Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #14461
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
WhaHAhat do you guys think has the biggest effect (or the biggest factors) in cruise speed?

When Im feeling good and in the zone I can maintain 13-15mph on a flat surface, but I never really get any higher than that without using my stamina inefficiently.
Body aerodynamics. This is why top riders test in the wind tunnel. If you look at the fastest TT guys, they run bar setups that would kill them over longer distances. They pinch their elbows in; minimizing their frontal width, but, doesn't allow full chest expansion for breathing. They run really low stack heights; minimizing body and head height, but, doesn't allow their diaphram to fully operate their lungs. However, their frontal area is minimalized to the max for the short distances they're running. My TT/tri bike was setup in this manner. For our 20K/40K course, that's OK. However, I like to ride further than that on other rides. So, I've changed everything to more of an endurance position. It's less aero, but, so what. I'm more comfortable.

Below is Fabian Cancellara, the world's fastest time trial rider. His position has his hands together, elbows pinched as much as practical, body position as low as possible, and everything working together to present the smallest frontal area to the wind. There are some other things going on here, but, you see the point.

ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #14462
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
Just finished my First Road Bike (sorta) build..

I think you're going to like this bike....

Don't let these guys stress you out about fit. It looks like the bars on your bike aren't much higher than the seat and that's pretty close to how I run mine- with almost the same amount of seatpost showing.

If it works, run with it. If it doesn't, it'll be obvious soon enough.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #14463
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
WhaHAhat do you guys think has the biggest effect (or the biggest factors) in cruise speed?

When Im feeling good and in the zone I can maintain 13-15mph on a flat surface, but I never really get any higher than that without using my stamina inefficiently.
ON the flat, smooth surface, wind resistance is the largest force you'll face. The faster you go, the higher the wind resistance is. This is why bike manufacturers go to such extremes as bladed spokes, aero bars, and specially shaped tubes on Tri or TT bikes.

Lance Armstrong at the 2009 Tour de Gruene TT. Only tri, track, and TT riders are overly concerned with the wind, cause when you ride with a group, the lead guys brake the wind for those that follow.

When you ride uphill, weight is the largest factor and the speeds drop so that wind becomes less important. This is one reason that while Cancellara is a GREAT time trialist, he's kind of big to be a great climber.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 06-09-2010 at 06:32 AM
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #14464
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
When you ride uphill, weight is the largest factor and the speeds drop so that wind becomes less important. This is one reason that while Cancellara is a GREAT time trialist, he's kind of big to be a great climber.
Kind of? "Spartacus" is huge at 6'1" and 180lbs. Whereas, Alberto Contador, arguably the world's greatest climber, comes in at 5'9" and 130lbs.

I find it incredible that Fabian is so fast, given his stature. Though, Alberto proved, at the '09 TdF TT, that lightweights can get it done, too. Good on him.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #14465
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
Kind of? "Spartacus" is huge at 6'1" and 180lbs. Whereas, Alberto Contador, arguably the world's greatest climber, comes in at 5'9" and 130lbs.

I find it incredible that Fabian is so fast, given his stature. Though, Alberto proved, at the '09 TdF TT, that lightweights can get it done, too. Good on him.
Of that 130 lbs, about 30 of it is ego. The rest is legs and lungs.

To be a GC contender you have to TT well, climb well, and be smart. AC has always climbed well, but his TT has improved over the years. On the smarts, well, he's young, some of the smarts will come for him.

Did they ban race radios this year? I know they talked about it, but I wasn't sure where that ended. A smart DS in the car covers alot of rider stupidity if they have radios.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #14466
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:

What are you riding? Tires, clothing (wind resistance and ease of movement)? Has your bike been properly fitted?

If you're in decent shape, and not riding a long ride (in relation to your fitness/training) that sounds a bit slow.

You should be able to maintain above that, between 15 and 18 on flats. I can keep a 22+ on flats, faster without a headwind.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #14467
Askel
Perma-n00b

The biggest effect on cruising speed?

How hard you pedal.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #14468
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
The biggest effect on cruising speed?

How hard you pedal.

and spin style, mash or spin, mash or spin....

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #14469
Askel
Perma-n00b

Mash. Always mash.

Spinning is for dorks on TT bikes.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #14470
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Did they ban race radios this year? I know they talked about it, but I wasn't sure where that ended. A smart DS in the car covers alot of rider stupidity if they have radios.
I haven't seen anything on the TdF for '10. However, I know USA Cycling has banned them for any teams/riders less than Cat1.

Quote:
Oh, c'mon now!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #14471
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
and spin style, mash or spin, mash or spin....
Mash and pull fellows, mash and pull!
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #14472
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,322
Quote:
What are you riding?
$150 7speed schwinn

Quote:
Tires, clothing (wind resistance and ease of movement)? Has your bike been properly fitted?
700X35C

Tshirt, shorts, "trainning shoes", ball cap.

I bought it at target.

Quote:
If you're in decent shape, and not riding a long ride (in relation to your fitness/training) that sounds a bit slow.
I'm 6' 220lbs and last week was the first time I rode a bike any appreciable distance since highschool.

I usually ride about 10 miles.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #14473
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Mash. Always mash.

Ya can't help but spin with cyclocross gearing.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #14474
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
$150 7speed schwinn

700X35C

Tshirt, shorts, "trainning shoes", ball cap.

I bought it at target.

I'm 6' 220lbs and last week was the first time I rode a bike any appreciable distance since highschool.

I usually ride about 10 miles.
You just started riding, those tires are nothing but rolling resistance, the bike weighs a metric shitload and your clothing has the same drag coefficient as a Jeep Wrangler. I'd say that 15mph average is pretty damn good given all of that.

Riding on my own, I usually run about 18-19mph avg depending on wind, but in a group, we sit about 21-23mph in the flats when we take turns pulling. Hills/wind will change that quite a bit...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #14475
Rogue_Ryder
速 Flat Biller 速

Oddometer: 7,729
Quote:
I think you're going to like this bike....

Don't let these guys stress you out about fit. It looks like the bars on your bike aren't much higher than the seat and that's pretty close to how I run mine- with almost the same amount of seatpost showing.

If it works, run with it. If it doesn't, it'll be obvious soon enough.
Yeah with the Mountain Bike (I put one of those goofy adjustable stems on it to raise the bars too) I would get lower back pain after about 20 mins; with this new set up I'm not experiencing that at all. I know my set-up looks goofy but after testing various bikes and different set ups on my Mountain bike I think this is gonna be okay for me and I may have to experiment with some other setups too.

Another part of this goofy set up is that proportianally I have a long torso with shorter legs. So I needed that longer toptube so my back isn't hunched up; with shorter top tube bike my back is in an arch which has always caused me back pain even when I was in much better shape. If I were more athletic I'm sure I wouldn't have such comfort issues but I'm built like a linebacker not a cyclist.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: