Old 06-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #14461
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez
My wife had some good points today.

To paraphrase:
"When have you ever not liked a toy you've bought?
"What's the last toy you sold?"
"How many time have you bought used and regretted it?"
"Go buy the new one because you know you'll use it"

She's got my cheap ass rethinking the idea.
Leftovers have been a good way for me to buy new and still save a decent chunk of money. Both my favorite mountain bikes I got at a significant markdown because they'd been sitting around the shop for a year or two.

Same thing with the Roubaix; I'd been looking around the sales floor checking out current-model-year bikes, and then my girlfriend comes and drags me down into the basement where they had various leftovers and shows me this sleek black 2008 Roubaix Comp Triple in my size...

Much as I love mine, if you're going to go new, I'd definitely encourage you to test-ride a few different brands and models before settling on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Actually, the aluminum bikes were call the Sequoia and Sequoia Elite. I bought an Elite in '07, as I couldn't afford the Roubaix, at the time.
I remember the Sequoia, but the base Roubaix was aluminum through 2008, as well:

http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...9&menuItemId=0

I saw a bunch of these when shopping last year.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #14462
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Those are surprisingly comfy bikes, but uphills are another story.
hahaha, I bet. you can't put any weight into that, so you'd have to rely on crawler-low gearing.

what she really needs is a frame with almost that basic geometry, except the BB moved back to where it shoudl be, at the end of the seat tube.

actually, I should try and yank the old bars off her current bike and see just how much of the deadweight is them. if its just the steel bars, then I could find a decent alloy gooseneck and bars for it that put her in a good riding position. its old school 1" threaded headset rather than a modern threadless, there should be plenty of options. the trick is figuring out what bars with what gooseneck give her the right reach without destabilizinng the steering. the old gen1 stumpie has a LOT of rake and trail, so its a darn stable bike, which makes it easier.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #14463
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,317
http://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

Can you spot the "weekend cyclist"?

Also, the commnets are interesting too.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #14464
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
Some friends of ours owns a high end bike botique a county over from me... I almost wish I -was- into expensive new bikes, they pretty much said we could get a new high end bike for cost from them. but I'm far more into funky and cheap and fix-it-myself, and even if I was gonna get something new, it would be more likely a surly or rock lobster as I said before.

this bike resonates with me, although I've neither seen nor ridden one yet. except I think I'd like it better if it only had the top top tube, and not the 2nd tube.

This bike goes perfect with Lycra clothing.

rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #14465
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Just so you know, don't expect a lot of gel padding from these shorts- they've got a fairly minimal pad, but it breathes well, and the fit and quality are top notch, IMHO. Their philosophy is that you can't make up for a bad saddle with more chamois.

But what it really comes down to is: their spokesman is Ned Overend. Awsomeness is assured.
No worries. I almost always go for my cheap, shop kit by Voller, with almost no chamois, over my expensive Pearl Pro bibs. A thick chamois just bunches and the wrinkles tear the shit out of my skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
I remember the Sequoia, but the base Roubaix was aluminum through 2008, as well:

http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/...9&menuItemId=0

I saw a bunch of these when shopping last year.
I've never ever seen one of those and don't know how I ever missed them on the site. Learned something new.

The LBS sells a ton of this style of bike. IDK why. I guess whatever it takes to get people out on a bike. Though, most will probably collect dust in the garage.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #14466
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
o

I'm sorta thinking a townie 8-speed would fit the bill, she'd probably like the riding position. its not like she rides more than a couple miles of flatlands at low speeds. but the pedal forward thing is too funky for me

rode one of those once and it was surprisingly comfortable, as a quick shopping town bike. Nice if you're in jeans since you're more reclined too, felt like a chopper.

would make a great beach/wknd bike with a couple baskets.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #14467
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
rode one of those once and it was surprisingly comfortable, as a quick shopping town bike. Nice if you're in jeans since you're more reclined too, felt like a chopper.

would make a great beach/wknd bike with a couple baskets.
My BIL had one of those OCC chopper bikes for years, but never rode it.

We borrowed it once and it was surprisingly comfortable and easy to ride. Even as a fixie hills were much easier than I thought.

This is my wife's bike.

I'm pretty sure it's made by the same company that make's the schwinn cruisers, but the fit and finish is lightyears ahead of schwinn.

It's a bit small for me, but even so it's still a pretty comfortable and surprisingly easy to pedal around on, though the pedals aren't forward like that cruiser.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #14468
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez
I'm still looking but I'm riding the M/C to look so there's no chance of an impulse buy. (I am however taking my ATM card so there is a chance that a deposit will be offered if the bike is "all that".
Don't let riding a M/C keep you from taking and riding your bike.

There are plenty of examples of this on the internet. I've only seen it in person once.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #14469
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Don't let riding a M/C keep you from taking and riding your bike.

There are plenty of examples of this on the internet. I've only seen it in person once.
Aww, I was gonna as if you tried popping a wheelie.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #14470
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
My BIL had one of those OCC chopper bikes for years, but never rode it.

We borrowed it once and it was surprisingly comfortable and easy to ride. Even as a fixie hills were much easier than I thought.

This is my wife's bike.

I'm pretty sure it's made by the same company that make's the schwinn cruisers, but the fit and finish is lightyears ahead of schwinn.

It's a bit small for me, but even so it's still a pretty comfortable and surprisingly easy to pedal around on, though the pedals aren't forward like that cruiser.

Are you sure it was a fixie, or was it a single speed?

(Fixie = wheel always moves pedals i.e. fixed no coasting)

(SS = freewheel hub, coasts)
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #14471
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Are you sure it was a fixie, or was it a single speed?

(Fixie = wheel always moves pedals i.e. fixed no coasting)

(SS = freewheel hub, coasts)
Oops, yes, SS.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #14472
catzass
Triple Pilot

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Oops, yes, SS.

does a twist of the wrist lock the hub? I don't see a brake lever but I see a cable. and the rear wheel has a lever attached to the frame similar to a coaster break wheel. I don't think I have seen this setup before.
catzass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #14473
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Cool Cool!

Just walked by an old apartment clean out, entire storage from either a basement or recluse being tossed into the street.

I spy a few bicycles walking the dogs but keep going, thinking they're not throwing those out (they were tucked away into the corner).

I loop around again and ask a guy coming out with more stuff, and he say's it's all free, garbage.

So I look a little closer and it's a vintage Trek from early 80's, maybe earlier(?), with suntour parts, french rims, all steel frame (renyolds) with a nice old brooks saddle! COVERED IN DUST, and fine oil but otherwise completely intact.

Pics to follow.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #14474
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,338
Quote:
Just walked by an old apartment clean out, entire storage from either a basement or recluse being tossed into the street.

I spy a few bicycles walking the dogs but keep going, thinking they're not throwing those out (they were tucked away into the corner).

I loop around again and ask a guy coming out with more stuff, and he say's it's all free, garbage.

So I look a little closer and it's a vintage Trek from early 80's, maybe earlier(?), with suntour parts, french rims, all steel frame (renyolds) with a nice old brooks saddle! COVERED IN DUST, and fine oil but otherwise completely intact.

Pics to follow.
SCORE! That vintage stuff is fun to fix up and have around. Not as cool as vintage MCs, but much cheaper to own and fix.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #14475
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzass
does a twist of the wrist lock the hub? I don't see a brake lever but I see a cable. and the rear wheel has a lever attached to the frame similar to a coaster break wheel. I don't think I have seen this setup before.
I don't know the terminology, but it has a 3 speed buried inside the rear hub and it's one of those where you pedal backwards to stop.

I dunno if it's a good or bad setup, but it's pretty slick lookin either way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: