher model in our shop for about $1700usd.
Giant takes a 'wait and see' attitude about a lot of stuff.

This is another example

M
Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #12054
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I ordered some things from Nashbar and was just looking at the tubes that I screwed up and ordered. I go 700 x 28-32 instead of my normal 700 x 23. Can I use these without any major problems, or do I need to spend the money to send them back. I am not a racer, so I am not worries about the extra .5 ounce. :-)
They *should* fit fine.

M
Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #12055
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Before I do any major surfing. I need slicks for my wifes 700 x 38c bike. Cheap.

Any links????
Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #12056
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Before I do any major surfing. I need slicks for my wifes 700 x 38c bike. Cheap.

Any links????
Just the major outlets: PBS and Nashbar. Nashbar first (even tho they're basically the same company)

M
Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #12057
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
I was talking to my brother this weekend. He was showing me the bike he built from a Giant NRS Air frameset that he got from an LBS...FOR $650!!!!
It's an '04 and never sold because it's an XL, but he's 6'4". Lucky bastard.

He also showed me Delta 7's website http://delta7sports.com/index.html

Whereinhell am I supposed to put my "One Less Fixie" sticker?
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #12058
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,923
Besides the 29er, I've now got a road bike.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #12059
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,384
Anyone else pondering ditching all the motorcycle crap and being the only engine they've got for two wheels?

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #12060
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
Anyone else pondering ditching all the motorcycle crap and being the only engine they've got for two wheels?

p.s.- Well done, BCC!
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: