User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.37 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #121
Bert
Fair / Balanced

Oddometer: 55,947
If you want a smooth, vibration free ride, think carbon fiber.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #122
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
That's hot, no matter which way I go I'll opt for those style handlebars. That's why I was looking at TT bikes.

Functional and they look good, too.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #123
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
If you want a smooth, vibration free ride, think carbon fiber.
Tangent, but interesting IMHO:

One of the early Trek carbon bike designers designed my current chair. The front end (the footrest area and tubes there) are ti; the bottom of the chair is carbon fiber:

here's a little bit better shot of the frame detail around the axle so you can see the carbon frame:

So anyway, this thing is built in the late 90's when there was some crossover between carbon-ti bike technology and wheelchairs.

They (the manufacturers) only made type this box-frame chair out of carbon for a few years, then quit doing it. I wondered why, not even thinking about early experiments with carbon bikes. So, in my infinite wisdom, I'm thinking, hey, this chair is cheap, it (sort of) fits, and by golly as a bicyclist I know ALL ABOUT carbon-ti stuff and it'll ride GREAT.

Sure enough it rides great like you'd expect carbon-ti do ride BUT--the problems that the early carbon bikes had also plagued the wheelchairs--there were fatigue issues and issues with the joints. An active chair user is gonna bang this thing up and down curbs all day like a kid on a BMX bike.

Sure enough, two weeks ago, mine begins that creaking noise and starts to flex.

Gorgeous chair, though. But I know why they abandoned the technology for a while. I wish they'd revisit it using some of the time-trial bike tech I've seen for "everyday" (your daily workhorse) chairs--I believe some of the custom houses are doing it for high-end chairs.

The new chairs have gotten away from the box-frame and are now 'mono frame" or "canti-frame' chairs like the Quickie Ti.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #124
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomD
No question that Grant's outlook would be bad advice for anyone that wants to ride faster than 15mph. I think his point is that the mainstream market has largely ignored those who want reliablity and comfort and don't care about those last 2-4 mph. He also doesn't like teh look of modern bikes, but that of course is subjective.

Frankly, dropping 4 punds off a bike just isn't going to make me go faster and if I wanted to fold myself into a preztle, I'd take up yoga.
Fixified.

Re: positioning. Its roughly the same position, just rotated forward a bit. On second thought... based on where those damn bars are on the Rivendells, maybe a bit more aggressive than that...

M
Old 07-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #125
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Do yourself a favor and take it for an hour + ride before you buy.

M
I had a first-generation cannondale.

OMG that thing was a brutal boneshaker.

A few years back, as I was shopping for what would become the Marin, I tried a new Cannondale and was pleased to find they rode MUCH better.

Hey, anyone here ride a 49-50 cm bike?

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #126
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog

A few years back, as I was shopping for what would become the Marin, I tried a new Cannondale and was pleased to find they rode MUCH better.

I had an 87 Crit frame. Blueberry with white lettering. Blue 105 6-sp components.

GREAT bike for anything under about an hour's ride. Over that and things started to go south in a hurry.

I keep seeing those bikes coming up for sale on CL in about pristine shape. Wonder why?!

M
Old 07-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #127
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,638
Quote:

For us metric dummies, what size would that be (i.e. 18", 22" etc..?)

And a question = The tires on your chair, are they air, or solid?
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #128
Stakei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I'd like all you cycle nerds to help me out with advice on bike style, and brand. I hear they're all made in China now anyway, even Cannondale....

Thanks.[/quote]

For a bicycle company that still makes bikes in the USA, check out Burley www.burley.com

Made in Eugene Oregon.
Stakei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #129
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
For us metric dummies, what size would that be (i.e. 18", 22" etc..?)

And a question = The tires on your chair, are they air, or solid?
Um... crap...uhhh...I ride a 17" hardtail mtnbike...the Marin is a 17"...so probably that neighborhood. It would probably work out for a short-torso'd guy who's 5"4 and and under, not more than a 31" inseam. Or better still, a short female or young teen.

I've got a nice steel old-school Trek that I'm gonna turn loose cheap to an ADV'er who can use it or wants to give their kid or spouse a good start for cheap. I'm gonna pull it out of storage and have a look at it.

Not worth selling--rattle-can paint job, dent in the down tube, but EXCELLENT mojo and a nice steel ride. 105 components.

the tires on the chair are pneumo...26X1 bike tires.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #130
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,638
Quote:
Um... crap...uhhh...I ride a 17" hardtail mtnbike...the Marin is a 17"...so probably that neighborhood. It would probably work out for a short-torso'd guy who's 5"4 and and under, not more than a 31" inseam. Or better still, a short female or young teen.

I've got a nice steel old-school Trek that I'm gonna turn loose cheap to an ADV'er who can use it or wants to give their kid or spouse a good start for cheap. I'm gonna pull it out of storage and have a look at it.

Not worth selling--rattle-can paint job, dent in the down tube, but EXCELLENT mojo and a nice steel ride. 105 components.

When it comes to MTN bikes I think the smaller the better. My Klein's a 17" (or around that I think, and again I'm 5'8"). Bopping through the woods on a tall bike is asking for it (at least in the NE).

Those pneuma tires must be a hell of alot smoother than that bakerlite like stuff they used to use...

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #131
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

Shit! I ride a 17" bike! WTF are you doing riding one?!

M
Old 07-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #132
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
When it comes to MTN bikes I think the smaller the better. My Klein's a 17" (or around that I think, and again I'm 5'8"). Bopping through the woods on a tall bike is asking for it (at least in the NE).

Those pneuma tires must be a hell of alot smoother than that bakerlite like stuff they used to use...

I miss roots, rocks, mud, and leaves. Out here they don't got NONE of that!

M
Old 07-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #133
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Shit! I ride a 17" bike! WTF are you doing riding one?!

M
Okay, clarification: 16" woods bike, 17" hardtail for aroundtown use so I'm a little more stretched out.

I actually started out on a 14.5" Fuji Mt. Fuji limited and had a late growth spurt in my late 20's. Outgrew that sucker. Moved up to a 16 and that's worked for most brands.

Famous SWMBO quote when she picked out her FS bike and made an observation about the suspension: "Mmmmm...five inches in the front AND back!"

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #134
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:

The last mtn bike I got was my diamondback XSL, a 16". I test rode it and fell in love with it (4-bar rear end). Weird thing was I don't think I made a millimeter change anywhere on the stem, seat height, etc. Spooky--it was like it came from the factory set up perfectly. Weird.

Yeah, the solid tires really suck dead wombats. I've got those on an older chair and egad, that thing is heavy.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #135
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

PS - I dug around and found a pic of the old Trek.

Like I like. Yep.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: