User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #13081
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,440
I`am a total Bike geek, I have to many well not really, but I would not ride a recumbent to scary. I`am not a pussy but those things look like they would hurt me, how the hell do you corner like I do on a regular bike, I need to put my knee out there
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #13082
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktower
I`am a total Bike geek, I have to many well not really, but I would not ride a recumbent to scary. I`am not a pussy but those things look like they would hurt me, how the hell do you corner like I do on a regular bike, I need to put my knee out there
As a bike geek, you should know that lower center of gravity would allow more stable cornering at speed or during lean.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #13083
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber
Is that a pace line or a circle jerk?
Looks like a buncha ol' fat guys out taking the tri-bi-boy for a ride.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #13084
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
sweet

Friend just had his Soma Saga frame and fork show at the local LBS. Really looks much better in person than on the web. Sorry didn't get any pictures. Will after the build is complete though. Nice frame and fork for the money at first glance.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #13085
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
As a bike geek, you should know that lower center of gravity would allow more stable cornering at speed or during lean.

I've ridden a few recumbs and to be honest, even though I know the COG is lower (as is your butt), there's also the leg weight being much higher than usual. I think we have a lot of weight in our legs, and when I'm high speed cornering I sometimes dig/push my pedals (like I do my pegs on a moto) for shifting my COG into a turn. Sort of sliding out my down pedal and pushing (side of bike outside of the corner/turn).

If that were the case (recumbs being better handling in turns), race bikes (motorcycles) would be recumbents like Dan Gurney's Alligator so that they could corner faster, am I right?
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice

Zodiac screwed with this post 01-07-2010 at 09:03 AM
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #13086
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I've ridden a few recumbs and to be honest, even though I know the COG is lower (as is your butt), there's also the leg weight being much higher than usual. I think we have a lot of weight in our legs, and when I'm high speed cornering I sometimes dig/push my pedals (like I do my pegs on a moto) for shifting my COG into a turn. Sort of sliding out my down pedal and pushing (side of bike outside of the corner/turn).
I think the head/torso/upperbody weight that is static and higher off the pavement would determine/effect the location of the CoG more so than the legs. Racing bicycle and moto alike, you croutch down towards the handlebar to lower the CoG during cornering.

Quote:
If that were the case (recumbs being better handling in turns), race bikes (motorcycles) would be recumbents like Dan Gurney's Alligator so that they could corner faster, am I right?
Unless moto company spend as much R&D into recumbent moto to be come competivie, it's not likely that people are going to find out the real deal.. unless someone like Rossi spend as much time on one of these vs his GP bike:

Cat0020 screwed with this post 01-07-2010 at 09:31 AM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #13087
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
lower COG on 2 wheels makes it HARDER to turn.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #13088
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
I think the head/torso/upperbody weight that is static and higher off the pavement would determine/effect the location of the CoG more so than the legs. Racing bicycle and moto alike, you croutch down towards the handlebar to lower the CoG during cornering.

Unless moto company spend as much R&D into recumbent moto to be come competivie, it's not likely that people are going to find out the real deal.. unless someone like Rossi spend as much time on one of these vs his GP bike:

But like a sailboat with a keel, the longer, or further away the top weight is from the pivot point maybe the better. It's a strange sensation but on some of my motos with tob boxes loaded I can actually feel the counterweight when I'm in the twisties. Like a flywheel with momentum it seems to make the bike toss into a lean or at least stay in the lean easier. I agree the COG is static and more effective in the upper torso weight on most riders. I think I'm talking more about "flickability"

The pictured bathtub you posted is great, but with that wheelbase (alone) it's not anywhere near as flickable as a typical sportbike.

interesting topic though.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #13089
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,462
Hey Bimble...

Completing the Tour Divide earns you 15 extra points in the Almanzo Gravel Road Series.

http://raceforthecup.blogspot.com/20...t-this-is.html

http://tourdivide.org/

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #13090
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
maybe next year...

Old 01-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #13091
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Heading to Denver this weekend to begin the planning process on a fall journey to ride in the Pyrenees. The last time this cabal of cyclists got together resulted in a 5 day ride around Corsica.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #13092
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:

Uh....you also have to climb and accelerate during races. This argument is RIDICULOUS to anyone who has ridden both. Recumbents are for geezers with bad backs....period.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #13093
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
Uh....you also have to climb and accelerate during races. This argument is RIDICULOUS to anyone who has ridden both. Recumbents are for geezers with bad backs....period.
If you're on a flat track and going for the distance, a recumbent can't be beat esp. with the full fairing. But that's one bike/one rider going for distance.

Other than that, you're correct - would be feasible in the typical race. Can you imagine Lance Armstrong on one?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #13094
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
If you're on a flat track and going for the distance, a recumbent can't be beat esp. with the full fairing. But that's one bike/one rider going for distance.

Other than that, you're correct - would be feasible in the typical race. Can you imagine Lance Armstrong on one?

I need a full lane around here when trying to climb on one of those things (think granny gear). Talk about sketchy....
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #13095
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
No, you are ridiculous, fact is: majority of bicycle riders do not race, more than likely never will race. And recumbents are for those who allow themselves to enjoy riding a bicycle without suffering unnecessary strain on their bodies.

Quote:
I need a full lane around here when trying to climb on one of those things (think granny gear). Talk about sketchy....
Looks to me like a personal problem if you can't climb smoothly.. being smooth takes practice, on any bike.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: