Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 296 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #13051
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlou
You guys familar with Crank Brothers? I keep hearing GREAT things about them. I can't figure out if their cleat is compatible with my current shoe:

Sette Electron
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/177...Blue/White.htm
The shoe appears to be SPD-compatible, so it should work.

Quote:

These are the crank brothers I am considering:

Crank Brothers Egg Beater SL Pedals http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/123...-SL-Pedals.htm

or

Crank Brothers Egg Beater C Pedals http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/149...r-C-Pedals.htm

Any insight?
Crank Brothers Pedals seem to be a love-them or hate-them type deal. I've heard a fair number of complaints about their durability, saying that the tiny bearings just don't hold up. Personally I'm in the love them camp -- I like the light weight, simple construction, and good mud clearance. Mine have never failed on me, but I'm pretty light, not a racer, and spread my riding over 3 different pairs of pedals, so I'm probably not as hard on them as a lot of folks.

As far as SL vs C: Do you expect to ride in the wet with any frequency? Get the SLs. My Eggbeater Cs are a bit rusty after occasional muddy or snowy rides, but my SLs are fine after similar treatment.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #13052
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,185
You guys both mentioned MTB... I'm looking for a road pedal. Is the Crank Brothers overkill for the road?

Lou

[2009 KTM 250 XCW(e)]

[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #13053
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
You guys both mentioned MTB... I'm looking for a road pedal. Is the Crank Brothers overkill for the road?

Lou
Now I love Crank Bros on my MTB but hate them on my road bike. I like either LOOK or Shimano on the road.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #13054
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
I've posted a few pictures of my recumbent in the past..
Wife and I are planning to ride our recumbents on the Great Allegheny Passage from Pittsbourgh, PA to Wash. DC later this year.

Recumbent riding for the masses isn't about speed or winning races, but more for comfort and getting places without the regular aches and pains in the butt, lower back or neck.
For long distance touring or self supported touring, recumbents are ideal. I have no doubt a capable recumbent rider would/could dominate a race like RAAM or most long distance events over a road bike rider with similar physical condition and training.

As a commuter, recumbents could be effective, but difficult to transport if you have to use public transport along the way, also difficult to store once you reach your destination.

I've done the Pgh to DC trip twice.... Take your time, enjoy the sights.. it's a FANTASTIC ride!!

Harpers Ferry is worth a few hours of your time...

RW
Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #13055
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber
Now I love Crank Bros on my MTB but hate them on my road bike. I like either LOOK or Shimano on the road.
Am I the only Speedplay fan??

I love the float and they're nice and light for those who care about such things.

RW
Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #13056
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
Am I the only Speedplay fan??

I love the float and they're nice and light for those who care about such things.

RW

nope, i love the speedplays for the road
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #13057
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
I use Crank Bros on my road bike because I wanted to be able to use the same pair of shoes on any of my bikes. If I had dedicated road shoes like yours, I'd probably go for a more road-oriented pedal system.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #13058
Jelly
Super Dork

Oddometer: 210
Workhorse anyone?

I isn't in the market, but ebikestop has Big Dummys complete for $1600 & framesets for $600. Shipping for me was under $60 bucks. Thats a smoking deal for any of you kids here. I just committed to a Burley Flatbed, so no Xtracycle for me.

http://www.ebikestop.com/bikes_mount...s%29%29315.php#
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #13059
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
I use Crank Bros on my road bike because I wanted to be able to use the same pair of shoes on any of my bikes. If I had dedicated road shoes like yours, I'd probably go for a more road-oriented pedal system.
That is probably key. I had the CB on my road bike but they were very hard to clip in with no recess on the sole of road shoes vs. MTB shoes.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #13060
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
Quote:
You guys familar with Crank Brothers? I keep hearing GREAT things about them. I can't figure out if their cleat is compatible with my current shoe:

Sette Electron http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/177...Blue/White.htm

These are the crank brothers I am considering:

Crank Brothers Egg Beater SL Pedals http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/123...-SL-Pedals.htm

or

Crank Brothers Egg Beater C Pedals http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/149...r-C-Pedals.htm

Any insight?

Thanks

Lou
The blurb at the bottom sez SPD compatible, but its a road shoe so its not gonna be as good at runnin em as a mtn shoe.

If yer not racing, the nicer mtn shoes don't give up too much weight to the road stuff. Cheep mtn shoes are tanks tho.

HTH

M
Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #13061
mctaggert
Full Retard

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly
I isn't in the market, but ebikestop has Big Dummys complete for $1600 & framesets for $600. Shipping for me was under $60 bucks. Thats a smoking deal for any of you kids here. I just committed to a Burley Flatbed, so no Xtracycle for me.

Thanks for the tip. That is an incredible deal.
mctaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #13062
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly

That is a good deal - and many on-line retailers will match it if you ask.

It appears that even your local shops will be happy to work with you if you walk with with the deal and your credit card ready to make a deal. If they're already a customer of QBP, it's easy for them to order the bike even if they don't normally stock it. Sure, you'll pay for the local tax but save on the shipping. All things considered, I'd prefer to work with the local shop - which isn't always possbile.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #13063
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
nope, i love the speedplays for the road
Best road pedal in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #13064
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,102
Alright, 200K this saturday. Woop WOop.
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #13065
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,555
Just trying to be helpful ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650
Alright, 200K this saturday. Woop WOop.

KiLeR, et al, Hi!

Ok, so another thought or two. Eat, eat as much as you can. Drink more than you can. Yeah you've heard that a thousand times before, but it's really important now.

A power bar or GU or banana is good, but eat more. If this is a brevet you're doing they will have food at the check stops. Take advantage of it. Put more food in your pockets. You've probably read a lot about long distance riding where they give rules of thumb about how many miles per water bottle, how much food per mile, etc etc. That's all good advice.

Pacing yourself certainly is important. If you're starting off with a group of people you'll find there is so much nervous energy that the starting pace will be upwards of 20-25mph. If you have that sort of fitness, then go with it. Within twenty miles everyone will start to space out.
Keep in mind someone doing a 200km is not a slouch rider. They may be able to ride fast at the beginning, but over the whole ride their comfortable paces will prevail.

Most likely your 200km is not starting in the dark. Most of the longer brevets start way before dawn. Imagine forty+ riders pacelining pretty good speeds, lights and all, through small town after small town, dark road after dark road, at four in the morning. It's pretty exciting, freaky too.

Do your legs cramp up at all? A couple of quick fixes to get the potassium back in your system are Tums and/or tomato juice. I'm not a tomato fan so I would do V8 juice, same but different. Eat the whole roll of tums, wash it down, but you'll feel relief very quickly with either of the two fixes. Bananas are good too as prevention, but I find not as fast to get rid of the cramps once you have them. If you are going to cramp the first of them will probably hit you around 80-100 miles into the ride.

Please know, I'm not the expert. Again, so many people here know so much more. These are just my own thoughts, observations, and suggestions. Speaking of which, what are your thoughts? How are you prepared? What are you carrying with you? What are your goals for this? How are you feeling? Am I asking too many questions?

Enjoy,

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: