User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #13681
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,022
Don't get me wrong, I only went for the full meal fit deal because it was an option for me at the time, I like custom builds, and it was one stop shopping. The price of the fitting was taken off the price of a frame and I just looked at all there was to choose from and made my own decisions. The shop I was in had everything to choose from in frames, from steel to aluminum to titanium to carbon and combinations of any or all of the above. I chose the frame I did to satisfy my own desires and to try my first Ti frame.

I am not trying to push anyone into thinking they "need" this level of fit, bike etc, only that it is a nice way to go if you have the option and the inclination; plus it's fun. This bike will very likely be the only road bike I ever buy and it will never wear out, be outdated, or lose performance. Maybe a new fork for peace of mind thinking about realistic lifespan for it, but that's it.

I agree that the best bang for your buck is probably a used, well treated higher end bike, if that's your option and you find something you like-go for it! again and again and again
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #13682
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,444
No problem. I enjoyed the information. You can never have enough information.

Thanks

Joc
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #13683
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier
There are a couple of Serotta dealer in my area. Sounds like I should give them a call and set up an appointment for a fitting.
You may look into this fit system. I haven't seen a more precise way to do it. There are quite a few shops using this.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #13684
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
I figure it's like ski sizing. Given the wide variety of terrain and road surfaces I cover, my bike is set up wrong probably 74.6% of the time. As long as I get close, it'll work most of the time.
For mountain I agree. I spend so much time out of the saddle when off pavement that what constitutes a reasonable 'fit' is a pretty wide band.

For road I find fit pretty important, because I spend long periods locked into one of two or maybe 3 positions, so those positions better work.

I might also be more sensitive because my proportions are odd -- my inseam is a couple of inches longer than most guys my height, and as a result it's challenging to even get close with off-the-shelf road bike sizes. If I choose a frame size based on toptube length, then by the time I get the saddle in a position that's right for my legs and knees, it's far higher than the bars, and I end up with bizzaro stems to try to avoid killing my hands and back over long distances.

Probably the chief reason I love my my Roubaix is that its long-ass headtube and adjustable stem allowed me to get the bar into a reasonable position for long-distance riding without going to a 40-degree comfort bike stem.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #13685
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
For mountain I agree. I spend so much time out of the saddle when off pavement that what constitutes a reasonable 'fit' is a pretty wide band.

For road I find fit pretty important, because I spend long periods locked into one of two or maybe 3 positions, so those positions better work.

I might also be more sensitive because my proportions are odd -- my inseam is a couple of inches longer than most guys my height, and as a result it's challenging to even get close with off-the-shelf road bike sizes. If I choose a frame size based on toptube length, then by the time I get the saddle in a position that's right for my legs and knees, it's far higher than the bars, and I end up with bizzaro stems to try to avoid killing my hands and back over long distances.

Probably the chief reason I love my my Roubaix is that its long-ass headtube and adjustable stem allowed me to get the bar into a reasonable position for long-distance riding without going to a 40-degree comfort bike stem.
Old Colnagos are yer friend...

M
Old 03-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #13686
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,555
First ride of the year today!

Felt great, but I cut it a little short as it started to rain on me. 52 and rain is enough to get me to turn around.
I'm in better shape now than I was at the peak of the season last year and I could tell. I think I might have been fine leaving the standard cranks on, but I'll probably be thankful for the compact when I do my hilly route.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #13687
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

The last 4 days here have been spectacular. Sunny and clear, temperatures in the 50s.

I was gonna do a longer ride on Sunday, but discovered that I needed new cleats and new retention plates for them to screw into. By the time I got the old cleats off (had to drill out 3 of 4 bolts) went to the bike shop for the new parts, and got everything back together, it was too late to ride.

So I didn't manage to get out until today -- did a quick 25 miler on the road. In shorts. 5 more weeks until the trails open.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #13688
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
I will give it to ya! You are the big kahuna doing this type of riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
this is my second Intense, the Tracer VP-I built it up last year; I would ride a pink bike, but I really like this blue offering. We definitely have the terrain to enjoy 5 or 6 inches of travel too

this is a popular scenic route and the committed last shot is right on top of the 300' cliff in the center shot. Fortunately there's an alternate line that's not so sketchy

plenty of rocks everywhere

rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #13689
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,950
Quote:
Dude... the biggest one is maybe what- 300'? You should be able to kill that.

You don't follow that stupid "spin up hills" bullshit do you?

The cool thing about being a big dude who spends any amount of time doing powerlifting type stuff is you can really torque up the small hills like that. Big gear, big fuckin' wide handlebars and just stomp on it until the lactic acid kills you.

Works great for 90% of the hills I encounter in midwest mountain bike races. It's the *only* place I can pass people- and I usually have at least 50 lbs on most of them. Occasionally you hit that long grinder once in a while though and blow up in a most spectacular fashion- cresting the top in granny gear, crying like a little girl, but most of the time it works.
Our training ride on Saturday had an 8 mile climb. I actually kind of enjoyed it.

Chamois cream + spandex = buttered nut squash.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina

kbasa screwed with this post 03-09-2010 at 11:13 PM
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 AM   #13690
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
Chamois cream + spandex = buttered nut squash.

I usually sweat enough that my nuts are naturally lubricated.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:13 AM   #13691
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy
I will give it to ya! You are the big kahuna doing this type of riding!

We have some really excellent riding here, I've landed on my head once too often to I tend to back off the steep descents now.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #13692
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
The last 4 days here have been spectacular. Sunny and clear, temperatures in the 50s.
Did I say 4? Make that 5. Only had about an hour to ride today, so I went out and rode up and down the steepest reasonably-long hill I could find a few times.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #13693
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Deals are slowly starting to line up to thin the herd a bit and free up a slot or two in my bike collection.

I'm thinking hardtail 29er. Should have about a $750 to blow on this. I get good discounts (up to 30%) on Jamis, Kona, Scott, Norco, and Marin.

I'm sort of thinking Kona Kahuna: http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=kahuna

Although I do kind of like the Norco Jubei 3, except the wheels kind of suck: http://norco.com/bikes/mountain/29er/jubei-3/

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #13694
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Deals are slowly starting to line up to thin the herd a bit and free up a slot or two in my bike collection.

I'm thinking hardtail 29er. Should have about a $750 to blow on this. I get good discounts (up to 30%) on Jamis, Kona, Scott, Norco, and Marin.

I'm sort of thinking Kona Kahuna: http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=kahuna

Although I do kind of like the Norco Jubei 3, except the wheels kind of suck: http://norco.com/bikes/mountain/29er/jubei-3/

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
You asked. I don't see too much diff in the wheels (alex vs wtb rims - same hubs/spokes) Frames are 6061 vs 7005, which I'd throw to the Kona. I like the tube proportions on the Kona better too, but YMMV.

Otherwise its 3x9 shimano vs 3x8 sram ESP, and shimano hydro vs avid mech discs.

Might as well pick by color: black or white-ish?

OTOH, the Norco has Conti Vapor tires, which are tiny (narrow and 28" actual OD) vs the Kona with Maxxis Ignitors - which are really good tires. I'd still be running them if the Panaracer Rampage hadn't come along.

Good Luck.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #13695
skibum69
slave to gravity

It's sunny and 0ºC, I might actually ride my coffee bike downtown to see in my new helmet is in. Had 2 motos out yesterday to wash them and start getting them ready for riding season too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: