Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #12586
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Some nice prices. Cheap arm and knee warmers. Medium price full-fingered gloves.

I rode in 50 degrees the last two days and I can see where these seemingly odd pieces of clothing are helpful.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan

wxwax screwed with this post 10-19-2009 at 06:40 PM
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #12587
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
Thanks for the link that doesn't work.
Google is yer friend my overtrusting fellow

M
Old 10-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #12588
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
I'm in love:

SE Stout 29er. for $399!

Sweet.
That is COOL!

Anyone ride a BMX Cruiser???? 24" or 26"

Am I nuts? One of my most beloved bikes was my 1994 Mongoose ExpertPro back in '94 (got stolen a couple years after I bought it); and I almost built up a BMX frame last year but decided that I wouldn't be happy with the bike; but maybe a cruiser?

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #12589
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
That is COOL!

Anyone ride a BMX Cruiser???? 24" or 26"

I almost built up a BMX frame last year but decided that I wouldn't be happy with the bike; but maybe a cruiser?
How's this?

I was able to play with the "giant BMX" idea a bit with some parts I had laying around. I love the look, and it's super comfortable, but I had a little more bike control with the stock riser bars. I'll keep playing with it and figure out what the final set up will be.

I own cruisers in 24" and 26" too, but both have been in pieces for years. This bike is inspiring me though, and I think I'll build them back up.

As for if you'd like a cruiser, I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for. They're fun to blast around on and make good dirt jumpers or trick bikes, but they're generally not very comfortable. This is why I'm so stoked with the new bike. It has many of the positive traits of a BMX bike, but will do some miles way more comfortably.
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #12590
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,476
Fedex was scheduled to drop my new bike off at the house today. Wife said all she did is drop the kids off at school, then stopped at the store for a few groceries. Wasn't gone more than a half hour. and missed them.

Tomorrow, sunny and 70. Rest of the week, shit. No way I'll have time to get it put together in time to get a ride in after work tomorrow.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #12591
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,344
That is really neat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
I own cruisers in 24" and 26" too, but both have been in pieces for years. This bike is inspiring me though, and I think I'll build them back up.

As for if you'd like a cruiser, I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for. They're fun to blast around on and make good dirt jumpers or trick bikes, but they're generally not very comfortable. This is why I'm so stoked with the new bike. It has many of the positive traits of a BMX bike, but will do some miles way more comfortably.
I realize it's not gonna be too comfy, I don't know how I did it but used to ride that old 20" wheeled 'goose 15miles to driver's ed when I was 16! I currently have 2 tank Mountain bikes that I can use for doing real "cycling" or the occasional dirt ride. I'd use the cruiser to bomb around the 'hood or maybe some urban commando stuff but primarily it'd be reliving the old days.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #12592
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
primarily it'd be reliving the old days.

Go hide your wallet and then look here:

http://www.sebikes.com/Retro.aspx

Must. Resist. rool
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #12593
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
deja vu, I think I just read this on MTBR.

I'm also window shopping for a 29er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
I'm in love:

SE Stout 29er.

Picked this up today. I've always wanted a bike that was like a big BMX bike but would let me get proper leg extension while sitting. The new generation of steel single speed 29ers built by companies with BMX backgrounds fit this bill nicely. Just a few rides and it's already one of my favorite bikes ever. all for $399!

Jut some disc brakes, a BMX bar and stem, and some cr-mo 3 piece cranks away from perfection.

Sweet.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #12594
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
We raced as a co-ed 4person team in the rocky hill ranch 24hr this weekend (Smithville, Tx). I started the race with a lemans start and a decent position into the woods. I was probably top 15/400 despite being out of shape. The first lap was mostly uneventful...some jockeying, some crashes (not me), but most realized that this was a 24hr race and just sat in.

Our team was pretty solid, we had the max of 2 pro/expert riders and the minimum of one female, and she was pretty fast. We sat in 1st and 2nd place for the first few hours.

Shortly after dark, our female rider wiped out and gashed her leg good enough to require 20+ stiches. She was out. Within the next hour, another teammate had a flu/strep relapse and went to bed for the night. He was also out.

We finished the race with a 2man rotation, which was brutal because we had burned some matches early, expecting the 3 hour breaks. We didn't finish last, but we weren't competitive in our class. Here is a short video...the music sucks, but youtube is a pita when it comes to copyright.

You can't mistake the 1000 yard stare at 4am. I ate 4 full meals on the way home sunday and slept most of monday. I can't wait until the next one.

yater screwed with this post 10-21-2009 at 06:51 PM
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #12595
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Have you considered a solo 24hr ride?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #12596
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700
Have you considered a solo 24hr ride?
24 solo is coming this winter.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #12597
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 950
Nicely done Yater.

I have only done running events of 24hrs but they sure are a blast. I hope to make it to the 24 Hours of Moab some day.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #12598
Meatwad
NimRod

Oddometer: 100
Torn

Hey all,

I've got my Marin dual suspension MTB for sale and want to get something better for commuting to work (paved bike path 75% of the way) and just general dicking around. I often need to carry extra clothes and outdoor equipment for my work (outdoor ed)

I seem to me that beside the weather, headwinds & twatwaffle drivers, the two things make commuting more of a hassle is having wear special clothes (padded shorts, clipless shoes, gloves etc.) and not being able to haul heavy/bulky crap sometimes.

So here's the two directions I'm thinking about going:

Buying a new (Specialized) Globe Live 2.
(modern alum. build of a classic Paris newsboy bike frame with a Nexus 8 speed hub)
http://www.globebikes.com/us/en/glob...sp?pid=10LIVE2

Or building up a 1983 Specialized Expedition touring bike (lugged steel frame) to a Rivendell/Kogswell clone. I'm thinking brooks leather saddle with springs, mustache bars with end shifters, plain pedals, wider tires, hammered alum fenders and big racks fore and aft. I hear the Specialized Expedition of that vintage are much sought after as a classic touring frame.

At the end of the day they will both be about $1,000

Ideas/Opinions?
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #12599
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
24 solo is coming this winter.
Good luck with that. Keep us posted.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #12600
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,429
Was at the Crocodile Trophy race on the weekend (www.crocodile-trophy.com) (I did it last years - great fun) Its kind of my local race, it starts in the town I live in and passes through another place where we have a weekender.

The leading bloke is Bart Brentjens. His chest is SO BIG its like he has an extra lung slapped on the front. He must train right on the limit all the time. A mate of mine (Isaac) who is in the secound place team and was on the lead pack was blown away when he came past after fixing a puncture, he then sat out on the front and drvoe the pace for a bit.

unfortunatly, another guy in the team (Josh) slashed a tire badly and so dropped a lot of time, at the end of stage 6 they were 18 minutes behind.

The race is very informal and all the riders eat together and camp together.

If anybody is interested in the race, I am probably going to do it again in 2011 and if you are thinking about it, dont hesitate to contact me.

thats all.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: