Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #13501
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 18,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
Yea get a Surley it's got eyelets, it'll do well on trails,and such. It's pretty cheap price wise ,ok stuff, it would be a good choice to dip your foot in the touring pond. I use an old Mtn bike for touring works fine not fast ,but gets me there. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check_complete/
I've enjoyed the versatility of my Cross Check, but I'm about to replace it with a Traveler's Check, which is otherwise a Cross Check but includes S & S couplings so that the frame can be broken in half for air travel. Also handy for lashing to the back of a motorcycle. It's a minimal amount of extra weight in exchange for a whole bunch of utility.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #13502
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
Yea get a Surley it's got eyelets, it'll do well on trails,and such. It's pretty cheap price wise ,ok stuff, it would be a good choice to dip your foot in the touring pond. I use an old Mtn bike for touring works fine not fast ,but gets me there. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check_complete/
That'd be perfect. IDK why I didn't notice the Cross Check before. I'd looked at the Long Haul Trucker, fairly recently. Looking at geometry between them, they're really close in most aspects, except chainstay length (1.4"), headtube height (1.2"), and BB drop (.5"). I think the tighter lengths of the 'Check will make it more fun to ride. I'll have to drive a 100mi to a shop, but, no problem.

Thanks!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:53 AM   #13503
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

In looking at the aforementioned Salsa Vaya geometry, it looks like it's pretty much right between the LHT and 'Check in the rear and a little shorter in the front. The headtube is about .5" taller than the LHT, though. So, that'll be another option to test ride. I've e-mailed the local (100+mi away) dealer about availability. The Salsa and Surly dealers aren't too far from one another, either.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #13504
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
In looking at the aforementioned Salsa Vaya geometry, it looks like it's pretty much right between the LHT and 'Check in the rear and a little shorter in the front. The headtube is about .5" taller than the LHT, though. So, that'll be another option to test ride. I've e-mailed the local (100+mi away) dealer about availability. The Salsa and Surly dealers aren't too far from one another, either.
I'm not sure the Vaya has hit the dealers yet - I know they're close. Found it - end of Feb. Link and a lot more info HERE.

If the nearest dealer won't work with you, find an independent dealer who orders from Quality Bicycle Products - many do. Salsa and Surly are two of QBP's brands. They might be willing to order in any Salsa product including the full bicycle.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #13505
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Time to start shopping for a bike. Cannot decide mtn bike, road bike, fitness type bike, too many choices.

What do you suggest for an old fat guy that used to ride.

$1500 is the budget. But less $$$$ would be better.
In 2007 I was an old fat guy that used to ride. I bought a Trek cyclocross, the X01, believe I got it for around $1200, and it was great. For reasons I'm not quite sure about, Treks seem to be dissed quite a bit in this thread, but I've ridden them in various iterations since the early '80s at different times and have always found them to be quite satisfactory.

Now, in 2010, I'm an even older but no longer fat guy who rides a lot. I still love the Trek cyclocross, consider that genre to be the most versatile, rugged, practical, fun type of bike on the market today.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #13506
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,542
Probably for the same reason that certain brands are always dissed here - Harley for example. Too many folks worry too much about others' business when they should focus more on their own.

Congrats on your accomplishments - that's great!

I just got back for a week in Argentina - now I have another 8 lbs to work off from my pre-holiday weight. No worries - I'll have it off in 2-3 weeks. For some reason, I can get down to 205-207 easily but below that is difficult.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #13507
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Probably for the same reason that certain brands are always dissed here - Harley for example. Too many folks worry too much about others' business when they should focus more on their own.

Congrats on your accomplishments - that's great!

I just got back for a week in Argentina - now I have another 8 lbs to work off from my pre-holiday weight. No worries - I'll have it off in 2-3 weeks. For some reason, I can get down to 205-207 easily but below that is difficult.
Thanks k7. Good luck to you on your fitness/weight-loss endeavors as well. I hear what you're saying about those "plateaus" that we seen to slam into at times. I tend to hit them around the holidays, for obvious reasons. I just try to make sure that they are just a plateau and not a new journey upward.....which is what they have turned into for me on more than one occasion in the past. Happy cycling!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #13508
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I decided to get out and ride, today. It was a balmy 34 degrees and lightly snowing. With some additional apparel ideas, most everything was toasty. I decided to enjoy the solitude of the bike trail. On my ride, I'd quickly stop by my daughter's place to wish her a Happy Valentine's Day.

The city plowed out to the lake, but, not much further.

Looking over the railing.

Overlooking the lake. Total tranquility.

Getting out to where the drifting begins. I rode through some that were axle deep.

Peaceful little creek.

The farmer asks "where did all the topsoil go?". Not a treeline in sight. Sad.

Patiently waiting. There were two. The other flew off into the trees.

A happy bike.

I saw a group of 5 blue herons. When I stopped to take a picture, they all flew off. I was surprised to see them this time of year. They're regulars throughout the warmer months, though.

I rode a reasonable 16 miles and really enjoyed myself.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #13509
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
I figured a cross-bike.

I'd never heard of Gunnar. Nice looking stuff. Affordable, too. However, I'm not ready to commit to that level of pricing. I'd hate to buy one and not enjoy it as a primary bike. I'll have a more serious look around the LBS at their CX selection.

BTW, I've never ridden a steel bike. There's a customer that comes in who's been racing master's crits on Waterfords for like 13 years. I may take a spin on one of his to see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for the info.
I like steel. No matter how many AL, CF, etc bikes I have, there's always one bike that has round tubes. There really isn't anything like the way steel rides.

I've had Ti, CF, and AL bikes. Just like the AC thread: the whiz-bang bikes (multishaped AL/CF, compact frames, etc) are great for pushing the realm of 'what's a bike' and 'how's a bike ride' there's a soft spot in my heart for the bikes I started riding when I started riding.

I wanted a team replica, but... I couldn't afford Campag on my college student budget, so I settled on 600 for mine. Still rode really nicely tho.

My SL steel Battaglin (similar to this one) was softer-riding than the SLX counterpart I had at the same time. All day comfy, but a noodle when I was sprinting on it.

The SLX version was R/W/G.

M
Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #13510
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
Treks seem to be dissed quite a bit in this thread, but I've ridden them in various iterations since the early '80s at different times and have always found them to be quite satisfactory.
I don't have anything against Treks per se, but I've never found em to be anything more than satisfactory. No sizzle. No soul. No real reason to buy one. There're other bikes out there with more 'more' than Treks...

That's about it. Mid-level bike at high-end prices.

If you like em, great! Ride the wheels offen it. . Course, people say the same thing about Specialized (and I agree to a certain extent) but they always seem a little nicer and fit me a little better.

YMMV

M
Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #13511
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I don't have anything against Treks per se, but I've never found em to be anything more than satisfactory. No sizzle. No soul. No real reason to buy one. There're other bikes out there with more 'more' than Treks...

That's about it. Mid-level bike at high-end prices.

If you like em, great! Ride the wheels offen it. . Course, people say the same thing about Specialized (and I agree to a certain extent) but they always seem a little nicer and fit me a little better.

YMMV

M

This is why you like them more. End of story.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #13512
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
This is why you like them more. End of story.
Nah. They were always so-so bikes even before my time.

That they don't fit as well as others is just icing on the cake

M
Old 02-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #13513
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Nah. They were always so-so bikes even before my time.

That they don't fit as well as others is just icing on the cake

M
Jeez, what if you knew I rode a Gary Fisher, LeMonde, and a KHS....

Trek sure did a great job of marketing though! Too bad they are slowly selling out to the Big Box stores.....Bontrager in Scheels. FOR SHAME! Didn't they learn from Specialized mistake of the same exact thing? Keep your stuff at the LBS, or I won't buy it

unless it's on sale and I have a gift card....

FOR SHAME!!!!!!

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #13514
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Trek has the "aura" around my LBS. People buy them because of the "Lance Effect". So many of the owners just know they bought a Trek and Lance rides one. They don't know anything else about the bike. The local Trek shop prays on these people. They're selling them 2-4 year old bikes, fresh out of the box. They have little current inventory that one would be interested in. It's weird. There's a real "click" in the place. If you're not part of it, you don't feel comfortable. If you don't buy into their attitude, you know you're not welcome. Trek don't even make their own stuff (not that it's a huge deal). They're nothing special; just another offshore bike.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #13515
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Even the big doods in EUR aren't making their own CF frames. All made in either Taiwan or China.

So, why exactly is a Colnago CF frame $X over say a Pedalforce? I guess you could say the same about the old steel frames too... After all, steel's steel right?

Looks and Times I can mebbee see cause they make their own. The rest? see above

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: