User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #12136
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,546
We've got some great trails around here. These particular trails are only a couple miles from my house, so I get to ride them all the time.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #12137
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Ah yes, the commuter races.

I used to laugh many many mornings in Brisbane when the tarted up "warriors" would catch up to me and yell something or other and then pass. I always imagined that on the weekends when I was actually out riding, not commuting, that the many many fat-bellied guys with $10k bikes were the same ones that would rush by me each morning on the way to work.
Had some legendary Creek Path Races when I lived in Boulder. I actually raced the same guy a couple times a week for two summers.

Never talked to him. Never lost but I had to extend my route along his route once or twice. If I hadn't dropped him when it was time for me to turn off I had to follow his route for another half mile so I could dispose of him on the climb.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #12138
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 970
Kingdom Trails Weekend

Just booked a place to stay to spend the long weekend riding at Kingdom Trails in Vermont. I'm completely stoked. The Northeast Kingdom is gorgeous this time of year...
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #12139
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,519
I went with orange.

2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #12140
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Bicycles are dangerous, mkay?

The ring says "married", the forearm says "single".

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #12141
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
Just booked a place to stay to spend the long weekend riding at Kingdom Trails in Vermont. I'm completely stoked. The Northeast Kingdom is gorgeous this time of year...

Post a ride report when you get back.. That's one of those trail systems I keep hearing about. It'd be good to hear your perspective on it.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:17 AM   #12142
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
The ring says "married", the forearm says "single".
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:08 AM   #12143
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Bicycles are dangerous, mkay?

Dude. How the hell are you going to jack off now?
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:59 AM   #12144
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,546
My left hand is in a cast . . . I'm a righty
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #12145
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Cyclocross is hard

Holy crap, I'm in for a world of hurt.

One of the local shops held a 2-hour 'cross clinic last night. Not a training ride, just a basic "This is how you carry the bike. And this is how you remount without crushing your testicles or falling over" event for total 'cross n00bs. Short loop with a double, forced run-up, and U-turn - basically a half length course.

Anyway, two hours later, and I was a good bit more tired than I expected, despite not ever really pushing the pace. The run-up gassed me bad, and the double was harder to time than expected - to get it right I had to slow more than expected. If I tried to do it fast, I ended up dismounting too late, or stutter-stepping the remount.

I have some serious work to do over the next month or so.

Good news is the bike felt good. It's a Bianchi San Jose - single speed, steel, do-it-all bike. Took it out for a "mtb" ride the day before and other than not being used to the drops off-road, it was good. The drops felt fine on the cross course - no technical descents. I need to swap out the 40t chainring for a 39t (40/20 was just a hair to tall), but other than that, it was good.

Can't wait for the season to get going. Should be fun.
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #12146
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Post a ride report when you get back.. That's one of those trail systems I keep hearing about. It'd be good to hear your perspective on it.
Actually, since this'll be my 5th trip there in the last 2 years, I can already give you my perspective. I think it's a pretty great trail system. (Kind of obvious from the fact that this is my 5th visit, right?)

Qualitatively, the Kingdom Trails mostly remind me of the Michigan Tech Trails, but with a lot more miles of singletrack. Both systems are much faster, flowier, and less rocky than the trails around Boston. When I was visiting Houghton a couple of years ago, I was pretty new to mountain biking, and the MTU trails were a bit of a revelation. At that time I didn't have the skills to deal very well with the rocks on my 'home' trails, so the Tech Trails were a lot more fun for me.

I came back from that trip to the UP wondering if there were any trails closer to home that were like the Tech Trails. Then I visited KT for the first time, and had my answer.

I've gotten a lot better at dealing with the chunk of my local trails and come to enjoy it a lot. But I still like KT and figure I'll keep going at least a couple of weekends a year. Mostly for the qualitative change from the local trails (variety is always good) and for the fact that at KT I can spend most of a weekend riding without necessarily repeating any trails other than a few connectors. And I enjoy the more extended climbing and descending. And the area is beautiful, especially in the fall. And it's fun visiting a "mountain biking mecca" and being surrounded by a lot of other MTB geeks.

I don't know that I'd drive halfway across the country just to ride at KT, the way I have a couple of times for Colorado and Utah mountain biking. But if you're considering visiting the area anyways, KT is a good additional reason to go.

BTW: I'm enjoying the tour report on your blog, but hurry up with the next entries, wouldja?
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #12147
Askel
Perma-n00b

Cool, thanks for the KT info. Sounds like my kind of place. I've got some family now out east, so there's a pretty good chance I might head out that way with some bicycle in tow someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
BTW: I'm enjoying the tour report on your blog, but hurry up with the next entries, wouldja?
I'm gonna have to go ahead and have you get in touch with my boss about that. I disappear for two weeks, and they, like, expect me to work when I get back.

Gotta get 'er done tomorrow night though. Just finished putting a rack on the MTB. Gonna ride up to Copper Harbor on Saturday, race Sunday, and ride back home Monday. Not exactly my dream "bikepacking" setup, but I should be able to handle two tracks no problem. Should have my self a whole round of dumb new stories.

Of course, I've been outdone already. On my ride home from work, I met three dudes coming in all the way from Marquette. Showoffs.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #12148
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oh, and this is fucking awesome: http://adrianshort.co.uk/2009/08/24/456/

But please don't get a helmet debate started here. That's not what it's about.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #12149
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Oh, and this is fucking awesome: http://adrianshort.co.uk/2009/08/24/456/

But please don't get a helmet debate started here. That's not what it's about.
I like it!

Doesn't jive with that DJ Spandex video, though.

Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:20 AM   #12150
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
Well I went to buy the Giant 29er today and instead put a deposit down on a 2009 Reign 1.

I couldn't resist the deal of $1300 off the retail price
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: