EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Fail

Care to try again?!

M

Bastards foiled me again, gimmie a minute.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #13490
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,627
Time to start shopping for a bike. Cannot decide mtn bike, road bike, fitness type bike, too many choices.

What do you suggest for an old fat guy that used to ride.

$1500 is the budget. But less $$$$ would be better.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #13491
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Here

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #13492
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,162
Anybody here tour?

I've got a tri/TT bike that I consistently ride 40-60 miles at a time and a MTB for bumming and thrashing around town. I've been looking at a CX bike to fit between. I'd like something that I could potentially rack-up, but, I don't want a dedicated tour bike. I want something light and agile. One that could easily handle limestone bike trails. Some of the CX bikes have eyelets. I've done some reading on the ACA site. Of course, touring on anything other than a dedicated bike is taboo. However, I've seen where some have travelled on them. I know all this jazz about lower BB heights and longer chainstays and such. But, I don't want to buy too focussed of a bike based on a dream that never materializes. Therefore, a cross-bike seems the most reasonable. Any thoughts?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #13493
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Time to start shopping for a bike. Cannot decide mtn bike, road bike, fitness type bike, too many choices.

The Salsa Fargo appears to be a big hit with some of the posters here. I'll let the faithful sing it's virtues, but it strikes me as the pedal-driven equivilent of the GS. A real multipurpose machine.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #13494
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
After much deliberation, I put down a deposit on a new Norco yesterday. A CCX2 cross bike. It's not the Norco I really wanted (the Ceres), but it's the one I could afford and still fit my needs as a do-everything daily commuter. It will be my first ever bicycle with drop bars and skinny (relatively speaking) tires. I took a demo ride and was suprised how composed and comfy it was in the dirt and gravel. It's got a full set of braze-ons and eyelets so that I can ugly it up with fenders and a rack. Now to wait until the damned thing gets here....
Old 02-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #13495
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:

get a late model barely used 'comfort bike', which is a sorta mountainbike thats not really meant for hard core mountain riding, but rather for city riding. should be able to find a perfectly reasonable one for $200 or less... then start riding it. if you like it, THEN decide if you wanna ride more dirt or more street and get something suitable.

something like this generic example...
Old 02-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #13496
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:

What happened to that Specialized on the back of yer bike?

How serious are ya gonna be about it? GS rider or Katoom Nine-fiddy rider? More off- than on-road?

I'm gonna answer yer question an the one below it in two werds: Cyclocross bike. Check the Gunnars for a good all-round bike that you can race off-road AND light-duty tour on. I've gone further off-road than some DS mtn bikers. Yeah, I gotta do it slower and pick my lines, but it'll do it. AND I switch out to some D/A (road) cranks and I have a decent road bike too. You can find different sized rings for the compact cranks and go all the way to 54t on em, making changing crankarms irrelevent.

If ya useta ride, stay away from the fitness bikes. You'll get frustrated quickly.

If ya gotta budget, look at PBS, HTO, or if ya wanna support yer 'Local Bike Shop' there is actually a guy in C-pepper. I'd rather go to Warrenton to the Cycle Center where I useta work tho. Its right across the road from the Honda guys

M
Old 02-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #13497
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,627
That was my daughter's bike and I was just tuning it up for her and delivering it back to her.

Fitness bikes do not appeal to me. I know they make sense, but agree that my attention span would be about a week. I want a bike that does it all. Rides well on the street and capable off road if I want to go bomb the mtb trails on the western slope of Massanutten.

A mtb with a spare set of road tires mounted like I had before with good hydraulic discs may fit the bill.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #13498
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
A mtb with a spare set of road tires mounted like I had before with good hydraulic discs may fit the bill.
If you get one on the small end of the spectrum, it'll make a passable street bike too. (ie: add drop bars and 700c wheels/tires)

If yer planning on riding it on the roads a bunch, the flat bar gets old after a while. Its nice havin the drop bar's multiple hand positions.

M
Old 02-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #13499
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I'm gonna answer yer question an the one below it in two werds: Cyclocross bike. Check the Gunnars for a good all-round bike that you can race off-road AND light-duty tour on.
I figured a cross-bike.

I'd never heard of Gunnar. Nice looking stuff. Affordable, too. However, I'm not ready to commit to that level of pricing. I'd hate to buy one and not enjoy it as a primary bike. I'll have a more serious look around the LBS at their CX selection.

BTW, I've never ridden a steel bike. There's a customer that comes in who's been racing master's crits on Waterfords for like 13 years. I may take a spin on one of his to see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for the info.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #13500
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Anybody here tour?

I've got a tri/TT bike that I consistently ride 40-60 miles at a time and a MTB for bumming and thrashing around town. I've been looking at a CX bike to fit between. I'd like something that I could potentially rack-up, but, I don't want a dedicated tour bike. I want something light and agile. One that could easily handle limestone bike trails. Some of the CX bikes have eyelets. I've done some reading on the ACA site. Of course, touring on anything other than a dedicated bike is taboo. However, I've seen where some have travelled on them. I know all this jazz about lower BB heights and longer chainstays and such. But, I don't want to buy too focussed of a bike based on a dream that never materializes. Therefore, a cross-bike seems the most reasonable. Any thoughts?
Yea get a Surley it's got eyelets, it'll do well on trails,and such. It's pretty cheap price wise ,ok stuff, it would be a good choice to dip your foot in the touring pond. I use an old Mtn bike for touring works fine not fast ,but gets me there. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check_complete/
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 02-13-2010 at 08:06 PM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: