knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark
It was a bad weekend for organized rides in NC

A 15 yr old girl killed on the MS 150
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...s/15545943.htm

A 41 year old man died of an apparrent heart attack near the finish of the Bridge to Bridge
http://www.caldwellcochamber.org/aboutus.asp?id06=50#

RIP cyclers
shite

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #1443
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,001
Well, that went better'n expected!

Hit the Specialized lunch ride again. Wanted about an hour easy 'cause I'm still coughing but can't stand not doing anything. Wandered over, rode with em thru the warmup and slightly beyond. When they turned up the wick, I dropped off and rode around the hill to meet em again.

Got hosed by a bus just as I was gonna turn around and get in the last group of 4-5. Sprinted for a bit, but only managed to claw back to about 10m from the back of the last guy, then couldn't close that last little gap.

Felt good leg-wise, but breathing hard was just about like pouring molten lead into the bottom of my lungs. Prolly didn't do myself much good cold-wise, but I feel better about myself for having exercised.

Snack of a Pepsi and a pair of poptarts are down, waiting for Stick Me to wake up for a 'real' meal.

Back at it Friday! Then.... RACING on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

M
Old 09-21-2006, 09:11 AM   #1444
Dark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
It's Here!

It finally arrived yesterday. My Craigs list road bike find. I wanted to get back in at a low $ point to make sure I was as interested as I think I am. After all, itís been about 20 years since I did any road bike riding.
A neighbor who is in to road bikes helped put it back together, fit it & go through it. I left off the clipless peddles because at this point I donít have shoes. It cleaned up nice & seems to be in good working order.
Today was the1st ride, 16 miles 1hr 7min. The hills were hell & thank God it has a triple chainring. I was happy with the bike, it seems to fit well & ride well. I wasnít so pleased with my riding. My concern was my back since Iíve had some problems of late. The back was fine. Lungs & legs are another story. I know it will get better & at this point Iím still excited about it. When I wasnít gasping for air it was as fun as I remember it & the rush from a little speed was still there (31 max), the average was pretty sorry & Iíll spare you that.

Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #1445
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,805
My girlfriend has the same bike. A very nice low cost carbon/aluminum ride.

2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #1446
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,309
Quote:
It was a bad weekend for organized rides in NC

A 15 yr old girl killed on the MS 150
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...s/15545943.htm

A 41 year old man died of an apparrent heart attack near the finish of the Bridge to Bridge
http://www.caldwellcochamber.org/aboutus.asp?id06=50#

RIP cyclers

We read about the girl...that was really terrible.

The bridge-to-bridge is really brutal. I saw people fall over near the top, still clipped in, unable to go another inch.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #1447
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
Thanks. This is the one: http://www.khsbicycles.com/07_flite_200.htm

$340
Could this be a trend?
I've been seeing way more interest in low cost commuter/urban/hybrid bikes this year.

Seems as there is many more options available for performance street riding.

Got some friends going to Interbike in Las Vegas next week.
I'm curious as to the industry offerings this year.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #1448
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion
Could this be a trend?
I've been seeing way more interest in low cost commuter/urban/hybrid bikes this year.

Seems as there is many more options available for performance street riding.

Got some friends going to Interbike in Las Vegas next week.
I'm curious as to the industry offerings this year.
Interbike's THAT soon?! Shit! I doubt I'm gonna be able to make it yet afuckinggain! Had a blast at the one I made in Philly!

LOTS of schwag to be had.

Start at PI in the AM. Its a good thing/bad thing kinda thing. I get $$, but I'm gonna miss the lunch ride again.

Picked up some tires from Plan B for this weekend's ride. Thanks mang! Those Tufos are gonna come in hand this weekend!

Oh, btw FIRST CROSS RACE OF THE SEASON is this weekend! Can you tell I'm excited?! Didn't think so. I'm betting that I'm gonna get lapped 3x. Bets anyone? Prunetuckey for y'all that are local. Google for Bay Area Cyclocross and it'll come up.

M
Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #1449
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
It finally arrived yesterday. My Craigs list road bike find. I wanted to get back in at a low $ point to make sure I was as interested as I think I am. After all, itís been about 20 years since I did any road bike riding.
A neighbor who is in to road bikes helped put it back together, fit it & go through it. I left off the clipless peddles because at this point I donít have shoes. It cleaned up nice & seems to be in good working order.
Today was the1st ride, 16 miles 1hr 7min. The hills were hell & thank God it has a triple chainring. I was happy with the bike, it seems to fit well & ride well. I wasnít so pleased with my riding. My concern was my back since Iíve had some problems of late. The back was fine. Lungs & legs are another story. I know it will get better & at this point Iím still excited about it. When I wasnít gasping for air it was as fun as I remember it & the rush from a little speed was still there (31 max), the average was pretty sorry & Iíll spare you that.

Congrats! New toyz are fun!

Keep an eye on those lugs. If this bike's anything like the Allez of the same era, there's a propensity for galvanic corrosion between the lugs and tubes connected to em.

I heard that these bikes rode real nice. Good job!

M
Old 09-22-2006, 12:10 AM   #1450
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,045
apparently one of my kid's good friends, who's a 15 yr old cyclecrosser, got one of these as his new 'cross ride...

i'm not sure exactly which model, I haven't seen it yet. phew, shades of old school cross bikes (I remember seeing a 1970-ish bianchi cross bike way back when, all campi, drop bars, 5 spd with chain keepers in front, and sewup tires with cute little knobbies)
Old 09-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #1451
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
apparently one of my kid's good friends, who's a 15 yr old cyclecrosser, got one of these as his new 'cross ride...

i'm not sure exactly which model, I haven't seen it yet. phew, shades of old school cross bikes (I remember seeing a 1970-ish bianchi cross bike way back when, all campi, drop bars, 5 spd with chain keepers in front, and sewup tires with cute little knobbies)
Nice. I see a few of em riding with the Specialized crew. Seem to be fast enough to keep up with the pack. wonder why MY bike won't?!

Off to my first day at PI. Details later.

M
Old 09-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #1452
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,414
Sunday is the big(ger) ride. We've trained the team. Everyone should finish just fine. The weather is going to be perfect. The ride is through the farmland of the Willammette valley. A couple of us are looking forward to making some more steam. Should be fun. 106 miles.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #1453
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
Sunday is the big(ger) ride. We've trained the team. Everyone should finish just fine. The weather is going to be perfect. The ride is through the farmland of the Willammette valley. A couple of us are looking forward to making some more steam. Should be fun. 106 miles.

Good luck! Don't forget to eat some bananas.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #1454
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,373
Bicyclist killed in Beverly Hills

I ride through this intersection everyday afterwork.

BEVERLY HILLS, September 19, 2006 - A suspect in a hit-and-run accident that killed a 23-year-old bicyclist in Beverly Hills turned himself in Tuesday.
Ilia Pankin of Los Angeles died at UCLA Medical Center of injuries he suffered about 7:30 Monday night at Santa Monica and Wilshire boulevards, said Beverly Hills police Sgt. Michael Publicker.
Witnesses told police that "a large dark-colored American sport utility vehicle" struck Pankin, Publicker said. The suspect was described only as a man in his late 20s with dark hair. The vehicle sped off westbound on Wilshire Boulevard. "As a result of the impact, the suspect vehicle would have sustained left side/front end damage," Publicker said.

The suspect turned himself in late Tuesday afternoon. No further details have been released by the police.

link

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #1455
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,449
I have been of the bicycle for commuting due the distances I have to transport myself. My girlfriend is worried sick about me riding the motorcycle 120 miles a day on the long days.

What she does not understand is that there are greater opportunities to get creamed on a bicycle than on a motorcycle.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: