Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #14431
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
How long you been riding?
Since 1980.
Wasted a few too many years in college riding a lot and racing a little to no real affect.
Then got deep into work and commuting and more work and lost my spin.

I thought. Got it back a couple years ago and then last summer broke my ribs job moved locations and has done all sorts of badness to my working out.

That and now, I'm old sore and traveling for work. Bicycles don;t fit so good into that lifestyle. But, I'm not bitter.

OK, maybe a little.
The bean things don't give me heart burn and I've ridden the motorcycle for 1,000 miles with out eating anything other than five beans and a few liters of water.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #14432
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
well, that trek is old enough that it probably has a threaded freewheel, not a modern cassette, so he's pretty much stuck with 6 speed in the rear, I don't think you can get 7 or 8 speed freewheels, can you?? (goes and check's sheldonbrown's site...)... eat my words! http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7 you can.

I broke the hub down today, it had a cassette, with separate freewheel mech made of brass or some indestructible shit, that had to come off too- to expose a nice clean threaded hub.

It's not going to be a speeded bike anymore, it's going to be an ss for brooklyn lock up duty.

The bbs were in good shape, and larger- unlike the front hub.

The spokes where the cassette was are quite worn down though, so it may be an interesting ride once I get it on the road.

It's a little big for me, so it might be thrown to CL for a couple hundred bucks.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #14433
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
I broke the hub down today, it had a cassette, with separate freewheel mech made of brass or some indestructible shit, that had to come off too- to expose a nice clean threaded hub.

It's not going to be a speeded bike anymore, it's going to be an ss for brooklyn lock up duty.

The bbs were in good shape, and larger- unlike the front hub.

The spokes where the cassette was are quite worn down though, so it may be an interesting ride once I get it on the road.

It's a little big for me, so it might be thrown to CL for a couple hundred bucks.
Wish I lived near NY, I'd take it off your hands.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #14434
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Yeah, but use the koolade that requires sugar and use about 1/2 the stated amount. Unless you're going really high intensity or more than an hour water is really what you need.

Its been calm lately, but when the wind picks up, I like to ride against the wind on the outbound leg and return with the wind. I had a really bad experience years ago doing the opposite. It was 45 minutes out and about 2 hours back. 2 really ugly, leg cramping hours.
Noted!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #14435
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Wish I lived near NY, I'd take it off your hands.

I can't wait to post the before and after pics.

It's been a real bitch degreasing (more like de-gluing_ this old dog.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #14436
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:

How much for the handle bars?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #14437
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

I think whoever owned this prior found it inside the gut of a dead whale...

Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #14438
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
I think whoever owned this prior found it inside the gut of a dead whale...
Yeah, I want the next FREE bicycle I get to have been stored in some guys living room and to have been meticulously maintained by a bevy of naked female beauties. In fact, it would be nice if those naked chicks had recently upgraded the components to the top of the line campy stuff. And if the bike came with some of those same hotties, and they also could cook and clean my house as well and maintain my bikes (including the FREE one) and my motorcycle too. Hey, if someone sees somebody giving that setup away for FREE, please send me a pm...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #14439
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:

goo-be-gone. or really, any vegetable oil. if its really nasty, brush a solvent on, wrap it in saran wrap to keep the solvent from evaporating, and let it sit a few hours, then scrape, repeat.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #14440
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
pssst, I'll be glad to take any of the original Maeda Suntour parts off your hands that you'll be stripping off in your quest to turn it into a fixie
Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #14441
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
goo-be-gone. or really, any vegetable oil. if its really nasty, brush a solvent on, wrap it in saran wrap to keep the solvent from evaporating, and let it sit a few hours, then scrape, repeat.

This tar laughed at my Goof Off, so I resorted to citric degreaser with zero parts water....

Pickle jars shaken not stirred with many bbs, washers, and bolts has worked so far. The hubs were the worst, had to scrape out the races with an awl. Like tar.

I still haven't degreased the compos yet, not sure if I'll keep or sell em with the bike (I'm unemployed right now) - but if they don't go they're yours.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:06 AM   #14442
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
This tar laughed at my Goof Off, so I resorted to citric degreaser with zero parts water....

Pickle jars shaken not stirred with many bbs, washers, and bolts has worked so far. The hubs were the worst, had to scrape out the races with an awl. Like tar.

I still haven't degreased the compos yet, not sure if I'll keep or sell em with the bike (I'm unemployed right now) - but if they don't go they're yours.
If something needs degreasing I use a combo of Berrymans parts cleaner, B12 and brake-kleen.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #14443
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,908
Quote:
well, that trek is old enough that it probably has a threaded freewheel, not a modern cassette, so he's pretty much stuck with 6 speed in the rear, I don't think you can get 7 or 8 speed freewheels, can you?? (goes and check's sheldonbrown's site...)... eat my words! http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7 you can.
I have seen 9sp freewheels! I'll have to look up who makes them.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #14444
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
The Dirty Kanza

One racer's perspective:

http://www.gnatlikes.com/gnat-likes-...-race-day.html

Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #14445
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Yeah, but use the koolade that requires sugar and use about 1/2 the stated amount. Unless you're going really high intensity or more than an hour water is really what you need.

Its been calm lately, but when the wind picks up, I like to ride against the wind on the outbound leg and return with the wind. I had a really bad experience years ago doing the opposite. It was 45 minutes out and about 2 hours back. 2 really ugly, leg cramping hours.
I find that diluted Gatoraide (50/50 with water) works well, using anything full strength gives me the sensation of drinking Karo syrup on a hot day. Gak.

I too am a believer in eating dessert last. It's always windy around here, it seems, from one direction or another. I have a number of routes that I ride and will pick the route depending on what the wind is doing at a particular moment. I generally try to ride out against the wind and home with it, makes for a more fun ride and something to look forward to when I'm suffering on the outbound leg. Having said that, I have also found that, at least once I get into decent riding shape, I can actually ride a given course a little faster if I do just the opposite. I treat the outbound leg as an extended warm-up, and then try to hammer it home against the wind. But, like I said, I don't generally try to do that until later in the season and when I'm feeling pretty fit.

What really sucks is when you go out against the wind and then it changes and you end up having a head-wind both ways. Argh. Doesn't happen to me often, I've gotten fairly good at predicting what it'll do around here, but it does happen.....

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: