Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.44 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #12256
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
HnnnnnBluuuhwoooh!

Sorry mate, that's all I could hear as you yelled out the car window at me.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #12257
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble
Sorry mate, that's all I could hear as you yelled out the car window at me.

I've begun to rate the relative creativity of things people yell out car windows at me.

"Faggot!" doesn't even register anymore- it's background noise.

So far, the best has been "Get a fuckin' job, asshole!" You can't beat that kind of irony. You think these spandex trousers, fancy bicycle, and overpriced snacks are free, pal?
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #12258
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
I've begun to rate the relative creativity of things people yell out car windows at me.

"Faggot!" doesn't even register anymore- it's background noise.

So far, the best has been "Get a fuckin' job, asshole!" You can't beat that kind of irony. You think these spandex trousers, fancy bicycle, and overpriced snacks are free, pal?
The people without licenses or jobs are the ones on the bicycles that don't fit them. We have a lot of those. You see a 6' tall guy on a bike that a 5' tall person would probably be able to ride comfortably. They are also the one's smoking while riding and they have a brown paper bag with them. Sometimes holding a case of really cheap ass beer.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #12259
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
.... and they have a brown paper bag with them. Sometimes holding a case of really cheap ass beer.

Oooohhhhh. OK, that explains it.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #12260
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
Pearl Izumi Lobster Gloves...

Anyone got 'em?

Waterproof? Warm? Reasonably durable?
I have the Performance Bike version of Lobster Gloves (several years old at this point). Now, I ride in California, so the coldest temps I ride in are mid-30's, and they are warm enough for me (but--I'm female and I get cold hands easily). I have not worn them in pouring rain so I don't know about water-proofness. They do fine in heavy fog and light rain.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #12261
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
Pearl Izumi Lobster Gloves...

Anyone got 'em?

Waterproof? Warm? Reasonably durable?
I've got a pair. They work, but honestly it's kind of a wash whether they're actually any better than mittens. They're less warm than decent mittens, but only slightly improve your dexterity; I can shift road STI levers without much trouble with mittens. Maybe the lobsters would help if you found yourself doing a roadside repair, but only a little.

But I guess lobsters look cooler than mittens.

Can't really comment on durability or waterproofness, as I've only had them a couple of seasons and usually avoid riding in the rain. I have taken them out during the first heavy snowfall of the year, and had snow melt on them; My hands stayed dry, but we're not talking tons of snow, here.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #12262
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,207
Quote:

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #12263
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 951
Took the newish road bike out for a 45 mile spin in perfect weather this afternoon.

I briefly thought about going mountain biking instead. Then I remembered that my knee is still sore from banging it good on the fork last time I went mountain biking, and I didn't want it to have to soak up any impacts.

But really, that was an excuse. Truth is, I'm loving the road bike. It tasks me, this new machine, and it takes a lot of willpower to keep myself at a placid spin for the entirety of a ride on it. I finish most with my legs pinging like the cooling engine of a car that's just been run hard and long.

(Random note for anybody shopping: Universal Cycles has last-generation (but still 10-speed) D/A cassettes for ridiculously cheap. Not affiliated, just a satisfied customer.)
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #12264
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Here's my commuter setup. I use a Tubus Cargo Rear Rack with one of my Arkels. These bags are big enough to carry a change of clothes and a small container for lunch. I also carry a tool kit, rain cover, tubes and a light jacket. Plus chargers, U-lock, cables, etc. It can really carry alot.

Backpacks just make me sweat and weight can get annoying really fast. The LHT is built like a tank and I'm always riding off curbs and jumping it. I've never had the rack/pannier limit what/where I ride.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #12265
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
So I haven't exercised in well over 2 yrs, seriously.

And I eat like a 16 yr old suburban kid, sleep like an air traffic controller, and drink like a sailor.

When I was a kid I was somewhat serious about bicycling, at least from around 13 to 18 yrs. I did club rides for my age group, did a few centuries, and long freestyle tours solo, and with groups. I even rode a Mtn bike when no one knew what they were. Then (as I got more into motorcycling) I went to running for a good 5 yrs. but that faded out as my lower back became worse (from two accidents, one car, one motorcycle),

So I'm thinking of getting back into cycling. I have a very good Klein mountain bike but I find it's not geared for city use (geared too low), and even with the thinnest hybrid tires, it still whirs as I'm moving along.

I'm thinking of getting a decent road bike, but not sure what "type".

I seem to be drawn to the time trial style bike, because of the handlebars/shifter/elbow pads. They seem great for cranking hard, cardio, etc, but they also seem too "trick" with the small wheelbase.

I'd like all you cycle nerds to help me out with advice on bike style, and brand. I hear they're all made in China now anyway, even Cannondale....

Thanks.
There are a lot of bikes not made in China. Depends on what ya wanna pay.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #12266
Askel
Perma-n00b

Cyclocross!!!

It's here!

Man, why I did think doing this again was such a great idea?!

Oh, the glorious pain!

First race was today.

Not only did I not get lapped, I managed a 6th overall- well into the top third of the field.

It was still 30 minutes of pure, sweet misery. In 80 degree heat and dusty dusty conditions.

Finally got to see a Fargo in person. As it passed me on the course. Fucker.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #12267
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Cyclocross!!!

It's here!

Man, why I did think doing this again was such a great idea?!

Oh, the glorious pain!

First race was today.

Not only did I not get lapped, I managed a 6th overall- well into the top third of the field.

It was still 30 minutes of pure, sweet misery. In 80 degree heat and dusty dusty conditions.

Finally got to see a Fargo in person. As it passed me on the course. Fucker.
I will have to find something locally to watch. Don't have a bike to ride in one, but maybe it will get me motivated to get back on the bike. I have only been swimming lately because of some knee pain.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #12268
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV
Here's my commuter setup. I use a Tubus Cargo Rear Rack with one of my Arkels. These bags are big enough to carry a change of clothes and a small container for lunch. I also carry a tool kit, rain cover, tubes and a light jacket. Plus chargers, U-lock, cables, etc. It can really carry alot.

Backpacks just make me sweat and weight can get annoying really fast. The LHT is built like a tank and I'm always riding off curbs and jumping it. I've never had the rack/pannier limit what/where I ride.

Nice! The LHT and Cross-Check are on my short list of ideal commuter bikes.
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 AM   #12269
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV

Do they still only come with 26" rims?
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #12270
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Do they still only come with 26" rims?
As per the Surly website, the 42-54cm frames use 26" hoops, 56cm and up sport the 700c.
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: