Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #13006
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlou
Sorry to break up Ms.Liz's informative post-a-thon, but I have a question about peddles.

I have a 2008 Schwinn Fastback. Love the bike. Everything on it is stock, including some really dumpy LOOK style pedals. My left pedal spins freely but my right pedal seems notchy. I don't feel it when I pedal, but it wont return to the "ready to be clipped into/upside down" position my left pedal does. I have to manually position it with my foot before clipping in.

The bike has approximately 200-300 miles on it. I bought her last season.

The pedals are junk. I'm considering upgrading them... should I? Or can I lob some waterproof bearing grease in the pedal and hope for the best?

Thanks

Lou
Pedals can and will break and leave you stranded in the middle of the desert unless you're also lucky enough to find a pair meant for a bmx bike on the dusty back shelf of the only hardware store in 500 miles. Not that i'd know or anything. They seem like the most foolproof item on the bike untill you're trying like hell to only use one leg. I'd say if you're lucky enough to notice a warning sign of possible problems, go ahead and bite the relitiely snnall (though still sucky) bullet and get a new pair. On the plus side, new pedals!
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #13007
JeffPrice
Primitive CoDriver

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlou
some really dumpy LOOK style pedals. My left pedal spins freely but my right pedal seems notchy.
Thanks

Lou
Don't know anything specific about LOOK pedals - but I've been riding shimano and Richey clipless for years. Most better pedals can be rebuilt - I've done yearly or annual maintenance on mine forever and they keep turning. Count the bering; clear the gunk; regrease and tighten to smoothe.

After the low mileage you are noting it could just be a break in deal - open up the pedal and see where the spindle nut is and make an adjustment. LOOK may have info on the 'net for assemblies etc.

New pedals will often bring new cleats unless you stay in the same model [and sometimes year].

I did have one pedal that finally wore out the bearing race - it seized all at once and flipped my foot over as I was cranking away! Darned near went with it!

Good luck.

If you woke up this morning, it is because Jack Bauer spared your life.

get-primitive
JeffPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #13008
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,474
Yes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Ms Liz: THAT Andy Bishop?

M
Gummee, Hi!

As a matter of fact it is THAT Andy Bishop. Ummm ... would you like to hear more?

Enjoy,

Liz

MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #13009
MsLizVt
pfft ...

I love the bike ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
About a year ago. It's a magic carpet. I marvel at it every time I ride anything else.
Javarilla, Hi!

They are amazing bikes! Not that they are alone in doing this, but in the process of building a bike they spend the time picking the right size tubes to fit someone's style, size, weight, and ability. This is an educated guess, but it looks like they built your bike with the oversize tubing in all the right places.

Do you ever get to Boston? Actually, I should say, have you been to the IF Bikes 'factory'? It's literally just a few miles from the airport. If you ever get a chance, stop in, you'll love it. Oh and a case of micro brewed beer is always a great way to make an impression. (ask me how I know).

They are truly down to earth, hard working, people, who live the bicycle life fully.

Enjoy,

Liz
Old 12-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #13010
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt
Gummee, Hi!

As a matter of fact it is THAT Andy Bishop. Ummm ... would you like to hear more?

Enjoy,

Liz

[sarcasm]Gee, nah. Why would I wanna hear about *that* Andy Bishop?![/sarcasm]

M
Old 12-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #13011
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Kudos and just curious ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
I can knock out a century in the rolling hills of Alabama, on a road bike, in under five hours. Add a mountain bike, no drafting, gravel roads, and an extra 100 miles? You've got to be fucking kidding
Ken, Hi!

That's a rocking pace, 100 miles in five hours, 20mph! It's amazing what we can train our bodies to do, when we really set our minds to it. Honestly, you could probably do the 200, don't you think?

Oh, by the way, the Racer's Bible, I believe, only says no drafting of any non-competitors bicycles or cars. Not that drafting would mean that much, but still.

To those who've done these type of events, do you find that everyone gets so spread out riding at their own pace that there really isn't much opportunity to draft? It occurs to me that during the 24 Mtb races I've done it wasn't common to really be at the same pace consistently as anyone else. The same goes with the brevets. Usually my pace is different, even slightly than everyone else. We might ride together for a while, but there will be a hill or something that separates us, and that is that, back riding alone. Again, is that similar to other peoples experience?

Enjoy,

Liz
Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #13012
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,813

Foreground is my brothers mid 80s Atala and in the background is my 78-79 Benotto. Both conversions were built from "throwaway" frames at the last bike shop that I turned wrenches at. I built the Benotto mainly from scraps around the shop. Both bikes were rusted heaps before I spent the time restoring them.

One more of the Benotto. Not a great pic since its not the drive side .

Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #13013
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Umm ... I've been around ... for a while ...

Quote:
[sarcasm]Gee, nah. Why would I wanna hear about *that* Andy Bishop?![/sarcasm]

M

Gummee,

You made me laugh! That's a good thing!

Well for all the years of the Killington Stage Race I was somewhat involved in one capacity or another. Most years I would also be driving the pace car for the Pro pack. That was always fun.

One year at the race, probably around 1995, I was hanging with Fil Fina, an old friend, and his brother Bruce Fina (that name ring a bell anyone?). Bruce and Fil introduced me to the owner of the Saab Team, - who's name I'm trying hard to remember, he lived down near Plymouth Mass. It was the last race of the season. The Saab guy was asking Fil and Bruce if they wanted any of the team bikes that were for sale as soon as the last stage was over.

I squeaked and said I might be interested. He took a look at me, said "Andy's back up bike might fit you, he's the shortest on the team." After the last stage, over beers, Andy and I made the deal. I took home his backup bike that he swears to this day, had less than 200 miles on it. The bike was immaculate, steel DeRosa Primata, full Durace, Look carbon fork, white SAAB embroidered seat, and the name Andy Bishop painted on the top tube.

I've ridden that bike thousands of miles, through everything, including rain, slush, and snow, as well as the L.A.M.B. ride (have you heard of it?). The DeRosa is not as pristine as it was the day I got it, but it's still the same bike beautiful, classic, bicycle that handles incredibly. It's hanging prominently in my barn with a bunch of the other bikes.

Years later I was asked to be on the governors council for sport and fitness. At one meeting, a new member was proposed, Andy Bishop. At first I thought, "can't be". Then we reviewed his history. Certainly I gave him a good review, couple of months later he was on the board. We laughed about 'the old days'. He's been living in Vermont for a while now.

How's that for a start?

Enjoy,

Liz
Old 12-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #13014
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Gummee,

You made me laugh! That's a good thing!

Well for all the years of the Killington Stage Race I was somewhat involved in one capacity or another. Most years I would also be driving the pace car for the Pro pack. That was always fun.

One year at the race, probably around 1995, I was hanging with Fil Fina, an old friend, and his brother Bruce Fina (that name ring a bell anyone?). Bruce and Fil introduced me to the owner of the Saab Team, - who's name I'm trying hard to remember, he lived down near Plymouth Mass. It was the last race of the season. The Saab guy was asking Fil and Bruce if they wanted any of the team bikes that were for sale as soon as the last stage was over.

I squeaked and said I might be interested. He took a look at me, said "Andy's back up bike might fit you, he's the shortest on the team." After the last stage, over beers, Andy and I made the deal. I took home his backup bike that he swears to this day, had less than 200 miles on it. The bike was immaculate, steel DeRosa Primata, full Durace, Look carbon fork, white SAAB embroidered seat, and the name Andy Bishop painted on the top tube.

I've ridden that bike thousands of miles, through everything, including rain, slush, and snow, as well as the L.A.M.B. ride (have you heard of it?). The DeRosa is not as pristine as it was the day I got it, but it's still the same bike beautiful, classic, bicycle that handles incredibly. It's hanging prominently in my barn with a bunch of the other bikes.

Years later I was asked to be on the governors council for sport and fitness. At one meeting, a new member was proposed, Andy Bishop. At first I thought, "can't be". Then we reviewed his history. Certainly I gave him a good review, couple of months later he was on the board. We laughed about 'the old days'. He's been living in Vermont for a while now.

How's that for a start?

Enjoy,

Liz
Not bad. Not bad 'tall.

Oh, btw... what do you have in the way of dual pivot Shimano brakes layin around? I could use a set or two... Latest bike is built with a mishmash of no-name front and Campy somethingoranother rear.

So no shit... There I was... At VA Tech when Betsy King stopped in for some riding on afternoon.

Big hullaballoo about her bein there. Come ride with the wimmen's natl champion! Ohh ahhh! Turns out it was spring in VA which means VERY variable weather.

The day Betsy showed up, it had been rainy off and on all morning with temps in the low 50s. A fantastic day if yer in Belgium. Suck ass day in VA. By the time the afternoon ride rolled around, it'd sorta-kinda cleared up but the roads were still wet.

So we headed down Ellett Valley Rd towards one or another of the loops out thataway. IIRC we ended up on the short but REALLY hilly ride that comes back into the back side of Christiansburg.

Ole Betsy went SCREAMING down this road she'd never been on with the 3 of us chasing.

Amazing what pros can do.

Betsy didn't have the best reputation... Seems someone would yell 'car up!' and then when everyone's shuffling, she'd attack. Etc. I haven't personally seen any of that, so take it with a grain of salt.

M
Old 12-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #13015
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Cool stories ...

Quote:
Not bad. Not bad 'tall.

Oh, btw... what do you have in the way of dual pivot Shimano brakes layin around? I could use a set or two... Latest bike is built with a mishmash of no-name front and Campy somethingoranother rear.

So no shit... There I was... At VA Tech when Betsy King stopped in for some riding on afternoon.

Big hullaballoo about her bein there. Come ride with the wimmen's natl champion! Ohh ahhh! Turns out it was spring in VA which means VERY variable weather.

The day Betsy showed up, it had been rainy off and on all morning with temps in the low 50s. A fantastic day if yer in Belgium. Suck ass day in VA. By the time the afternoon ride rolled around, it'd sorta-kinda cleared up but the roads were still wet.

So we headed down Ellett Valley Rd towards one or another of the loops out thataway. IIRC we ended up on the short but REALLY hilly ride that comes back into the back side of Christiansburg.

Ole Betsy went SCREAMING down this road she'd never been on with the 3 of us chasing.

Amazing what pros can do.

Betsy didn't have the best reputation... Seems someone would yell 'car up!' and then when everyone's shuffling, she'd attack. Etc. I haven't personally seen any of that, so take it with a grain of salt.

M
Gummee, Hi!

That's a great story! Where is she now, do you think?

I don't think I have a set of shimano dual pivots that aren't on a bike. I can ask around though.

Enjoy,

Liz
Old 12-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #13016
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Gummee, Hi!

That's a great story! Where is she now, do you think?

I don't think I have a set of shimano dual pivots that aren't on a bike. I can ask around though.

Enjoy,

Liz
Haven't the foggiest. Evidently, she was from Conn. You may've run across her at some point.

Did I tell y'all about the time the Tour du Pont came thru the 'Burg? Did I tell y'all that I ended up interviewed by a buddy workin for the Roanoke Times and my quotes ended up on the front page?

M
Old 12-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #13017
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:

WOW! Both of your events are AMAZING! I read through the Race Bible for the Dirty Kanza, more WOW! Good luck to you both at each event! I might have missed your mentioning it, but are these the types of events you each normally do?
Nope, I just found out about gravel road racing, but it's the kind of riding I've been doing for fun (and usually by myself) ever since I got my cyclocross bike. Looking forward to riding with more like minded idiots in a competitive event.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #13018
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
for the love of doG, please, please please DO NOT post pics!

M

At least my dad has some taste.

And check out that christmastime beer gut action.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #13019
sideshow
debaser

Oddometer: 2,777
Finally getting around to posting up the shot of my friend using his Pugs for hunting duty. This is Tweeek -- an inmate here who may have spent more time on a bicycle last year. He built up this Surly. I call it "a summer's pay working at a bike shop."

And James, had he not skipped town to ski-bum Colorado, he'd be on his way up to Bohemia and there's little doubt in my mind that he wouldn't take the bike with. Sometime this winter it may happen and I'm sure you could get a ride on it if you wanted a chance on it. Goes through the snow, and street, and trails so nicely. Fricking light, too, considering those meats on it.

sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #13020
Askel
Perma-n00b

Sweet.

While out bombing around on two tracks and gravel roads in the fall, I see a lot of partridge- so much so that I've considered dragging a shotgun with me now and again.

Might reduce the number of dudes in pickup trucks commenting on my perceived sexual orientation somewhat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: