Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #13531
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
Here in the winterfest southeast, have not riden in 3 weeks .I'm thinking tomorrow.

No seriously pretty nice riding.

Feh. I wrote off January as it was below average for 21 days in a row. 32 is my cutoff point, and the few days we managed to hit that, it was either snowing/drizzling or so grey you thought it would any minute. Now feb. has come in and we have not seen 32 degrees yet this month either, and just to make it even more fun, we have had our yearly average of snowfall in the last ten days.
I'm just waiting for good news on that long range forecast. I'm tired of riding in the basement.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #13532
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,062
It's the global warming. The polar bears may not have ice but we sure do.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #13533
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
It's the global warming. The polar bears may not have ice but we sure do.
there's a drought on the big island of Hawaii. the California central coast here is still below season normal. we've had a few intense storms but not the sustained rain we get here. you gotta look at the global picture.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #13534
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
nice. SLO guy has 2 expensive bikes stolen. finds one for sale on the santa cruz craigslist (thats like 150 miles north of SLO), s'cruz PD sets up a sting and catches the fence

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_14406137
Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #13535
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Our seasons are definitely reversed.

Too bad no one wants to do a winter race series (that I'm aware of). They wanna do it same same as the rest of the country: summer. Too farging hot here in the summer to race outside at noon!

I get fat and lazy thru the summer, then trim down thru the winter again as I can go back outside before dark.

M
I did the six race winter cross series that hit Flag, Tempe, Mesa, & Gilbert. This last weekend was the Valley of the Sun Stage Race...TT on Friday in Buckeye, RR in Casa Grande, and a Crit around the state cap. The weather was great. There is a winter through spring Crit series in Tucson & Phx on tues evenings. So Cal Cross has a cool series too. The Tucson Bike classic is next month, followed by the Vuelta de Bisbee. There are a bunch of races on the Phx Tucson area in the winter spring.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #13536
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Ducnut's report prompted me to take my camera on my next ride and take a few photos.
I find ride reports motivating. We don't exactly have a RR sub-forum for bicycles. So, I figured "what the heck".

Nice area and ride. I'm definitely jealous.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #13537
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
there's a drought on the big island of Hawaii. the California central coast here is still below season normal. we've had a few intense storms but not the sustained rain we get here. you gotta look at the global picture.
The global picture is very cold.

Global warming is total bullshit to steal your money!!!

But hey.... some global warming sure would be nice right now for a good old bicycle ride!!
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #13538
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy

But hey.... some global warming sure would be nice right now for a good old bicycle ride!!

dude its a bicycle thread in the sports forum, lets keep our political opinions to ourselves ok?

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #13539
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy

Please shut the fucking politics up, thanks.

Try CSM next time.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #13540
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Please shut the fucking politics up, thanks.

Try CSM next time.

no kidding.

besides global warming is a fact and due to people using carbon, aluminum and titanium instead of steel framed road bikes. DUH!

ok seriously, it will cost too much to change my bianchi over to 105 from the awesome 10yo veloce 9 speed groupo that i have now.

so ill start saving for a nice new bike. id love to have an 853 frame and 105 components. i should have gotten shimano to begin with, but that was akin to sacrilege. the euro bottom bracket seems to have jumped the shark.

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #13541
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,202
Sumbitch, only about 75 miles on it!
Ran over a little piece of metal debris.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #13542
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,254
Ever get shocked by your bicycle?

30 years ago, I remember parking under the hi-voltage lines that come out of Plant Hatch - a nuclear power plant down in Baxley GA. If my bicycle was on top of the car, I could hold my keys close to the rack and draw a small arc when the plant was making power.

Yesterday, as I rode parallel to some power lines, I felt a mild shock on my left hand. I thought maybe a bee was stuck in my gloves but I realized I was touching part of the handlebar down near the front brake handle that isn't quite covered by tape.

I could easily repeat the effect by moving my hand close and then back away. Interesting. Maybe I'll dig out my Fluke, bicycle back to the same area and see if I can get a reading on the voltage.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #13543
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
30 years ago, I remember parking under the hi-voltage lines that come out of Plant Hatch - a nuclear power plant down in Baxley GA. If my bicycle was on top of the car, I could hold my keys close to the rack and draw a small arc when the plant was making power.

Yesterday, as I rode parallel to some power lines, I felt a mild shock on my left hand. I thought maybe a bee was stuck in my gloves but I realized I was touching part of the handlebar down near the front brake handle that isn't quite covered by tape.

I could easily repeat the effect by moving my hand close and then back away. Interesting. Maybe I'll dig out my Fluke, bicycle back to the same area and see if I can get a reading on the voltage.
Let us know what it shows. I'm curious. I ride under powerlines adjacent to a coal-fired plant all the time, but, have never been shocked. My Trinity is an Alliance (carbon/aluminum hybrid). I wonder why I don't get zapped. Hmmm.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #13544
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
Friend of mine up here won 1st place with this movie "Fat Bike" at the Boston Bike Film Festival this last Fall.

His name is Carl Battreall and here's an intro to the movie. Have fun, Mark H.
Got my DVD, yesterday. I really enjoyed it. It was interesting to see the origins of the fat bike. IDK that I could handle living there with the extremes.

What do you guy wear for gear? What the video shows is awfully lightweight looking. I need to gear up with different stuff, as layers of cycle clothing isn't quite getting it. I don't have a ski shop anywhere close, so I'll have to internet order if that's what you guys use.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #13545
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,425
I've found that a few lighter layers is mo bettah than a few big ones.

No matter what the synthetic folks say, I like Merino wool mo bettah than most of my synthetic base layers.

Lightweight LS base
Midweight insul layer
Mid- to Heavyweight jersey
Windbreaker jacket
(+ tights, etc)

Was all I needed down into the teens to 20s regardless of the windchill once I got warmed up. Iffen I was goin mtn biking, I'd need less.

I can't think that you'd need much more riding wherever else in the country 'cause well, riding = heat.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: