Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #12601
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
Shortly after dark, our female rider wiped out and gashed her leg good enough to require 20+ stiches. She was out. Within the next hour, another teammate had a flu/strep relapse and went to bed for the night. He was also out.
I did that race on a 4 man Vet Sport Team. I saw your female teammate sitting at the transition area with her leg wrapped up. That cut looked pretty nasty. Did she catch it on her chainring?

I did the Livestrong Challenge 90 mile road ride yesterday out in the Hill Country. It was a challenging course and there seemed to be a lot of carnage in the first 20 miles. It was a really good ride though. My legs are pretty much toasted after back to back weeks of racing and tons of hills.
brewer90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #12602
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 442
I finally got some photos of two of my bicycles

Satan's Little Helper is a single speed MTB (32/17), built up from an Avanti Atomic frame, and other stuff that was lying around
Here it is in its natural habitat - mountain biking during my lunch hour

The orange fur makes it go faster

The road bike is a 1970's (ish) L'Esprit 10 speed that has been given the single speed treatment, and daggy flame paint job.

The carrier and retro panniers are a recent addition, which makes it easier to transport beer home from the supermarket

I also have a geared mountain bike (Trek 6500), but it isn't as cool as the single speeds, so doesn't get a photo.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #12603
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,612
first ride, first chip

WTF, over? Took the brand new full carbon road bike out last night. Of course when I got home I put it back on the bike stand and started checking things over. Found three nicks in the stickers/clearcoat on the chain side of the rear triangle right where the crank goes past it. I sure as hell don't remember anything getting thrown up and catching in there. I did have some shifting issues that I need to adjust on the front derailleur that I need to tweak a bit. With just one click of the shifter, it sometimes won't upshift, and it got hung up between sprockets once, but I don't see how that could have caused it.
I know it's not that big of a deal, it didn't hurt the carbon, just chipped the clearcoat and I'll patch it up with some fingernail polish tonight, but I don't see any nicks or dings in my alu bike I've been riding the last two years. The wife's gonna be pissed if I start shopping for a titanium bike already.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #12604
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer90
I did that race on a 4 man Vet Sport Team. I saw your female teammate sitting at the transition area with her leg wrapped up. That cut looked pretty nasty. Did she catch it on her chainring?

Yes. She got caught in the wrong gear somewhere on fat chuck's and tried to dab...but there was nothing to dab. She was pulling on a flask of whiskey on the way to the Bastrop hospital. Tough girl...
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #12605
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
Found three nicks in the stickers/clearcoat on the chain side of the rear triangle right where the crank goes past it.
Getting "caught between the sprockets" causes chain suck. It won't hurt anything, but it sucks to look at.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #12606
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
Getting "caught between the sprockets" causes chain suck. It won't hurt anything, but it sucks to look at.

Crap. I looked at it when I got home and didn't see how it would be possible for the chain to slap it. Oh well. A little bit of fingernail polish, and if it wasn't for the nicks in the stickers, you would never see it.
I looked at it when I got home and the issue was the cable wasn't tight enough and it wasn't hitting the H stop. Is it possible for it to stretch that much on the first ride (30ish miles) for it to get out of adjustment, or should I be pissed at the shop I paid to go over the setup on it before I rode it?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #12607
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
...The wife's gonna be pissed if I start shopping for a titanium bike already.
I feel the same way with my first carbon bike. Every scratch I worry if it will lead to a frame failure. Yes I love the ride but for my next frame I'm thinking Ti.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #12608
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,082
Quote:
Is it possible for it to stretch that much on the first ride (30ish miles) for it to get out of adjustment, or should I be pissed at the shop I paid to go over the setup on it before I rode it?
Cables don't stretch, they're pre-stretched, no?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:37 AM   #12609
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Cables don't stretch, they're pre-stretched, no?
They are actually prone to stretching during the initial period of use, then they seem to settle in. That's been my experience.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #12610
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,098
Quote:
Crap. I looked at it when I got home and didn't see how it would be possible for the chain to slap it. Oh well. A little bit of fingernail polish, and if it wasn't for the nicks in the stickers, you would never see it.
I looked at it when I got home and the issue was the cable wasn't tight enough and it wasn't hitting the H stop. Is it possible for it to stretch that much on the first ride (30ish miles) for it to get out of adjustment, or should I be pissed at the shop I paid to go over the setup on it before I rode it?
Remember that the shop adjusts everythin out on a work stand. It's much more likely to go out of adjustment with the repetition and additional stresses of every day riding.

Clean your chain and lube it lightly with a very lightweight lube. All my new road bikes needed this and performed flawlessly afterward.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #12611
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
They are actually prone to stretching during the initial period of use, then they seem to settle in. That's been my experience.

Yup. Hopefully the set-up guy left enough adjustment in the barrel-adjusters so the cables can be tightened up on the fly.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #12612
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Always pull the crap out of your cables when setting them up. They need to be stretched. I just grab them with my hand (at the top tube) and yank down.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #12613
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,990
On Monday I finally passed 2k the mile mark since January 1st. The rest until the end of the year are gravy.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #12614
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Interesting. Last night I went to my second REI derailleur class, and both times the guy (25 years working on bikes) said that cables do not stretch, they come pre-stretched.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 10-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #12615
wxwax
Excited Member

Wow, a lot of you think cables stretch.

And yet I have a hard time believing a guy with his much experience could be wrong about something so basic.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: