Was gravity invented yet?
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #13397
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd
I tend to move my feet around a bit much for normal road pedals, and I was originally steered toward the mountain SPD's because they were way easy to bail out of when the tension is set soft.
I don't like and won't use SPD's on my mountain bike at all.
The road pedal would probably help correct what is obviously poor feet positioning, but the only ones I've checked out made me feel like I was stuck in an old ski binding that wouldn't release.
There have to be some that let you move around a bit, and are easy to yank out of, but I'll probably end up with 2-sided newer SPD's.
I found that the old Looks weren't too bad to bail out of when required, maybe a degree or two moreso than the SPDs, but they could be tensioned loose or tighter as well. That said, I've not yet tried SPDs on my road-bike which is an '85-vintage grind-and-find with Looks. I am going to get a new road bike in the next month or two and am thinking I'll just run SPDs on it because I like the shoes I use on the XC bike and figure I'll just use them on the road machine as well, at least for now. I'm totally out-of-the-loop, however, where it comes to what is cool, in, what works best, what sucks, just post circa 1990 bike-tech in general, so have a bit of catching up to do. I'm looking forward to it. What's this 10 & 11 speed freewheel shit? My roady has a 6!!!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #13398
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
Was gravity invented yet?
No, that's why he's floating off the ground!!

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #13399
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
I found that the old Looks weren't too bad to bail out of when required, maybe a degree or two moreso than the SPDs, but they could be tensioned loose or tighter as well. That said, I've not yet tried SPDs on my road-bike which is an '85-vintage grind-and-find with Looks. I am going to get a new road bike in the next month or two and am thinking I'll just run SPDs on it because I like the shoes I use on the XC bike and figure I'll just use them on the road machine as well, at least for now. I'm totally out-of-the-loop, however, where it comes to what is cool, in, what works best, what sucks, just post circa 1990 bike-tech in general, so have a bit of catching up to do. I'm looking forward to it. What's this 10 & 11 speed freewheel shit? My roady has a 6!!!
Mine has a big chainring thing to keep my foot from hitting the little one I actually use.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #13400
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
What's the easiest clipless road pedal to move to from SPD's, user-friendly and easy to bail out of?
Speedplay

I switched from SPD and haven't looked back. Nice, light action with generous float.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #13401
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiles
Speedplay Zero

Cheeep on eBay

I like them. When Alfredo Binda toe straps started costing $50+++ a pair I decided to try these at the recommendation of some pro friends.
Pretty Flowers
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #13402
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
My compact cranks showed up today. Is this something I want to drink six beers before going down and swapping out?
Wow, that was easy. I should be set and ready to ride. Too bad they are calling for 6 inches of snow tomorrow to Saturday.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #13403
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Speedplay

I switched from SPD and haven't looked back. Nice, light action with generous float.
Picked up a set on sale just now at Performance.
They look like what I'm after, I'll mount them up tonight and see as soon as the rain clears.
I got the light action one, the additional amount of movement it allows seems perfect.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #13404
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
how many times you gonna post that pic you attention whore...?

How many's it gonna take?!

Johhny T was one of my 'heroes' in the cycling world. Him and Davis Phinney.

M
Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #13405
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
um, whats wrong with SPD road pedals?
Nothing iffen yer riding less than an hour.

Mebbee up to 90min.

Then ya (at least I) get hot spots under the cleats where there's lots of pressure. The nice thing about the big platform under yer feet with the Looks, Times, and Shimano pedals is well, its a big platform. I have my Crosshairs set up with Time ATACs. The Fetish has SPD-SLs. Guess which set of pedals I like to ride longer. On the mtn bike and cross bike, I ride M210 mtn shoes with a carbon sole and on the road I ride Sidi G5s with a nylon sole

If you can get in and out of SPDs you can get in and out of Look-style pedals (that includes the SPD-SLs)

I liked the Speedplays when I rode em. I bought SPD-SLs right before the 'fixed' Speedplays came out. By then, I'd already bought 2 more pair of shoes and cleats, so changing again was right out.

M
Old 02-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #13406
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Picked up a set on sale just now at Performance.
They look like what I'm after, I'll mount them up tonight and see as soon as the rain clears.
I got the light action one, the additional amount of movement it allows seems perfect.
Remember: tighten towards the front of the bike on both sides and loosen towards the back of the bike on both sides.

DAMHIK how hard it gets if you get the non-drive side wrong.

M
Old 02-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #13407
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Nothing iffen yer riding less than an hour.

Mebbee up to 90min.

Then ya (at least I) get hot spots under the cleats where there's lots of pressure. The nice thing about the big platform under yer feet with the Looks, Times, and Shimano pedals is well, its a big platform. I have my Crosshairs set up with Time ATACs. The Fetish has SPD-SLs. Guess which set of pedals I like to ride longer. On the mtn bike and cross bike, I ride M210 mtn shoes with a carbon sole and on the road I ride Sidi G5s with a nylon sole

If you can get in and out of SPDs you can get in and out of Look-style pedals (that includes the SPD-SLs)

I liked the Speedplays when I rode em. I bought SPD-SLs right before the 'fixed' Speedplays came out. By then, I'd already bought 2 more pair of shoes and cleats, so changing again was right out.

M
Good info, I'd not considered the relative size of the cleats, issues of pressure, etc. I've used SPDs for the last three years on my CX bike and have basically just ridden it for exercise. Most rides have been roughly an hour or maybe a little more, but I've done a few that were longer. I don't recall having an issue, but will pay more attention as I plan to do some longer rides this season, including a century in May. Thanks, that's the sort of stuff I'm interested in learning.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #13408
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Then ya (at least I) get hot spots under the cleats where there's lots of pressure. The nice thing about the big platform under yer feet with the Looks, Times, and Shimano pedals is well, its a big platform.
Just to provide a counterexample:

I had a lot of trouble with hotspots on long rides when using SPD or Crank Bros mountain pedals with cheapie soft-soled shoes.

I got some stiffer-soled Sidi MTB shoes but stuck with the small Crank Bros pedals, and haven't had hotspots or any other foot problems since, even on all-day rides.

Edit: Sidi, not Givi. Wrong Italian company.

Oznerol screwed with this post 02-05-2010 at 10:39 AM
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #13409
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
Just to provide a counterexample:

I had a lot of trouble with hotspots on long rides when using SPD or Crank Bros mountain pedals with cheapie soft-soled shoes.

I got some stiffer-soled Givi MTB shoes but stuck with the small Crank Bros pedals, and haven't had hotspots or any other foot problems since, even on all-day rides.
That is my experience as well. As soon as I went to a firmer-soled shoe, hot spots with SPD pedals went away. I suppose if I ever went headlong into road racing, I'd look for a proper road shoe, but for now this works well.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #13410
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,041
What is the best way to adjust new cleats? I just installed some SPD-SL shimano 105's and the cleats just don't feel right. I have the crank centered over the ball of my feet but I think I need to adjust the angle/direction/whatever of the cleat.

Any insight?

Lou

[2009 KTM 250 XCW(e)]

[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: