Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 268 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #12361
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Paul and I headed off to Peet's this morning to grab a cup of coffee, and then ride down the the LBS. We did that, and then headed down the bike path for a ways. Got to the first rest stop and kept going, thinking the next rest stop was just up the trail a bit. 6 miles later I pull in really needing to drain some of that processed coffee by now.

This was our turn around 18 miles, and a bit into the ride.
Back at the house on the hill and into the teeth of the heat today we managed a total of 35.75 miles for the morning. With a bit of that hammering along nicely at about 20 mph.

I am pretty happy about being able to ride that much today. I had spent the last part of the week fighting off some food poisoning, (Bad shell fish)... So, my riding for the week was weak.
My back is still acting up a bit, but slowly getting better. No idea what I did to mess it up, (Lower back spasms).
We found out that Good old Amtrack only has three bike hooks per train and only six on the coaster, or what ever they call it. That deal of riding to SD and then catching the train back becomes a marathon of waiting for "hooks" on the train.
Paul and I have a better plan. We ride to SD, and our wives drive down and meet us. We get a hotel and eat big and find a place in a pool to soak away the days riding.

No train.
That last bit sounds mo bettah. Spousal approval is sure to follow. Give them 'girl time' and you get 'ride time.'

I've had Stick drop me off X miles from home and run home before. I've also run X miles to meet her and gotten a ride home. It works.

M
Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #12362
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre
Woohoo! Congrats! That's a solid ride!

Chocolate Gu is pretty tasty, and their Vanilla Bean isn't too bad, either. Otherwise, you might want to try Raspberry Hammer Gel.

Stay the fuck away from Strawberry and Banana Powerbar Gel.

As an alternative, you might want to try something like Heed or Perpetuem.

And yes, I drink the Hammer Nutrition kool-aid - but only because I bought it in bulk during my half IM training and it works great for me.

By the way - one gu and a gatorade for 51 miles is NOT enough, especially in that kind of weather. You need to a) hydrate, b) replenish blood sugars, and c) replace electrolytes lost to sweat.
I wouldn't dare try that ride with just one Gatorade and one GU. It's what I had left to get me home from dangerously borderline bonk conditions. When I stopped to eat it, I had chill bumps in 94 degree heat. Thanks for the tips on the other products!
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #12363
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
When you say "longer lasting", I assume you're talking about extending your ride, not the health benefits?
Both, actually

The nicest thing about fixie riding is it forces you to spin (assuming you pick an appropriate gear) smoothly over all kinds of terrain. I useta ride a beater fixie back and forth to work. Up the hills was actually easier'n down the hills! 200+ rpm is hard to keep up with!

Speaking of fixed gear bikes: I'm lookin forward to getting back to the Denver area where there ARE tracks within decent distances. I miss racing track. Its lookin more like Feb at this point, not Nov.

M
Old 09-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #12364
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
I wouldn't dare try that ride with just one Gatorade and one GU. It's what I had left to get me home from dangerously borderline bonk conditions. When I stopped to eat it, I had chill bumps in 94 degree heat. Thanks for the tips on the other products!
I like Mtn Dew and Snickers bars when I NEED something and I'm in the middle of nowhere. Lots of sugar, caffeine for that performance boost, and if you look at the snickers wrapper, it isn't too dissimilar from lots of the fancy bars. ...oh! and the Snickerses taste better!

I've also had bottles of Slim Fast (followed by.... Mtn Dew!) in the middle of a ride, but ya gotta make sure yer stomach's gonna handle that stuff. GI distress in outer BFE is no bueno. DAMHIK

No, I'm not the most scientific eater out there BUT I've only bonked once in my life.

I'm not qualified to comment on the shock question from above. I don't know a bunch about DS bikes. I can work on em, but I haven't the foggiest about changing shocks out

M
Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #12365
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn
How much do you want to spend? Any FS bike under 1000.00 is going to be a heavy pig, IMO. You can find used bikes on CL for decent money. If you want to buy new, take a look at Specialized or Trek bikes with LX or XT components. Can't go wrong with either one. There are so many variables though... And road riding gets you in good enough shape so you can enjoy a ride in the woods without passing out. Good luck!
I probably have a max of $500 to spend. My LBS is having a sale right now and there are some Specialized in that price range - hardtail that is.

It seems that given my price range, a decent hardtail is about all I can get - I'd rather buy new if possible unless someone knows of a good used bike out there ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #12366
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
That last bit sounds mo bettah. Spousal approval is sure to follow. Give them 'girl time' and you get 'ride time.'

I've had Stick drop me off X miles from home and run home before. I've also run X miles to meet her and gotten a ride home. It works.

M
... Last time we attempted this my wife and kids and the cats were evacuated from the house on the hill due to the freeway complex fire, (last year)... Paul and I were at the beach. On bicycles. In bicycle gear. His car was at my house, with the National Guard keeping people away.
Freeway closed to his house anyway.

So we got drunk watched comedy on U-tube and played board games.

House did not burn down, (yeah, I'm still paying for it... If it had burned down, I wouldn't have to install wood floors and replace the ugly white tile with pink, (yes I said pink) grout.)

This weekend another "wear" issue reared it's ugly head. My fancy Cinelli stem has decided that working in unison with the bars they no longer wish to cooperate in holding the bars in a specific position. This is not unlike the rebellion going on at the seat post/seat interface. They have decided to rotate whenever the mood strikes them, and so far have found it funny to rotate such that the new seat position proves greater discomfort to your's truely...
Looks like we have a mutiny on our hands.

Damn pirates.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #12367
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
with a hard tail, you pretty much have to stand up on the rough stuff (roots, rocks, etc), while you sit on a FSR and let the suspension do it for you.

a heavy rider will need either air shocks (and the trick little 250psi pump) or upgraded springs, this goes for the front forks too. sometimes those fork springs are hard to come by, but without them, you'll be bottoming out. the bike makers seem to think the average cyclist is 140 lbs, maybe 150 lbs on a 'large' frame (at 5'10", you're probably 'medium').
I'm good with standing, it's actually my preferred technique riding the Husky so I envisage doing the same on a Mtn bike.

Thanks for your feedback.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #12368
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
yup FS is nice for not beating you up on all-day rides. That being said, you certainly don't *need* it. You can get a much lighter, higher component-ed hardtail for less.

(a) pretty much the only bikes that come with steel springs these days are either cheap toystore crap, or at the opposite end of the spectrum, hardcore, ultra-long travel DH bikes where the non-linearity of air-springs becomes an issue. Everything we carry in our shop is air-sprung, front and rear.

(b) any FS bike worth a damn will come with a shock pump and handle your average well-fed advrider.
Thanks
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #12369
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
Do you have any specific trails in mind? I might be familiar with them.

I've spent a lot of my riding time over the past couple of years on the mountain bike trails in this area. I've done time on rigid bikes, hardtails, and full suspension bikes. For me, FS wins hands down. Trails where I don't appreciate the extra cush of FS are pretty rare around here. Even the 'fire roads' usually have occasional rock gardens or dense root networks. Very little isn't "rideable" on a hardtail or rigid bike, but FS lets me go faster when things get chunky and lets me ride for longer without feeling beat up.

WRT your comment about getting bored with road riding: I felt exactly the same way, for most of the past year or so, which is why I've mostly been mountain biking in that time. But recently I got a lovely new road bike, and I'm in love with asphalt all over again.
The only trails I have been on around here are the trails in Carlisle. A mate lent me his old bike (no suspension at all). Those trails are about as 'technical' as I think I'd like to go - he has a FS bike and he's way fitter than me. As I said, I love cycling and it's a great way to lose weight and get/keep fit but I am getting a little bored by cycling on the road.

I think the limiting factor here is the money I have to spend. I only have about $500 and I'd prefer to buy new so I think right away that rules out a FS bike and leads me to a hardtail and I think given the type of trails I would want to do, a hardtail would be fine.

Thanks for your feedback
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #12370
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
The only trails I have been on around here are the trails in Carlisle. A mate lent me his old bike (no suspension at all). Those trails are about as 'technical' as I think I'd like to go - he has a FS bike and he's way fitter than me. As I said, I love cycling and it's a great way to lose weight and get/keep fit but I am getting a little bored by cycling on the road.

I think the limiting factor here is the money I have to spend. I only have about $500 and I'd prefer to buy new so I think right away that rules out a FS bike and leads me to a hardtail and I think given the type of trails I would want to do, a hardtail would be fine.

Thanks for your feedback
If there's a Performance nearby, check out their house brand: Access. I had their last model frame and it rode REALLY nice! Failing that, try Pricepoint.com and their Sette house brand. My guess is its made in the same factory everybody else's shit's made in

HTH

M
Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #12371
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Ed Sander Cyclocross report

I entered my first cyclocross yesterday. It was the Ed Sander Cross in Adamstown, MD. What a blast!

Leave home about 6:30am with about an hour to drive. It's chilly and raining a constant drizzle. It had rained most of the previous day and night. Perfect weather!

Registration goes smoothly and I bump into a few guys I know from the LBS. Head back to the car to pin my number and get ready for a warm-up lap. Beginning to get some butterflies - there are some seriously fit looking guys here.

I start the warm-up lap and all is going smooth. Then I hit the mud. And more mud. And some more mud after that. This particular race is held on a farm that grows lilies and other water plants - it's at river level, flat, and doesn't drain. About halfway through the lap, I call it quits and head back to the car to swap freewheels (started the day with 39x18 and went to 39x20).

Warm-up attempt number two goes better. I can ride the muddy bits and the descents aren't long enough to run out of gear (at least not at my pace). The run-ups go well, some other new riders are freaking out over some steep, technical descents that are cake to a mountain biker. I see the waffle and beer tent on the back nine and make a mental note for later. Finish the lap feeling a bit gassed, but not to bad.

Call-ups are at 9 and I decide to hang back and start on the back row. The guns goes off, the leaders rocket ahead and I toodle along at my own pace. By some miracle, I'm actually beating people and feeling pretty good. Then we get to the first set of barriers. I go to dismount and unclip my left foot first. Fuckdamnshit! I wind up at a dead stop in front of the barrier with my brain not working. Mental reboot, lose a few places, nearly last, and I'm off again.

Get to the mud pits and start passing people again. Lots of roadies with no experience. Wooo. Feeling good again. Up the gravel road, pass a few more - I should be getting whooped with my sissy gearing, but I'm gaining intead. Go me!

Pass the party tent and get some good-natured ribbing from the announcer. "Get on that bike, why are you running up the hill?" I try to think of a witty retort, but all that I can muster is a pathetic gurgle.

Back on the bike, mostly downhill from here. Do my best super-moto, leg out impression on some slick corners. Cross the line, really beginning to hurt now. Lungs, legs, everything. But it's a good hurt, I think. Grab the rear wheel of a tall guy on mountain bike. He's parked next to me and we spoke earlier, so I start chatting. I think he didn't like that much, as he tried to pull ahead. Stuck on his back, got him on a technical descent, and stayed ahead most of the lap.

Decided I wanted to beat him. That would be good enough. He passes me again. Get to the mud, and I sneak by and stay ahead. No more heckling form the announcer - just encouragement. Then I realize I'm being lapped. That's not good. Let the fast guys go around, but don't lose much time.

Finish the race seconds ahead of the mountain bike guy. Good stuff. Ditch the bike at my car, and wander up the party tent. Grab some brew and waffles and watch other people suffer for a few hours. Some poor lady fell into a lily pond - glad it wasn't me. Can't wait for next weekend!
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #12372
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack Monkey
I entered my first cyclocross yesterday. It was the Ed Sander Cross in Adamstown, MD. What a blast!

Leave home about 6:30am with about an hour to drive. It's chilly and raining a constant drizzle. It had rained most of the previous day and night. Perfect weather!

Registration goes smoothly and I bump into a few guys I know from the LBS. Head back to the car to pin my number and get ready for a warm-up lap. Beginning to get some butterflies - there are some seriously fit looking guys here.

I start the warm-up lap and all is going smooth. Then I hit the mud. And more mud. And some more mud after that. This particular race is held on a farm that grows lilies and other water plants - it's at river level, flat, and doesn't drain. About halfway through the lap, I call it quits and head back to the car to swap freewheels (started the day with 39x18 and went to 39x20).

Warm-up attempt number two goes better. I can ride the muddy bits and the descents aren't long enough to run out of gear (at least not at my pace). The run-ups go well, some other new riders are freaking out over some steep, technical descents that are cake to a mountain biker. I see the waffle and beer tent on the back nine and make a mental note for later. Finish the lap feeling a bit gassed, but not to bad.

Call-ups are at 9 and I decide to hang back and start on the back row. The guns goes off, the leaders rocket ahead and I toodle along at my own pace. By some miracle, I'm actually beating people and feeling pretty good. Then we get to the first set of barriers. I go to dismount and unclip my left foot first. Fuckdamnshit! I wind up at a dead stop in front of the barrier with my brain not working. Mental reboot, lose a few places, nearly last, and I'm off again.

Get to the mud pits and start passing people again. Lots of roadies with no experience. Wooo. Feeling good again. Up the gravel road, pass a few more - I should be getting whooped with my sissy gearing, but I'm gaining intead. Go me!

Pass the party tent and get some good-natured ribbing from the announcer. "Get on that bike, why are you running up the hill?" I try to think of a witty retort, but all that I can muster is a pathetic gurgle.

Back on the bike, mostly downhill from here. Do my best super-moto, leg out impression on some slick corners. Cross the line, really beginning to hurt now. Lungs, legs, everything. But it's a good hurt, I think. Grab the rear wheel of a tall guy on mountain bike. He's parked next to me and we spoke earlier, so I start chatting. I think he didn't like that much, as he tried to pull ahead. Stuck on his back, got him on a technical descent, and stayed ahead most of the lap.

Decided I wanted to beat him. That would be good enough. He passes me again. Get to the mud, and I sneak by and stay ahead. No more heckling form the announcer - just encouragement. Then I realize I'm being lapped. That's not good. Let the fast guys go around, but don't lose much time.

Finish the race seconds ahead of the mountain bike guy. Good stuff. Ditch the bike at my car, and wander up the party tent. Grab some brew and waffles and watch other people suffer for a few hours. Some poor lady fell into a lily pond - glad it wasn't me. Can't wait for next weekend!
Thanks for the race report. I enjoy reading these.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #12373
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Me too but you don't see me quoting the whole damn thing!!

Seriously now, I'm racing vicariously thru y'all, so post up! I'm in cross hell. A. As in there isn't any and B. I haven't been riding, I've been running all summer.

M
Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #12374
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Me too. (both times )

Especially since I'm stuck in a hotel in Baltimore with none of my bikes...

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #12375
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber
Me too. (both times )

Especially since I'm stuck in a hotel in Baltimore with none of my bikes...
Where's the rest of them pics?

Seriously now, I know I appreciate the updates from Interbike. So, thank you for takin time to take and post em

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: