Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #1486
MotoSteve
Functioning Motard

Oddometer: 363
Call your local KTM dealer and have them run the vin. They should be able to give you a print out of all service history, TSB's outstanding or otherwise completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
Is there anything else to do or recalls to follow up on??
Old 04-28-2009, 02:01 AM   #1487
Taipan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer
Those look nice - they look well built and I'll bet they sound great!
They are nicely put together and I really like the look with no exhaust strap. They have a good reputation apparently although I must admit I'd never heard of them up until now. Very popular with Adventure apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big
No! Don't do it! You don't want people to think you have a tiny pecker do you? Keep the thing stealth -- it's way cooler!

Jason
They actually have a reallly nice muted growl to them with the db killers in. It was very windy yesterday and I just couldn't hear them properly. Its much calmer today and I got to listen to them more. Subtle but nice. I have to try them with the db killers out though. Be rude not to.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #1488
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Screens

Is this the 690 screen everyone is using?

This thing is great, but really needs some wind protection on the slab :)
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #1489
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
The response out of the front is SO quick. To me it almost seems twitchy, but I think I will adapt. Do most find the need for a steering damper, or is this something one gets used to?
WooHoo!!
Coming off some BMWs I'll agree the SM gives a different feel at first. I thought I might like a damper, but after some more time on the bike it feels planted to me now. I'm sure the BMW would probably feel numb (steering wise) if you were to swap back.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #1490
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,446
Quote:
Finally picked my used (1200 miles) SMR over the weekend. Have only put about 50 miles on it. WOW. This is going to take some getting used to. I have been on heavy slow turning BMWs for 20 years. It is quite nicely equipped with LV cans and jetting, lots of CF goodies, 690 screen, etc. This is truly a stunning motorcycle. The response out of the front is SO quick. To me it almost seems twitchy, but I think I will adapt. Do most find the need for a steering damper, or is this something one gets used to?
Basic suspension set-up is important on these bikes. Make sure your preload on the shock spring and fork springs are set correctly for your weight.

We can help walk you through it!

Glad you like the bike!! They rock!!

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #1491
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Finally picked my used (1200 miles) SMR over the weekend. Have only put about 50 miles on it. WOW. This is going to take some getting used to. I have been on heavy slow turning BMWs for 20 years. It is quite nicely equipped with LV cans and jetting, lots of CF goodies, 690 screen, etc. This is truly a stunning motorcycle. The response out of the front is SO quick. To me it almost seems twitchy, but I think I will adapt. Do most find the need for a steering damper, or is this something one gets used to? Gonna remove the cannister, SAS etc. The bike seems to run very well. Is there anything else to do or recalls to follow up on??

Has anyone any experience with the SW motec adapter plate that allows use of a Givi top case?

I think this is going to be a great relationship. As long as I can keep my license anyway.

WooHoo!!
Welcome to the SMR world. Glad you're enjoying the bike so far. Re: Steering quickness, one other thing you may want to check to see is if the previous owner raised the forks in the triple clamps. Stock the fork caps are nearly level with the top of the triple clamp. If you have 1 or 2 lines of fork tube showing try putting it back to stock. I'm running mine with 2 lines showing and it's much quicker to turn in but gets a bit lively once I'm over 75mph in traffic. Set back to stock it feels much more planted at speed in traffic. This is just something else to look at while you're busy checking the sag and dampening adjusters.

I've been considering a steering damper but am waiting to get the forks high speed dampening re-valved. Once that's done I'll decide if I wish to move forward with the steering damper.

Based on my time with the SMR you're in for a great relationship. I just did a weekend of back to back 10+ hour rides, all on back roads and I can't wait to do it again!

nattyMo screwed with this post 05-06-2009 at 06:32 AM
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #1492
SteveAS
Crank

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
The response out of the front is SO quick. To me it almost seems twitchy, but I think I will adapt. Do most find the need for a steering damper, or is this something one gets used to?
It's quick steering, but stable and not prone to tank slappers. I feel no need for a steering damper.
SteveAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #1493
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider
Is this the 690 screen everyone is using?

This thing is great, but really needs some wind protection on the slab :)
Nope, I'm using this one;
https://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/mercha..._Code=SBM690SM

It cuts all the wind off my chest but causes a bit more wind noise in my lid - but no buffeting. I only run it for cold or rain.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #1494
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob

It cuts all the wind off my chest but causes a bit more wind noise in my lid - but no buffeting. I only run it for cold or rain.

+1
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #1495
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob

Looks good. . .

How's it mount?
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #1496
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,446
"It cuts all the wind off my chest but causes a bit more wind noise in my lid - but no buffeting. I only run it for cold or rain."

+2

Bob did a great write-up over at KTM Talk that helped me greatly. Hopefully he can copy it here, if it isn't already? There's a heck of a lot of information in this thread!

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #1497
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Me Too

+1

This is the one my bike has installed.

I really like the look and will likely leave it on all the time. Soon as I figure out how to post pics I will do so.

Contacted Rick Mayer today to have him do my seat just like Garrys.

Garry, did you do your 600 mile ride over the weekend and what are your thoughts on the RM seat?

Also, does KTM seel Orange swing arm spools?? Any other good source for Orange spools?

Road to the DMV this morning. Man do I dig this bike!!!!
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #1498
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
+1

Contacted Rick Mayer today to have him do my seat just like Garrys.

Garry, did you do your 600 mile ride over the weekend and what are your thoughts on the RM seat?
I ended up doing 700 miles over two days. This was my first ride of the season, so it's not like I was in any kind of riding shape. The seat worked great. No butt burn all day. Note that I always wear padded mtn bike shorts and that I had an Alaska Leather sheepskin on it too. I bought the sheepskin for a previous bike and it fits great on the RM seat.

As with all ergo/comfort mods, YMMV...
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:26 AM   #1499
Taipan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
How vibey is your bike? My bike is very smooth at cruising revs at say 80mph (16t front sprocket) but can be quite vibey under load. If I open the throttle wide it goes through a band of vibration which clears and then smooths out again. But if you blat it through the gears on full throttle you dont seem to notice it at all?

I've noticed the bike seems smoother at lower revs under load since fitting the race cans. So I'm wondering if its just normal or if I need the carbs balancing or some such thing?

Does your bike have any vibration?
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #1500
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan
How vibey is your bike? My bike is very smooth at cruising revs at say 80mph (16t front sprocket) but can be quite vibey under load. If I open the throttle wide it goes through a band of vibration which clears and then smooths out again. But if you blat it through the gears on full throttle you dont seem to notice it at all?

I've noticed the bike seems smoother at lower revs under load since fitting the race cans. So I'm wondering if its just normal or if I need the carbs balancing or some such thing?

Does your bike have any vibration?
Mine is the same way. The vibes don't bother me or put any body parts to sleep, but it's far from smooth. You know you're straddling an engine, that's for sure.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote