Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 152 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #14521
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
If you're on two wheels, I'll ride with you.
+1

Of course its always fun to drool over those hot Italian models you see on group rides (well, road bike rides anyway). For some reason the Italian bikes have such a cool look...
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #14522
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Yup. I know how much it flexes. I also know that you're pulling it out of its 'happy spot' and bad things happen when you do that.

M
I had my bike taken apart the other day to put new chain and cassette on. Out of curiosity I wanted to check the drop out alignment at 135mm. I snapped a pic, it is nearly perfect. Also, I am not sure how this happened but I guess in the time that the 135mm wheel was in there the drop out width settled on it's own at nearly 135mm. I used to really have to pull the drop outs apart to get the wheel in there, no it almost slides in there without pulling.

trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #14523
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,860
update - tore down the front hub/axle, ancient dinosaur guts with a long awl, and i degreased all, and gave the bb's a bath, packed her all up again with new grease (pain in the ass of course) but 8 BBs equal on each side fill the races.

Assembled and all good, rolls nice (not perfect smooth) but fine for the duty or sale of the bike in the future.

Very cool rims these alloy 27" Rigidas. Hubs are Miche competition.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #14524
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
Very cool rims these alloy 27" Rigidas. Hubs are Miche competition.
interesting. wonder if the PO swapped the wheels, that catalog said it should have Atom hubs... per http://www.totalbike.com/web/articles/miche.html Miche is a very good Italian maker dating back to 1909, just not that famous because Campagnolo eclipsed everyone way back when. Good thing, cuz all the Atom hubs I saw (mostly on low to mid range French bikes from the early-mid 70s) were *JUNK*.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #14525
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
interesting. wonder if the PO swapped the wheels, that catalog said it should have Atom hubs... per http://www.totalbike.com/web/articles/miche.html Miche is a very good Italian maker dating back to 1909, just not that famous because Campagnolo eclipsed everyone way back when. Good thing, cuz all the Atom hubs I saw (mostly on low to mid range French bikes from the early-mid 70s) were *JUNK*.

Yeah, I installed a Miche 1" headset on an early 90's Basso (Threaded to threadless).

(those are pretty old pics.. )
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #14526
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Possible the hubs failed and the PO had the wheels rebuilt with new hubs. Today most would buy a whole new wheel set, but back then maybe having them rebuilt was the best way to go.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 06-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #14527
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed
Possible the hubs failed and the PO had the wheels rebuilt with new hubs. Today most would buy a whole new wheel set, but back then maybe having them rebuilt was the best way to go.
yaaah,butt, I know I always got new hoops too if it was new hubs and spokes, unless it was a really nice rim (super champion gentlemen?) in really good shape. OTOH, I replaced a few badly bent rims using the existing hubs and spokes. ok, on the spoke nipples, is there anything stamped? are they double butted (thinner in the middle) ?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #14528
Djairo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Azor

This is my bike, I have also a MBK racing-bike with Campagnolo group,and a Trek 7100 but since I have my Azor "Ameland" I can't get enough of it .
It's my daily rider, for all rides in the area, shopping, and go to work.

It is "retro" bike with al modern tecnologie, just as roller brakes, Shimano gearing in the wheel, led front and back lights, aluminium frame, and al bolts in RVS steel.
It ride's very smooth, with the white "big-apple" tyres from Schwalbe.

Frank
Djairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #14529
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djairo
This is my bike, I have also a MBK racing-bike with Campagnolo group,and a Trek 7100 but since I have my Azor "Ameland" I can't get enough of it .
It's my daily rider, for all rides in the area, shopping, and go to work.

It is "retro" bike with al modern tecnologie, just as roller brakes, Shimano gearing in the wheel, led front and back lights, aluminium frame, and al bolts in RVS steel.
It ride's very smooth, with the white "big-apple" tyres from Schwalbe.

Frank
Stylish and practical. Gotta love the chain guard so you don't go sucking your pants or shoe laces into the works! How do you keep the white tires white?
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #14530
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,447
Quote:
actually, I've been able to put 6 speed shimano freewheels on several 5-speed freewheel bikes, including one that had a suntour freewheel, and had no problems. I did have to redish one rear wheel slightly to keep the brakes centered, but it was juts a case ot tweaking the spokes. If the old suntour derailleur brakes or wears out (the plastic idler wheels are the main thing that goes on a very high mile bike), replace the derailleur with a midrange shimano acera or something. If you go from 5 to 7 speed, you likely need a new rear wheel and may have to spread the rear stays a few mm.
It wasn't till 8sp that you needed to go to a wider rear end. 5-7 will fit on the same hub. On that bike all ya need to do is go a hair wider on the axle, respace, and redish and he can run up to 8sp without buying new hubs. Going to 9/10/11 is another story...

Quote:
sadly, if those ARE 27" rims (I don't recall seeing Rigida 27" alloy rims, but stranger things have happened), that hugely reduces your tire choices. If, as I suspect, that bike is mid/late 70s, it may well have tubulars if those aren't 27" rims, I don't remember 700c clinchers coming along much before the early 80s.
27" tires are 27" tires. They're mostly leJunque for 'riding' but fine for bombing around town.

Oh, and Pierce: its WheelSMITH not WheelMAN... Just thought I'd clear up a dusty old memory for ya.

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 06-07-2010 at 09:29 AM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #14531
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
My tires are 700-35C which means about 55psi for my weight.

I was running about 20-22psi before () so inmade quite a bit of difference in efficiency plus the higher seat height feels a lot better.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #14532
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,114
I rode America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride around Lake Tahoe on Saturday. 100 miles. 6 hours 45 minutes ride time. Our longest stop was about 20 minutes for lunch.

What an awesome day.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #14533
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

What do you guys eat before/during/after a ride?

I'm not riding any incredible distances, but I'd like to know what I can consume to help give me more energy or feel less debilitated afterwards.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #14534
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
What do you guys eat before/during/after a ride?

I'm not riding any incredible distances, but I'd like to know what I can consume to help give me more energy or feel less debilitated afterwards.
I've had good luck with those little sport beans from Jelly Belly.
On hotter or longer rides I carry some of that go-juice in my hydration bladder. Nuun tablets seem to work OK for me.
Loads of water. So far I've managed to not lose but a pound or two.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #14535
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
I've had good luck with those little sport beans from Jelly Belly.
On hotter or longer rides I carry some of that go-juice in my hydration bladder. Nuun tablets seem to work OK for me.
Loads of water. So far I've managed to not lose but a pound or two.
How long you been riding?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: