User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #12571
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Don't try to steer the bike. You lean the bike to move on the rollers.

Practice in a doorway, until you feel comfortable. DON'T look at the front wheel.

Once your speed is over 10 mph you get smoother and can ride for long periods without any problems. I ride on the aerobars on the rollers for usually 5 - 7 miles and then sit up and ride one handed or just fingertips on the edges. I always keep one hand on the bars.

Good cadence, good speed and good pedal stroke usually keep you on the rollers. I have ridden mountain bike, road bike and comfort bike on my rollers. Road bike is what I prefer.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #12572
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,494
thanks
I like the idea of practice in a door way, that makes sense

I opend the link to book mark it for later and the first picture i see is a bloke riding rollers with no hands - kinda awesome but also also nervous at the same time

looking fwd to the challenge

thanks

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #12573
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe
thanks
I like the idea of practice in a door way, that makes sense
Choose the right sized doorway and maintain your balance by just touching the door frame with your elbows as you need it. But don't rely on the prop too much. Learn to pedal smooth and then get out of the door.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #12574
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,571
So I actually rode a bicycle yesterday.

The Pedalphiles Hash had its 3rd analversary and Stick really really wanted to go. So we did.

Lots of streets in/around Shooter's Bar and Grill. Not much to tell about urban riding except ya gotta watch for manhole covers! One of em snuck up on my and if I hadn't gotten my hands on my drops, I'da had a stem in my chest and prolly woulda crashed. It was a close thing. I was talkin to Stick on trail and WHAMMO!

That tree cast a dark shadow and I basically wasn't payin attention.

Luckily, I'm not writing this in a cast, with a busted up face, or any of that.

M
Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #12575
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber
Choose the right sized doorway and maintain your balance by just touching the door frame with your elbows as you need it. But don't rely on the prop too much. Learn to pedal smooth and then get out of the door.
When you get good enough, you can ride no hands, drink, eat, change TV channels, etc.

I haven't quite mastered the skill of just hopping on and going without a prop. Just don't have the need to.

M
Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #12576
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber
Back when I had rollers, I had a basement. Unfinished. Perfect for this activity since it was cool and away from attention. More importantly there were the exposed overhead beams of the floor above that were perfectly suited for an overhead handhold for beginning. I used a couple of wooden boxes placed at the sides of the rollers as steps onto the saddle. The down side of this is after a big workout, I could barely get myself back upstairs.

I eventually got to where I could pull a jersey off while riding the rollers. But after my last crash off them, (watching motorcycle roadracing tapes on TV), and leaning into the turn drops you off the rollers onto the floor and moving pretty good. I managed to miss the television and bounce off the wall and daybed, so no damage to the bike or me. The daybed did not fair so well. Those little legs snapped.

I gave the rollers away to a younger fellow with the stipulation that he could never return them.

I had a very cheap set from Nashbar, or Performance. Plain bearings, and a real workout to do an hour on them. I got to where if it was too cold to ride, I'd go skate for a few hours. In Colorado the days were rare when I couldn't get a ride in with the right kit that is.
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #12577
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
But after my last crash off them, (watching motorcycle roadracing tapes on TV), and leaning into the turn drops you off the rollers onto the floor and moving pretty good. I managed to miss the television and bounce off the wall and daybed, so no damage to the bike or me. The daybed did not fair so well. Those little legs snapped.
I hadn't thought about the forward component of falling off of rollers, just the sideways. Now I have a much funnier mental image!

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #12578
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,454
I'm in love:

SE Stout 29er.

Picked this up today. I've always wanted a bike that was like a big BMX bike but would let me get proper leg extension while sitting. The new generation of steel single speed 29ers built by companies with BMX backgrounds fit this bill nicely. Just a few rides and it's already one of my favorite bikes ever. all for $399!

Jut some disc brakes, a BMX bar and stem, and some cr-mo 3 piece cranks away from perfection.

Sweet.
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #12579
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
Jut some disc brakes, a BMX bar and stem, and some cr-mo 3 piece cranks away from perfection.

Sweet.

Cr-moly CRANKS?? say huh? Sure, use a steel axle if you're a real masher, but cranks?? ain't never heard of noone, and I mean no one, bending/breaking decent aluminum alloy cranks.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #12580
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,401
ok kids.

anyone got a good clothign site that has suuper deals for socks/leg warmers/arm warmers/maybe a bib knicker?

not performance, pricepoint, jensenusa, etc. but something i ahvent seen before.

im thinking of commuting via bike and need some stuff.

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #12581
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
ok kids.

anyone got a good clothign site that has suuper deals for socks/leg warmers/arm warmers/maybe a bib knicker?

not performance, pricepoint, jensenusa, etc. but something i ahvent seen before.

You wanna PM me or you want it here?

www.longscycles.com

M
Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #12582
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
Cr-moly CRANKS?? say huh? Sure, use a steel axle if you're a real masher, but cranks?? ain't never heard of noone, and I mean no one, bending/breaking decent aluminum alloy cranks.

I have snapped "decent" Truvativ aluminum alloy crank arms in half just pedalling. My 235lbs. coming off a jump to flat ground would put out more force than that.

Tubular cr-mo cranks have been the standard on high quality BMX bikes for a long time now and are also used by lots of folks in the urban/freeride/downhill scenes.

It all started with Redline Flight Cranks, which are still available.

I'll be putting a similar set on the new bike. I doubt that I'd break the ones it came with, but I love the look of these and well, I want them.
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #12583
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!

You wanna PM me or you want it here?

www.longscycles.com

M

Thanks for the link that doesn't work.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #12584
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
ok kids.

Why not performance? There's one right near the job site I've been on for the last few months. I've spent too much money there.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #12585
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
Thanks for the link that doesn't work.

http://www.longscycle.com/

Try that one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: