User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 516 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #13396
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Well, I decided to get out and ride, today. It was a balmy 34 degrees and lightly snowing. With some additional apparel ideas, most everything was toasty. I decided to enjoy the solitude of the bike trail. On my ride, I'd quickly stop by my daughter's place to wish her a Happy Valentine's Day.

The city plowed out to the lake, but, not much further.

Looking over the railing.

Overlooking the lake. Total tranquility.

Getting out to where the drifting begins. I rode through some that were axle deep.

Peaceful little creek.

The farmer asks "where did all the topsoil go?". Not a treeline in sight. Sad.

Patiently waiting. There were two. The other flew off into the trees.

A happy bike.

I saw a group of 5 blue herons. When I stopped to take a picture, they all flew off. I was surprised to see them this time of year. They're regulars throughout the warmer months, though.

I rode a reasonable 16 miles and really enjoyed myself.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #13397
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
I figured a cross-bike.

I'd never heard of Gunnar. Nice looking stuff. Affordable, too. However, I'm not ready to commit to that level of pricing. I'd hate to buy one and not enjoy it as a primary bike. I'll have a more serious look around the LBS at their CX selection.

BTW, I've never ridden a steel bike. There's a customer that comes in who's been racing master's crits on Waterfords for like 13 years. I may take a spin on one of his to see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for the info.
I like steel. No matter how many AL, CF, etc bikes I have, there's always one bike that has round tubes. There really isn't anything like the way steel rides.

I've had Ti, CF, and AL bikes. Just like the AC thread: the whiz-bang bikes (multishaped AL/CF, compact frames, etc) are great for pushing the realm of 'what's a bike' and 'how's a bike ride' there's a soft spot in my heart for the bikes I started riding when I started riding.

I wanted a team replica, but... I couldn't afford Campag on my college student budget, so I settled on 600 for mine. Still rode really nicely tho.

My SL steel Battaglin (similar to this one) was softer-riding than the SLX counterpart I had at the same time. All day comfy, but a noodle when I was sprinting on it.

The SLX version was R/W/G.

M
Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #13398
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
Treks seem to be dissed quite a bit in this thread, but I've ridden them in various iterations since the early '80s at different times and have always found them to be quite satisfactory.
I don't have anything against Treks per se, but I've never found em to be anything more than satisfactory. No sizzle. No soul. No real reason to buy one. There're other bikes out there with more 'more' than Treks...

That's about it. Mid-level bike at high-end prices.

If you like em, great! Ride the wheels offen it. . Course, people say the same thing about Specialized (and I agree to a certain extent) but they always seem a little nicer and fit me a little better.

YMMV

M
Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #13399
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I don't have anything against Treks per se, but I've never found em to be anything more than satisfactory. No sizzle. No soul. No real reason to buy one. There're other bikes out there with more 'more' than Treks...

That's about it. Mid-level bike at high-end prices.

If you like em, great! Ride the wheels offen it. . Course, people say the same thing about Specialized (and I agree to a certain extent) but they always seem a little nicer and fit me a little better.

YMMV

M

This is why you like them more. End of story.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #13400
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
This is why you like them more. End of story.
Nah. They were always so-so bikes even before my time.

That they don't fit as well as others is just icing on the cake

M
Old 02-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #13401
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Nah. They were always so-so bikes even before my time.

That they don't fit as well as others is just icing on the cake

M
Jeez, what if you knew I rode a Gary Fisher, LeMonde, and a KHS....

Trek sure did a great job of marketing though! Too bad they are slowly selling out to the Big Box stores.....Bontrager in Scheels. FOR SHAME! Didn't they learn from Specialized mistake of the same exact thing? Keep your stuff at the LBS, or I won't buy it

unless it's on sale and I have a gift card....

FOR SHAME!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #13402
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Trek has the "aura" around my LBS. People buy them because of the "Lance Effect". So many of the owners just know they bought a Trek and Lance rides one. They don't know anything else about the bike. The local Trek shop prays on these people. They're selling them 2-4 year old bikes, fresh out of the box. They have little current inventory that one would be interested in. It's weird. There's a real "click" in the place. If you're not part of it, you don't feel comfortable. If you don't buy into their attitude, you know you're not welcome. Trek don't even make their own stuff (not that it's a huge deal). They're nothing special; just another offshore bike.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #13403
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Even the big doods in EUR aren't making their own CF frames. All made in either Taiwan or China.

So, why exactly is a Colnago CF frame $X over say a Pedalforce? I guess you could say the same about the old steel frames too... After all, steel's steel right?

Looks and Times I can mebbee see cause they make their own. The rest? see above

M
Old 02-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #13404
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Trek has the "aura" around my LBS. People buy them because of the "Lance Effect". So many of the owners just know they bought a Trek and Lance rides one. They don't know anything else about the bike. The local Trek shop prays on these people. They're selling them 2-4 year old bikes, fresh out of the box. They have little current inventory that one would be interested in. It's weird. There's a real "click" in the place. If you're not part of it, you don't feel comfortable. If you don't buy into their attitude, you know you're not welcome. Trek don't even make their own stuff (not that it's a huge deal). They're nothing special; just another offshore bike.
Lance is my hero. I'm going to buy a Trek at Mellow Johnny's next weekend!

Ok, so I'm going to be there....but I won't be buying a bike

There are now two "Trek Stores" in Omaha, along with several other bike shops that carry Trek. The Trek Store of Omaha has kinda that click feel to it as well. If you don't ride a 2000mi per year, or want to buy a new bike...they don't really seem to care. I don't shop there. I shop where they let me hang out at the service counter and show me their recent favorite email/youtube video while putting new parts on my bike, at a deep discount...because they are my friends. Best thing ever!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #13405
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
I shop where they let me hang out at the service counter and show me their recent favorite email/youtube video while putting new parts on my bike, at a deep discount...because they are my friends. Best thing ever!
Hell yeah!

My LBS has a keg on tap. Do their Sat or Sun AM ride, CX race, or TT (summer). Take a shower at the shop. Grab some Panera bagels (AM) or Donnie's organic pizza (PM). Hang out all around. BS with customers we know and with those we don't. It's just a good, cool place to be. I think people who walk in catch that vibe, too. I even got the shop owner to go to the Indy MotoGP and he doesn't even ride......yet.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #13406
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
ducnut

Nice Bike !!!!!
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #13407
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
That'd be perfect. IDK why I didn't notice the Cross Check before. I'd looked at the Long Haul Trucker, fairly recently. Looking at geometry between them, they're really close in most aspects, except chainstay length (1.4"), headtube height (1.2"), and BB drop (.5"). I think the tighter lengths of the 'Check will make it more fun to ride. I'll have to drive a 100mi to a shop, but, no problem.

Thanks!
Nah, most shops can and will order them for you. It doesn't have to be a Surly dealer just you local bike shop.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #13408
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
Nah, most shops can and will order them for you. It doesn't have to be a Surly dealer just you local bike shop.
yeah, but will they order one so you can just look at it ?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #13409
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy
ducnut

Nice Bike !!!!!
Thanks. It was the LBS owner's personal/demo bike. Ridden 7 times. I paid about 1/2 price. I really like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
I want to test ride them to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I want to feel the differences in geometry and frame material.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #13410
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
yeah, but will they order one so you can just look at it ?
If you can find that shop, let me know, I'd like to put in an application!

AFAIK, Surly doesn't have true dealers, they sell all their stuff through the Quality Bike Parts catalog. So in order to have them on the floor, a shop has to order the frame and a build kit, paid in full.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: