Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.44 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #12466
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV

I have a question though. There were alot of mentions of "Bag Balm" or vaseline being applied to the shorts before a ride. Do any of you do this? Is it necessary? Should I take a "dry" run before I try adding any sort of cream/jelly or should I just lube it up!

Errin
I have done century rides and I don't use any lube. That is just me and my preference. Each person is different and as Gummee says --- YMMV
Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #12467
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I have done century rides and I don't use any lube. That is just me and my preference. Each person is different and as Gummee says --- YMMV

You need to toughen up the skin down there. If you ride a lot, the skin is tough and you don't need lube, but if you don't ride much, then you might need to lube up.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #12468
Crack Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
There were alot of mentions of "Bag Balm" or vaseline being applied to the shorts before a ride. Do any of you do this? Is it necessary? Should I take a "dry" run before I try adding any sort of cream/jelly or should I just lube it up!
Chamois cream was originally used when chamois were made of leather. The leather would get stiff after washing if it wasn't treated. Most (all?) modern shorts use synthetic chamois that doesn't get stiff.

So, you won't need chamois cream for it's original purpose. But, that's not to say some sort of thick cream won't help avoid abrasion and keep all your nether bits moisturized and happy.

I have a tub of Chamois Butt'r. It's the euro-style stuff with a bit of menthol in the mix. Other than the tingle, I can't say I notice a difference between it and the non-tingly variety. Some of the lotions are also good for use on exposed skin on dry, cold wintery rides. I don't use it on every ride, just longer rides or race days.
Crack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #12469
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack Monkey
Chamois cream was originally used when chamois were made of leather. The leather would get stiff after washing if it wasn't treated. Most (all?) modern shorts use synthetic chamois that doesn't get stiff.

So, you won't need chamois cream for it's original purpose. But, that's not to say some sort of thick cream won't help avoid abrasion and keep all your nether bits moisturized and happy.

I have a tub of Chamois Butt'r. It's the euro-style stuff with a bit of menthol in the mix. Other than the tingle, I can't say I notice a difference between it and the non-tingly variety. Some of the lotions are also good for use on exposed skin on dry, cold wintery rides. I don't use it on every ride, just longer rides or race days.

The new sythetic pads can and will give you a bacterial skin rash if you're not careful cleaning them, or you wear one for a long rides with a lot of spinning (or fixed gear, constant motion) (century, etc). Assos makes a few cleansing products that keep this from happening, along with lube to fight abrasion/burn/hot spots.

I had it once and it wasn't fun, rash will smell too.

I use the butter on long rides, more so in summer season because of all the sweating.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #12470
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
So one of my teammates broke his hand in the first informal wednesday night 'cross races we had. Fortunately for us, he's a great photographer.

Somehow, I seem to not suck too bad at CX this year. I'm actually racing instead of just trying to stay alive.

And I finally finished my Manitowoc tour report over at the ol' blogerino. Kinda anticlimactic, I know- but I'm kind of busy this month.
Good photographer? Them fuckers are all blurry an shit.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #12471
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 6,882
Quote:
I had been wearing some Ex-Officio boxers (no seams) and my cycling knickers.
I'm confused. Are you wearing boxers under your padded biking shorts?
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #12472
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650
I'm guessing he just means one of the many cycling friendly, wicking, lightweight material knicker offerings which are ultra-hip this season. Didn't you know the knicker was the new black? Everybody from Fox to Swobo has something to satisfy the inner bike-messenger in all of us
Old 10-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #12473
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,170
I like knickers.

More'n I do tights.

I have a coupla pairs of PI Boulder knickers that work very well for running as well as riding.

M
Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #12474
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Proper Training Motivation

Some people ask how I stick to my high mileage program.

You don't race...

You don't do group rides...

How do you do it?

Proper motivation, I say!

Proper motivation.

This month, it's Growlers of Roggenhammer!
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #12475
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650

Just boxers and knickers. Some cotton and some WWR fabric. The knickers don't have any padding sewn into them. I will be trying shorts with a chamois now though.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #12476
ErrinV
D Boon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
I'm guessing he just means one of the many cycling friendly, wicking, lightweight material knicker offerings which are ultra-hip this season. Didn't you know the knicker was the new black? Everybody from Fox to Swobo has something to satisfy the inner bike-messenger in all of us
It has nothing to do with being hip. I just ride a steel bike with fenders and a leather seat. I have no interest in pretending to be or look like every other Lance Look-A-Like on the street. Kinda like how I ended up on Advrider. Just doing something different.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #12477
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,643
Quote:
It has nothing to do with being hip. I just ride a steel bike with fenders and a leather seat. I have no interest in pretending to be or look like every other Lance Look-A-Like on the street. Kinda like how I ended up on Advrider. Just doing something different.

-that's funny, in NYC the guys dressed up like Lance are the one's that look like indy, against the norm, different, oddball. We have a billion knicker wearing trendudes and dudettes on SS/fixed, or super tight jeans rolled up.

I've been riding my "Broox'd out" fixed with the brightest ghey spandex I can find, just to cover all my bases...
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #12478
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,356
Quote:
Just boxers and knickers. Some cotton and some WWR fabric. The knickers don't have any padding sewn into them. I will be trying shorts with a chamois now though.
OK, what are knickers ? I know what knickers mean to me...but I doubt you'd be riding in what I call knickers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #12479
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
OK, what are knickers ? I know what knickers mean to me...but I doubt you'd be riding in what I call knickers

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #12480
ErrinV
D Boon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
-that's funny, in NYC the guys dressed up like Lance are the one's that look like indy, against the norm, different, oddball. We have a billion knicker wearing trendudes and dudettes on SS/fixed, or super tight jeans rolled up.

I've been riding my "Broox'd out" fixed with the brightest ghey spandex I can find, just to cover all my bases...
haha. I gues you're right Perry. I've noticed here in LA though that the fixed gear riders won't wave and the roadies won't wave either. Maybe it's the fenders? Maybe I should mix it up with some Lycra too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: