ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #13216
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Temperature rose above freezing for the first time this year, got my first outdoor ride on the road bike, 21.6 mi. 3200 ft. vertical gain.
I was just thinking about how I don't miss riding in the north east during the winter as I went for a 2 hr spin in shorts today. My tune will change in July though.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #13217
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700
I was just thinking about how I don't miss riding in the north east during the winter as I went for a 2 hr spin in shorts today. My tune will change in July though.
Ain't that the truth.

Sunday morning, I'll do my first little trip on the Fargo. We're having breakfast with my father at "the Farm at South Mountain"

That's literally north of us across South Mt Park so I'll take the bike with me and ride home. Here's a picture looking towards the south. The path traces the road from the entrance of the park. At the pass at the top, I can take the path from the road down to the parking lot. From there, it's 3 miles home for a total of about 8 miles shown, 13 or so overall.



Should be a first good ride.... my first in about 20 years.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #13218
raindog
dharma bum
 
raindog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Naples, Long Beach
Oddometer: 16,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
My wife and I were talking about bamboo bikes the other day, and I was wondering aloud why there weren't (to my knowledge) split bamboo bikes, like fly rods. Laminated bamboo could be engineered for flex just like carbon is. Anyway, she found this: laminated mahogany. Beautiful, but I don't even want to know the price. I read that they're in the 18 lb range for a full bike. . . .





that is beautiful.
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #13219
rajflyboy
Banned
 
rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 2,043
What happens to the bamboo bike when you hit the first hard bump??

Does it bust in half??
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #13220
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
Picked up my Fischer Outbound Crowns from EMS last night;



Let me know how it goes, looks like it'll fill a nice gap between my inbounds and my outtabounds. (gotta collect the whole set! )
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #13221
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Ain't that the truth.

Sunday morning, I'll do my first little trip on the Fargo. We're having breakfast with my father at "the Farm at South Mountain"

That's literally north of us across South Mt Park so I'll take the bike with me and ride home. Here's a picture looking towards the south. The path traces the road from the entrance of the park. At the pass at the top, I can take the path from the road down to the parking lot. From there, it's 3 miles home for a total of about 8 miles shown, 13 or so overall.

Should be a first good ride.... my first in about 20 years.
I like the Farm, it's a well kept secret. I commute on my bike around the mountain every day, it's one of my favorite places to ride on and around.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #13222
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"
 
RogueClimber's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
My wife and I were talking about bamboo bikes the other day, and I was wondering aloud why there weren't (to my knowledge) split bamboo bikes, like fly rods. Laminated bamboo could be engineered for flex just like carbon is.

http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboo.htm


__________________
"To the everlasting glory of the Infantry!"
Diligentia -- Vis -- Celeritas
Rob

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #13223
rajflyboy
Banned
 
rajflyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 2,043
All kidding aside >>>

How strong of a bike does bamboo make?? Is it as strong as steele or carbon??
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #13224
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy
All kidding aside >>>

How strong of a bike does bamboo make?? Is it as strong as steele or carbon??
the calfree bikes are supposed to be really strong. they said they woudln't make a mountain bike out of carbon fiber, it would crack, while bamboo holds up.

__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #13225
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
the calfree bikes are supposed to be really strong. they said they woudln't make a mountain bike out of carbon fiber, it would crack, while bamboo holds up.

Bamboo flexes quite nicely and is pretty strong I think. They use it as scaffolding in the far east AFAIK since it is so strong and flexes - not the only reason I'm sure....
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #13226
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer
 
LoJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: B.G., yo!
Oddometer: 1,500
Bamboo is a great material for bikes. If I remember correctly, Calfee is helping people in Africa make cargo bikes out of local materials (all except the epoxy for the wrapped joints I think) for crop transport, like coffee and such. There is also this:

http://www.renovobikes.com/

Who made that laminated mahogany bike?

Lojack
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #13227
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"
 
RogueClimber's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy
All kidding aside >>>

How strong of a bike does bamboo make?? Is it as strong as steele or carbon??
I took this off the link I posted above:

Bamboo Bike Features:

Amazing Vibration Damping - Even better than Carbon fiber!
High performance frame. Weighs from 4 to 6 pounds but has good stiffness.
Crash tolerant. Bamboo is a lot of tougher than most people realize.
10 year warranty
Looks cool! A work of art!


Although I have not ridden them I have checked them out at Interbike and they definitely look stout
__________________
"To the everlasting glory of the Infantry!"
Diligentia -- Vis -- Celeritas
Rob

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #13228
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack
Bamboo is a great material for bikes. If I remember correctly, Calfee is helping people in Africa make cargo bikes out of local materials (all except the epoxy for the wrapped joints I think) for crop transport, like coffee and such. There is also this:

http://www.renovobikes.com/

Who made that laminated mahogany bike?

Lojack
Look at this link, about that mahogany bike.

And yes, I know about the calfee bikes, they're beautiful. I'm wondering about frame tubes made more like this:


Edit: Those Renovo bikes are gorgeous- and they do make a laminated bamboo bike, a bit different than split bamboo, but similar.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #13229
PharmerKyle
navelgazer, sector7G
 
PharmerKyle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 5,187
Iron Horse Sachem

It's not Bamboo, but I'm 220lb. I've been on a Warrior but just jumped up a slight notch to this.

I spent most of this afternoon on it. I just got the break-in miles done and an initial tune. It's heavy and overkill, but it makes me ride.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The late Mitch Hedburg
"Bigfoot is blurry
That's the problem.
It's not the photographer's fault."

.
PharmerKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #13230
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,318
holy shit those Renovo's are sweet! How dfo I afford that and a new 525 Rally?
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014