Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 312 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #14881
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,220
Well, since we're posting rides......
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37473676

Endo'ed on a gnarly downhill. Nice big raspberry on my knee....
Ahhh.... 41 years old and still acting like a teenager

There should be a video of it in the next couple days. I'll try to remember to post it up.
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #14882
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I found the lame bottles of the non-petroleum cleaner and "bio" lube that i used once and found my chain rusty 2 days later,.
the citrus cleaner works ok for me but it ends up that the bike gets a full bath when it really just needs the chain cleaned. Spin the drivetrain to get as much water out as possible.

This stuff is killer and drys in minutes and no water involved, clean brake rotors every ride also

MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #14883
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
Well, since we're posting rides......
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37473676

Endo'ed on a gnarly downhill. Nice big raspberry on my knee....

There should be a video of it in the next couple days. I'll try to remember to post it up.
Definitely post that video up. Any great rides or wrecks are worthy watching material.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #14884
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
^^^ Mountain bikes are good for that!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #14885
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,016
My wife completed the terrible two yesterday! 200 miles, 16,000 feet of climbing, in 16 1/2 hours. Hell of a hard ride.

I rode a measly 25 miles out to where the lunch stop was to see her for a few minutes.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #14886
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
My wife completed the terrible two yesterday! 200 miles, 16,000 feet of climbing, in 16 1/2 hours. Hell of a hard ride.

I rode a measly 25 miles out to where the lunch stop was to see her for a few minutes.
Dhang!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #14887
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,081
Quote:
how tight should you set v-brakes?
On the expedition it might have some type of anti lock device built into the noodle on the front. You may want to replace the noodle for a real one. It makes the brakes really hard to adjust. the womens drop style frame also makes the brakes really hard to adjust.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #14888
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Wow. That's awesome.

Longest, hardest ride I've completed is the Cohutta 100 Mountain Bike Race (@ 102 miles, 12,000+ feet of elevation, 10:35). I couldn't imagine staying on the bike for 16 1/2 hours.

Although, I have a friend who's an endurance mountain bike race promoter. His craziest event? The "Pisgah36" (formerly named "The Most Horrible Thing Ever". He had to change the name because the Forestry Service wouldn't grant a permit if he kept calling it that). Nucking Futs for sure.

Again, mega kudos to your wife.
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #14889
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
On the expedition it might have some type of anti lock device built into the noodle on the front. You may want to replace the noodle for a real one. It makes the brakes really hard to adjust. the womens drop style frame also makes the brakes really hard to adjust.
nah, nothing like that. the noodles are normal, the back has a longer one, which, hah, is almost threaded around the frame like I'd setup my cruiser.

the adjusters on the brake levers were screwed all the way in. the brakes were almost to the grips before they were locking before. I adjusted them to take up most of the slack, so now they bite sooner and require less effort. I think I'm going to set them in the middle on her bike, but I like them tight on my cruiser, I'm a heavy guy and bomb down hills. I'm loving these cheap brakes, they got all kinda power and are plenty progressive.

I've gotta do something about the front sidepull on the old trek I got my daughter, she says the brakes are too... nothing... barely... LOCKED! I think she needs to practice modulating the front going down a grade. she doesn't like going down fast hills.

its an odd brake, one of these...

both pivots are on the same side, so the arms are rather asymmetric. the right hand shoe, to the left on that picture, has its pivot on the other side, but seperate from the pivot for the left hand shoe (to the right of the pic). yet, somehow, the shoes seem to stay reasonably parallel when they approach the rim. If I ever tear it down to clean and lube it, I'll have to take pics, I've never seen anything quite like it.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #14890
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I've gotta do something about the front sidepull on the old trek I got my daughter, she says the brakes are too... nothing... barely... LOCKED! I think she needs to practice modulating the front going down a grade. she doesn't like going down fast hills.

its an odd brake, one of these...

both pivots are on the same side, so the arms are rather asymmetric. the right hand shoe, to the left on that picture, has its pivot on the other side, but seperate from the pivot for the left hand shoe (to the right of the pic). yet, somehow, the shoes seem to stay reasonably parallel when they approach the rim. If I ever tear it down to clean and lube it, I'll have to take pics, I've never seen anything quite like it.
That is a dual pivot brake. Most road bikes come with them these days. Very powerful. Just tell her to get used to the power. Once she gets used to it, she will love it.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #14891
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails
That is a dual pivot brake. Most road bikes come with them these days. Very powerful. Just tell her to get used to the power. Once she gets used to it, she will love it.
ahhh! this is the road bike brake I'm used to, heh.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #14892
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout
Knocked out a 66mi day today. Rough as the last 30mi were into a gnarly wind... But our century training is progressing well. Kbasa's century report has us inspired.
Awesome!

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #14893
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,315
Quote:

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #14894
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:

beyond impressive !!
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #14895
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ahhh! this is the road bike brake I'm used to, heh.

The dual pivot brakes put out twice if not more power. It is pretty sweet stuff. Campy still specs single pivot brakes on the rear because they are lighter and you dont need as much power on the rear brake.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: