ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #46
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
OK, here's a stupid question from someone who's never used a GPS ... What does it need Bluetooth for? Audio inside your helmet?
Bluetooth allows you to hear route directions in your helmet without the need for wires. It will also allow you to receive cell phone calls from a bluetooth compatible cell phone. I don't have a death wish so no cell phone calls when I am riding, but it is nice to be able to make a quick call during a stop and not have to remove the helmet and gloves. Anothe nice thing is that the Rider and probably some Garmin devices will copy your cell phone numbers and addresses to the GPS via bluetooth.

Now for the downside. You have to "pair" your phone and bluetooth headset with the GPS. Not too hard but finicky sometimes. Also my cell phone was not compatible with the Tom Tom Rider so it never worked as advertised.

Bottom line. Bluetooth is nice if you want sound in your helmet without wires, but it has nothing to do with the actual navigational function of the GPS.
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #47
PegasoPat
General Smart Ass

Oddometer: 336
Laugh little voice inside your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
OK, here's a stupid question from someone who's never used a GPS ... What does it need Bluetooth for? Audio inside your helmet?
Turn by turn directions and receiving phone calls if you have blue tooth phone and want the damn calls.. Tomtom will also control ipod and other mp3 from the gps touch screen.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #48
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Most impressive.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #49
Hayduke_GSA
I'm just this guy...

Oddometer: 235
Found the 2820 for $776.00 US for those of you interested.

http://www.nextag.com/garmin-2820/search-html

The Comp-U-Plus Store has the lowest price (776.00), but if you directly to their site, and not through NexTag (link above) they want over 1000.00 for it.

I ordered mine today for $790.95 shipping included, should be here in 2 days.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #50
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor
Bluetooth allows you to hear route directions in your helmet without the need for wires. It will also allow you to receive cell phone calls from a bluetooth compatible cell phone. I don't have a death wish so no cell phone calls when I am riding, but it is nice to be able to make a quick call during a stop and not have to remove the helmet and gloves. Anothe nice thing is that the Rider and probably some Garmin devices will copy your cell phone numbers and addresses to the GPS via bluetooth.

Now for the downside. You have to "pair" your phone and bluetooth headset with the GPS. Not too hard but finicky sometimes. Also my cell phone was not compatible with the Tom Tom Rider so it never worked as advertised.

Bottom line. Bluetooth is nice if you want sound in your helmet without wires, but it has nothing to do with the actual navigational function of the GPS.

you're on a trip, at the end of the day you hit town and need a hotel. Ask the GPS for a list of hotels, find one you like, hit the "dial" button and it dials your phone so you can make a reservation. Pretty handy when you're dead tired.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #51
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
you're on a trip, at the end of the day you hit town and need a hotel. Ask the GPS for a list of hotels, find one you like, hit the "dial" button and it dials your phone so you can make a reservation. Pretty handy when you're dead tired.
Good point!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:09 PM   #52
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke_GSA
Found the 2820 for $776.00 US for those of you interested.

http://www.nextag.com/garmin-2820/search-html

The Comp-U-Plus Store has the lowest price (776.00), but if you directly to their site, and not through NexTag (link above) they want over 1000.00 for it.

I ordered mine today for $790.95 shipping included, should be here in 2 days.
That's the place and price I ordered mine from too.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #53
Hayduke_GSA
I'm just this guy...

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor
That's the place and price I ordered mine from too.
Have they responded to your order or shipped it yet? I'm still wondering if they are going to honor the price.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #54
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke_GSA
Have they responded to your order or shipped it yet? I'm still wondering if they are going to honor the price.
Yes mine has shipped with the lower price.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #55
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags

I had a 276c when they first came out (its battery reliant) I sold it & got one that can be hardwired. I figured going cross country the battery (8 hour charge life) would die (it will if your on a multi day boonie trip also).
Geez, my 276C has been hardwired since I got it. It even came with the cable to do it in the box.

With the backlight down low or off it reports about 12 to 14 hours of available battery life.
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:52 PM   #56
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
After looking at the specs of the new motorcycle unit I am under whelmed.

The display is smaller than the 276C and the resolution is less. The screen seems to be comic book or candy-like in appearance.

SD card is probably a good thing. Don't know about customized POI upload ability... seems the other units which have that capability seem to be limited.

Left side buttons are good.

Still have many questions about display customization and available screens, waypoints, ability to upload and download tracks, routes and waypoints.

Bluetooth? Maybe for telephone or possibly directions but not for tunes... don't think the fidelity is there.

The Garmin miniwebsite sucks... seems to be all flash with no real info. It justs keeps repeating the same marketing dweeb crap over and over.

They are trying to sell the bling and for the hardcore rider who currently has a GPS unit that ain't gonna work.
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #57
irlsanders
Panamaniac

Oddometer: 559
Gonna intro it at Laguna Seca MotoGP. Someone should get some hands-on with it next week!
irlsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:44 PM   #58
DeanW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
But does it have the "broke" routing s/w that is in the GPSMAP 6x & 7x? if so, don't bother cause you can't do a "criss-cross" or looping route.
DeanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #59
KevinC
Looking for the hoard

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
After looking at the specs of the new motorcycle unit I am under whelmed.

The display is smaller than the 276C and the resolution is less. The screen seems to be comic book or candy-like in appearance.

SD card is probably a good thing. Don't know about customized POI upload ability... seems the other units which have that capability seem to be limited.

Left side buttons are good.

Still have many questions about display customization and available screens, waypoints, ability to upload and download tracks, routes and waypoints.

Bluetooth? Maybe for telephone or possibly directions but not for tunes... don't think the fidelity is there.

The Garmin miniwebsite sucks... seems to be all flash with no real info. It justs keeps repeating the same marketing dweeb crap over and over.

They are trying to sell the bling and for the hardcore rider who currently has a GPS unit that ain't gonna work.
I'm with you on this, I've just got a load of questions before I part with my 276C (and with Garmins normal dodgy exchange rate calculator, somewhere close to 1000). Looks like we'll just have to wait for Phil to buy one when it comes out to get the review we all want
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:49 AM   #60
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
The mini website seems to imply a load of things but the specs page is lacking.

Dare I suggest that we wait for the actual unit before doing a 'review' based on current (limited) information.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote