Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 06:19 AM   #1516
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay
.The 950 starts perfectly-then purrs at idle.The next 1000 or so rpms is like ridding a bike that has contact points that kick in after rpm builds,then perfect again.I figured the float bowl/needle jet would let it idle,then die when throttle is turned.

CLAY
contact head2wind on this board. He will set you up with a way better jetting solution.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #1517
SteveAS
Crank

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
The 950 starts perfectly-then purrs at idle.The next 1000 or so rpms is like ridding a bike that has contact points that kick in after rpm builds,then perfect again.I figured the float bowl/needle jet would let it idle,then die when throttle is turned.
It sounds like some small orifice or orifices (jets) in the carburetors have varnish deposits from sitting for 18 months. I'd try disassembling them and using carburetor cleaner on all the jets.
SteveAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #1518
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,964
18 months? Oh yeah...carb rebuild time. This is the problem with bikes that sit.

I order all my parts from Munns in Texas, but there are other good choices.

http://www.munnracing.com/
Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #1519
clay
CLAY JUSTICE

Oddometer: 49
bought 950 sm in california

I just thought of something.He bought the bike in ca 4/28/2007.he used it for commuting back and forth to work.When he moved to tampa he worked at home.it was used very little there,That means it is jetted for ca. and also has all of that smog junk still on it.
What do i take off?I will clean carb as I rejett.
THANKS,CLAY
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #1520
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Do I gotta?

So on my new to me SMR, it has LV peipes and has been rejetted, though I do not know the detail. It has @ 1300 miles on it now.

I am fairly certain it has not been decannistered, etc. I was planning on doing that. BUT, This thing runs SO WELL. Carburates so well. Starts perfectly, idles perfectly, no flat spots. I am concerned about messing with it. I have heard these can be a bit finnicky on jetting etc. So am I missing something. Sure, it will get rid of a bunch of hosing and a few pounds, but I thought the primary reason for the work was to improve running, stalling, etc. I no gots these problems. What to do?

THX
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #1521
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,371
13,116 (S)miles

Did a club ride Sunday. Combo of slow 'n tight, and fast 'n twisty and curving. And a bit of slab to get to the start and then to get home. Good time had by all.

No pics from the day; so one from the archives

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #1522
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,964
Clay and Immemares (??), I'd suggest if it ain't broke...

Walter, I want one O them SD front fenders!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #1523
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
The next 1000 or so rpms is like ridding a bike that has contact points that kick in after rpm builds,then perfect again.
If it feels like it surges when you hold the throttle and speed steady at that point raising the needle one clip should smooth it out.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #1524
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
So on my new to me SMR, it has LV peipes and has been rejetted, though I do not know the detail. It has @ 1300 miles on it now.

I am fairly certain it has not been decannistered, etc. I was planning on doing that. BUT, This thing runs SO WELL. Carburates so well. Starts perfectly, idles perfectly, no flat spots. I am concerned about messing with it. I have heard these can be a bit finnicky on jetting etc. So am I missing something. Sure, it will get rid of a bunch of hosing and a few pounds, but I thought the primary reason for the work was to improve running, stalling, etc. I no gots these problems. What to do?

THX
Decannister will not effect fueling during running at all. Helps startup, and removes hoses. Otherwise, your choice.
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #1525
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut
Decannister will not effect fueling during running at all. Helps startup, and removes hoses. Otherwise, your choice.
canister really has to go. once fuel gets backed up into the canister,and it will with a full tank and a hot day or a tipover, the carbs cant vent. The starter gets abused the battery dies and you get stranded.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #1526
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Just Bob +1 on that. When I got my bike I noticed that at low RPMS and around a steady 35 mph or so the bike had a slight surge. When I took it in for the first service that is exactly what they did and it solved the problem. Still running stock cans and jetting (hoping to get some Wings this summer) and the bike has been a champ. I did de-sas it but was too lazy to remove the rear cannister in the tail.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #1527
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Hey Walter I just noticed I am catching up to you, I've got almost 11,856 smiles on my Katie.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #1528
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
OK so decan it is.

For those that have decaned, has there been any need to adjust jetting or air/fuel screws, etc.

If the the no start condition occurs due to the canister, what is the immediate solution. Waiting, bump starting, turn off the fuel supply for a while,??
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #1529
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
For those that have decaned, has there been any need to adjust jetting or air/fuel screws, etc...
Removing cannister and the carb jetting are unrelated. So if you're happy with jetting as is, the answer to your question is NO.

Quote:
...If the the no start condition occurs due to the canister, what is the immediate solution. Waiting, bump starting, turn off the fuel supply for a while,??
10-30 seconds of starter cranking worked for me. But eveyone's bike seems to be a little different in this respect.
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #1530
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM
Hey Walter I just noticed I am catching up to you, I've got almost 11,856 smiles on my Katie.
Keep going! My "problem" with accumulating miles on the SM is that I always have other bikes I like to ride for different reasons/circumstances- so no one bike gets really significant mileage. I like the SM the best; but like the others as well.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote