User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #14941
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,727
The red one looks a bit like my Schwinn Comfort bike. I'll take a pic when I get back from my ride this morning.

As for the crack, I would torch weld it with a fine tip. You can make a nice, almost invisible weld that way in steel. If I can weld up thin wall 4130 for an aircraft frame that way, your neighbor should be able to do the same. I don't know enough about TIG to know if you can do as good a job that way.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #14942
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
hmmmm.

http://2009.feltracing.com/09-catalo...8-deluxe.aspx#

no, wait, I really really don't want a new bike.
If you're considering that style of bike, I'd look into an internal geared, belt drive bike. I know there are as many as 14 internal speeds available from Rohloff, but, don't about belt drive versions of that hub.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #14943
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
The red one looks a bit like my Schwinn Comfort bike. I'll take a pic when I get back from my ride this morning.

As for the crack, I would torch weld it with a fine tip. You can make a nice, almost invisible weld that way in steel. If I can weld up thin wall 4130 for an aircraft frame that way, your neighbor should be able to do the same. I don't know enough about TIG to know if you can do as good a job that way.
Since its steel, it should be fixable. I think the proximity to the other weld could be a complicating factor. I'm assuming the seat tube penetrates the top tube.

You'll have to remove the paint around the crack and that should give you an opportunity to inspect the metal to ensure there are no unseen cracks. Perhaps your neighbor could also reinforce that top part of the tube somehow.

Your other option is to find a gently used cruiser with a good frame, and build it with your components. Of course not everything on your old bike is going to transfer to the new frame. You can buy inexpensive frame sets for mountain and road bikes, but cruisers like this are always sold as complete bikes.

Before spending a lot of time on this frame, make sure there isn't any serious amount of rust going on inside the frame. Good luck with it.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #14944
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
Moving in with my girlfriend and trying to look at storage options for our bicycles. We currently have five bicycles and will most likely end up with six. Also have a bunch of motorcycles and other gear so we need to conserve garage floor space.
Has anyone ever used one of the hanging bicycle tree racks?

If we have the height we need (I will measure later) this seems to be the ideal solution. The only con i see is that it is a pain in the ass to get the inner bikes off. But we both use one bike for day-to-day riding so those would go on the end. The mountain bikes do not get used as much so they could go on the inside.
Open for any other comments or suggestions, but wall space is not really an option.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #14945
pilot
Slacker Moderator

5.8 miles today. It really is getting easier. I keep telling myself this. I don't know if it is working.

Buy my Versys.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #14946
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,510
Quote:
5.8 miles today. It really is getting easier. I keep telling myself this. I don't know if it is working.
It's good to see another fat guy here with progress similar to my own in the midst of these leg-shaved freaks of aerobic nature.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #14947
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
It is getting easier

Will it ever be easy ? Doubtful, but then, that's why we do it right
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #14948
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid
It's good to see another fat guy here with progress similar to my own in the midst of these leg-shaved freaks of aerobic nature.

Another YFB checking in
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #14949
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid
Fat guy?

I'm just built for comfort, that's all.

Buy my Versys.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #14950
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
If you're considering that style of bike, I'd look into an internal geared, belt drive bike. I know there are as many as 14 internal speeds available from Rohloff, but, don't about belt drive versions of that hub.
those internal hubs are pretty damn heavy. this 'cruiser' of mine is fairly light. I can fix derailleur problems. with my current 7 sp gearing, I have everything from 3.07:1 high gear to a 1.17:1 crawler.

I put 'cruiser' in quotes, the bars are just about as high as the seat, so the riding position is almost more 'hybrid' than 'cruiser', except the bars are wider than your typical hybrid..

I was looking at Nashbar frames last night. thinking of doing something with their alum, "mtb" frame, and rigid forks.

and

I'd need a new stem but afaik, my alloy bars should fit a modern threadless stem.. and I'd need a new bottom bracket, and would probably try and scrounge a new crankset. and a seat post, but thats no biggie.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #14951
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Here's my Schwinn.

Buy my Versys.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #14952
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
It is for me at least.

When I started I could cruise all day on flat ground in second gear.

Now once I warm up I can do the same in 4th or 5th.

Now if I could just get rid of the damn hills.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #14953
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
When I roadraced (motorcycles) I was a skinny bastard. My racing buddy was pretty heavy and he would say he is "aerodynamically correct" being curved when the wind hits him it wraps around, us skinny guys were like a sail and only slowed the bikes down being flat.
Well on a bicycle I am "aerodynamically correct"
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #14954
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Open for any other comments or suggestions, but wall space is not really an option.
Without wall space, I got nothin'. If/when we move, I'm going to really miss my wall-hook setup:

Thanks for your NYC living/riding/climbing suggestions a few weeks back. My gf and I ended up coming down and looking around for the weekend, and found a few areas we think we can live with. I think we're going to end up renting a place somewhere in Westchester, and I'll either take the train or bike in.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #14955
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
yeah, I've worked my way up from doing 5-10 miles to doing almost 25 last night. haven't lost any weight (floating around 225 lbs) but definitely feeling more fit.

I just wish it was easier to ride directly from my house. I live up a 3/4 mile long, 300' elevation hill, which isn't that bad of and by itself, but the climb has zero shoulders and blind turns, and a lot of traffic going way too fast (35 zone with people often going 50+).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: