Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 504 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #12136
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygodiva
Some deail. The old Bianchi logo and way of piecing the frame together (Baby, I can't remember what that's called )
Lugged and brazed tubes, baby. I think it is the most elegant way to put a frame together. Pull the plug if ever you see me looking at the Rivendell site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygodiva
...I soooooo want to rescue this bike.
Are we going to have stray kittens coming home?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #12137
ladygodiva
Gnocca

Oddometer: 13,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble
Lugged and brazed tubes, baby. I think it is the most elegant way to put a frame together. Pull the plug if ever you see me looking at the Rivendell site.
Noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble
Are we going to have stray kittens coming home?

It's not my fault if they get in the car.

"Life's too short to drink bad wine" Lessing

"The civilized people have lost the aptitude of stillness, and must take lessons in silence from the wild." Isak Dinesen aka Karen Blixen

"He who makes a beast of himself get's rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
ladygodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #12138
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
from the steel cranks and 27" steel wheels, that doesn't look like a very good Bianci. they made a lot of cheap junk bikes. Cute bars (on backwards!) but steel??! bleh.

I'd have loved to have scored my dad's old Team from circa 1968 that was in absolutely perfect pristine condition, but it was just way way too small for me (and also coral pink, rather than bianci racing pea green). columbus double butted frame, all campi nuevo record, sewups, cinelli bars, brooks pro seat, etc. so, my brother found a buyer on craigslist :-/
Old 09-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #12139
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
A question for the esteemed panel: what rack/bag combo do you recommend for the daily commute? I've been getting away with a fanny pack ( :ymcabut functional) just for my phone, pager, wallet, keys, etc. for the last few months, but the weather she's a-comin'. I'm going to need something to carry my raingear and probably lunch too. I like the looks of the Topeak MTX quick-release stuff. I was thinking maybe the Explorer rack with the rear basket.

Add some cheapo waterproof stuff sacks for my sundries and call it good. I'm loathe to use ye olde milk crate and all the bags I've seen appear too small.
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #12140
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
I'd go with the top one. That what I used back in the day when I rode to college. I had a bag set that zipped together like a big brief case, extremely nerdy.

But, nobody bothered my racebike with that crap bolted up to it. Well that and the silly floppy plastic fenders.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #12141
Tenacious B
inward singer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster
A question for the esteemed panel: what rack/bag combo do you recommend for the daily commute? I've been getting away with a fanny pack ( :ymcabut functional) just for my phone, pager, wallet, keys, etc. for the last few months, but the weather she's a-comin'. I'm going to need something to carry my raingear and probably lunch too. I like the looks of the Topeak MTX quick-release stuff. I was thinking maybe the Explorer rack with the rear basket.

Add some cheapo waterproof stuff sacks for my sundries and call it good. I'm loathe to use ye olde milk crate and all the bags I've seen appear too small.
I've been using that Topeak rack for years, very sturdy, even when jumping curbs with a semester's worth of engineering books in the bags. I have Jaand bags, which are okay, but you can find plenty of waterproof gear from Ortlieb (probably others out there too). If you can't find a waterproof bag that you like wrapping your gear in a plastic shopping bag inside a standard nylon/cordura bag works just fine as long as your not pedaling under water.
Tenacious B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #12142
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
I looked into getting a rack for the ride to work but it would limit my riding too much.

I ended up getting a new backpack http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/deuter_tr..._ltr_backpack/

It carries all my gear for the ride to work and has a smaller bottom compartment where I keep a jacket and tools, tubes etc. Plus a spot for a 3 litre bladder.

This way I am not limited to one bike to get to work. Monday to Tuesday I ride the roadie and Thursday and Friday its the MTB with a longer way home as I finish at 2.30 on Thursdays and 12.30 on Fridays.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #12143
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy
I looked into getting a rack for the ride to work but it would limit my riding too much.

I ended up getting a new backpack http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/deuter_tr..._ltr_backpack/

It carries all my gear for the ride to work and has a smaller bottom compartment where I keep a jacket and tools, tubes etc. Plus a spot for a 3 litre bladder.

This way I am not limited to one bike to get to work. Monday to Tuesday I ride the roadie and Thursday and Friday its the MTB with a longer way home as I finish at 2.30 on Thursdays and 12.30 on Fridays.
Is that thing water proof?
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #12144
Lewy
Minus the LC8

It has a waterproof cover that is stored in the very bottom.

And going off my previous 5 year old dueter back pack, everything stays dry no matter how heavy the rain.

It hasn't rained on me yet with this new one.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #12145
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
That is so damn funny to me!

I just got back from Denmark. Five million people there, prolly 20+ million bikes and 99% have racks on them. The Danes actually USE their bikes.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #12146
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiles
That is so damn funny to me!

I just got back from Denmark. Five million people there, prolly 20+ million bikes and 99% have racks on them. The Danes actually USE their bikes.
Why is it funny?

I just don't want to ride singletrack on my MTB with a rack on so I choose to use a backpack.

Good on the Danes for actually using their bikes, should be more of it.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #12147
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
I resurrected an old Eclipse rack system I had kicking around for the old bike i sent off to my kid to use around college (HSU in Arcata, the bike was my 1983 original Specialized Stumpjumper Sport). OMG, what a great rack system, the packs or baskets fit onto the rack via a rod-in-channel system, and the rack was only a little heavier than the classic Blackburn style rack. But, somewhere in there about 25 years ago, Eclipse decided they were going to be a motorcycle luggage company instead of a bicycle company, and now they are history AFAIK.

mildly amusing, all I could find to send off with this bike+rack was one folding basket (in blue) and one proper pannier (in red). neatest basket I've seen ever, its mostly fabric, with just a minimum of alloy frame, and plastic bottom stiffiner... folded up, its nearly nothing, but open it can hold a full bag of groceries and more. pretty damn good pannier too, can hold quite a bit of stuff, top grade cordura nylon, outer pocket was quite room too. when new, it was 100% waterproof (hey, I bikecamped through several intense downpours with this kit and my gear stayed dry).
Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #12148
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
I just don't want to ride singletrack on my MTB with a rack on so I choose to use a backpack.
With all the shit I carry, a backpack would be just as annoying, I'm looking into a proper bikepacking setup right now- most likely some custom stuff done by Epic Designs or me (see my sewing machine thread. )

But hey, whatever works...

I'm currently using axiom stuff. Maybe not the best, but certainly cheap enough, and it gets the job done.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #12149
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
With all the shit I carry, a backpack would be just as annoying, I'm looking into a proper bikepacking setup right now- most likely some custom stuff done by Epic Designs or me (see my sewing machine thread. )

But hey, whatever works...

I'm currently using axiom stuff. Maybe not the best, but certainly cheap enough, and it gets the job done.
For sure if I was touring I would get racks but my original comments (and the Nedsters' comments) related to riding to work.

On the other hand, if i was touring I would probably get a bob trailer.

And a bike with gears
Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #12150
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
...On the other hand, if i was touring I would probably get a bob trailer.

The BOB trailers are great. I have the Yak, but in retrospect I would rather have gotten the Ibex. Not having suspension on the trailer is not the end of the world, but it would be nice to not have it bouncing quite so violently over bumps and the like.

And one can waaaaaaay overpack them. It does free up panniers for loose things like rain gear, however. The trailer also has two bottle rack mounts in back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: