ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 504 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #14251
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 3,165
Hey, anyone have recommendations for road tires? I seem to be in charge of buying new ones for my wife. She needs something that is a good all-arounder, not prone to punctures, and long lasting (she rides 5,000 miles a year or so at this point), without being to slow.

I got her some Vittoria rubino pros last time, they've held up well and had no complaints, but I'm all ears if there's something else I should look at.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #14252
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Hey, anyone have recommendations for road tires? I seem to be in charge of buying new ones for my wife. She needs something that is a good all-arounder, not prone to punctures, and long lasting (she rides 5,000 miles a year or so at this point), without being to slow.

I got her some Vittoria rubino pros last time, they've held up well and had no complaints, but I'm all ears if there's something else I should look at.
if you have a serious thorn/glass/etc puncture problem, the specialized 'armadillo' tires are quite good... I'd suggest this one, comes in 23-25-28c sizes, http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9304&eid=5098
they are a little pricey, but they hold up well.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #14253
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 3,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
if you have a serious thorn/glass/etc puncture problem, the specialized 'armadillo' tires are quite good... I'd suggest this one, comes in 23-25-28c sizes, http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9304&eid=5098
they are a little pricey, but they hold up well.
Those aren't bad tires- they were on her bike a couple sets ago, and they're on my bike now- the sidewalls are giving out, though the tread has a bit of life left. I think she likes how the vittoria rides quite a bit better, so it may be another pair of those. . . .
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #14254
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
The Park tool has a removable magnet at the bottom and when you flush out the degreaser you can see all the metal and grit shavings stuck to the bottom.

I never have any grit afterwards. Like brand new, and ready for lube.
my older style cleaner just has a reservoir on the top for the fresh juice and a capture tank on the bottom for the dirty juice, you push a button on it to dribble the fresh juice onto the whirling brushes, but I don't think there's a magnet.

my chains were -really- dirty, 5 days of rain and deep mud and puddles left a ton of sand embedded in them. as I said, after 4 cleanings and wipings, they are all shiny on the outside, but if I flex them, or especially twist them back and forth, I can hear/feel the scritch-scritch of coarse grit between the plates and bushings.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #14255
Zoolion
Adventurer
 
Zoolion's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central CT
Oddometer: 60
chain cleaning

All those little chain cleaning devices with the brushes and very small amount of solvent are crap. The get the dirt off the outside and provide enough liquid to get it deeper into the chain but not out. Get a soda/water/gatorade whatever bottle of at least 1 quart. I use a big empty peanut butter jar because I can get my hand in there. Fill it half way with cleaner. Acetone works good, mineral spirits are ok, citrus degreaser is good. Take the chain off the bike, put it in the jug, cap it and shake it like a maniac for a few minutes. Fish out the old chain, lube it, slap it back on and go. No stupid devices, messy brushes slinging crap all over, etc.
If you let the jug sit for a day or two, the dirt settles to the bottom and you can pour off most of the solvent into another bottle and re-use it.
Use SRAM chains with the little snap link. You can make you chains last for ten thousand miles.
__________________
"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson
Zoolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #14256
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer
 
trailer Rails's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Those aren't bad tires- they were on her bike a couple sets ago, and they're on my bike now- the sidewalls are giving out, though the tread has a bit of life left. I think she likes how the vittoria rides quite a bit better, so it may be another pair of those. . . .
The regular armadillo tires ride like bricks. Get the armadillo elite tires. They have a very high thread count and are very supple.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #14257
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 6,292
A friend of mine rides 7,500 miles a year commuting and she swears by Schwable Marathon tires. She actually wore out her rims before a set of tires and never had a flat until the rim blew out on her. I was getting 2-3 flats a month with my CX tires put on a set of Marathons and haven't had a flat since.
They make a million different tires so not sure which is which but get the ones with the inserts if she wants flat-proof.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 AM   #14258
Cat0020
El cheapo
 
Cat0020's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NW of Philly, Hoboken, Brooklyn, Jamaica NY.
Oddometer: 5,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
A friend of mine rides 7,500 miles a year commuting and she swears by Schwable Marathon tires. She actually wore out her rims before a set of tires and never had a flat until the rim blew out on her. I was getting 2-3 flats a month with my CX tires put on a set of Marathons and haven't had a flat since.
They make a million different tires so not sure which is which but get the ones with the inserts if she wants flat-proof.
I wonder how much does she weigh?
__________________
Mankind is doomed & Physics do not lie
Chances favor the prepared mind.
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #14259
Bimble
In giro in moto
 
Bimble's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
my older style cleaner just has a reservoir on the top for the fresh juice and a capture tank on the bottom for the dirty juice, you push a button on it to dribble the fresh juice onto the whirling brushes, but I don't think there's a magnet.

my chains were -really- dirty, 5 days of rain and deep mud and puddles left a ton of sand embedded in them. as I said, after 4 cleanings and wipings, they are all shiny on the outside, but if I flex them, or especially twist them back and forth, I can hear/feel the scritch-scritch of coarse grit between the plates and bushings.
How wet does you cleaner get the chain?

I've used simple green for chain cleaning with good results especially with the Parks chain cleaner. The cleaner keeps the chain thoroughly flooded with the degreaser and flushes crud out very well.
__________________
Siamo tra qui e lė.
Bimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 AM   #14260
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
I use kerosene the clean my chain. Use a little on a rag and and wipe the outside of the chain until its clean. Then I let it dry and I use a wax based lubricant, which I wipe off the exterior of the chain. I do this weekly (when I'm riding) or every 3th ride or so when I'm not. This is for a road bike.

I have one of those cleaner devices, but I have been advised that they can clean too well. It was recommended to me to do less intense cleaning, but more frequently. Once again, this is road bike information. I don't do the cyclocross thing either...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #14261
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 6,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
I wonder how much does she weigh?
She's tiny, just 5'0" and no fat so I wouldn't be surprised if she was under a 100 pounds. But at the most 110, but I am not asking,
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #14262
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,820
Me? High pressure power washer when chains are that dirty. Get on down to the local car wash and use the soapy pressure washer on the chain when its in the middle of the cassette. Just make sure that you relube things really well when yer done.

AFA the tire recomendation. Depends on whatcha want. Bulletproof? Get something that has a kevlar bead under the tread. Especially since she don't weigh much. Ride nice? The Vredsteins that PBS has on sale.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #14263
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
A friend of mine rides 7,500 miles a year commuting and she swears by Schwable Marathon tires. She actually wore out her rims before a set of tires and never had a flat until the rim blew out on her. I was getting 2-3 flats a month with my CX tires put on a set of Marathons and haven't had a flat since.
They make a million different tires so not sure which is which but get the ones with the inserts if she wants flat-proof.
+1. I have a set of the Marathon Plus tires on my cross bike. I pulled a nasty looking piece of glass out of the front tire last week, no flats and no worries.
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #14264
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Hey, anyone have recommendations for road tires? I seem to be in charge of buying new ones for my wife. She needs something that is a good all-arounder, not prone to punctures, and long lasting (she rides 5,000 miles a year or so at this point), without being to slow.

I got her some Vittoria rubino pros last time, they've held up well and had no complaints, but I'm all ears if there's something else I should look at.
I've had a horrible time with Michelin Pro 3 and Specialized Mondo Pro. They slice like butter and pick up cinders like a magnet.

Quote:
A friend of mine rides 7,500 miles a year commuting and she swears by Schwable Marathon tires. She actually wore out her rims before a set of tires and never had a flat until the rim blew out on her. I was getting 2-3 flats a month with my CX tires put on a set of Marathons and haven't had a flat since.
They make a million different tires so not sure which is which but get the ones with the inserts if she wants flat-proof.
The HS368 is what the LD community seem to prefer. The HS382 is the latest-greatest that is being promoted to the LD folks. Schwalbe has a nice site with rider feedback posted on each tire and a nice chart showing each tire's characteristics in chart form.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #14265
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Me? High pressure power washer when chains are that dirty. Get on down to the local car wash and use the soapy pressure washer on the chain when its in the middle of the cassette. Just make sure that you relube things really well when yer done.

AFA the tire recomendation. Depends on whatcha want. Bulletproof? Get something that has a kevlar bead under the tread. Especially since she don't weigh much. Ride nice? The Vredsteins that PBS has on sale.

M
Had a buddy that did that. Be VERY CAREFUL doing this. He ended up getting water in his BB and hubs. Wasn't good. Had to repack everything. Even sealed bearings can be penetrated by HP water from a car wash sprayer. When you do this to sealed bearings, its new bearing time.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015