Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #1561
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie
What tires have you guys used that you would characterize as being kind of slow- or heavy-steering?
The original Pilot Roads. Rather mellow profile. I don't know how the new PR2 compares profile-wise. Good good mileage out of them too, but wanted something sportier, so I never bought a second set.
Garry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #1562
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
I have to admit that when I had more free weekends and was able to do several track days, my senses were just sharper and I was able to appreciate minor tweaking of suspension settings. So much so that I ended up with Ohlins on the rear and a performance-pro 929 front end on my track only superhawk.

But now I'm older and fatter and just plain not capable of being dissatisfied with the SM's WP pieces. I am sure that on a track I would feel different about it, but on the street I am crazy about the characteristics of the long travel and added plushness at my disposal while still behaving like a hooligan. In fact, I haven't ever had a bike that came with so much "range" of adjustment.

You guys must be really pushing it to find its weakness!

Keep in mind I do lots of miles on a KLR nowadays. It makes jumping on the SM that much more incredible every time.

Cheers
Old 05-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #1563
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,014
Pirelli Diablo Stradas - the "Sport Touring" tire.

I've been through three sets of Syncs (20k miles) and got tired of the sliding and tread squirm on the pavement. I had a set of these on my Ducati 749 and loved them - they get sticky to the touch in the twisties and should last a long time.

But more importantly to this topic, the front tire steers quite slow and steady. Important to me because I was dropping the front 10mm, and I hate steering dampers.

The bars move a little when I get ham-fisted throwing the bike around, but I don't care. She ain't going anywhere. She's just a Thoroughbred reminding me shes alive!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #1564
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Got my bags finally!

Thought Id throw up a couple shots of the SMR with the rack and bags I got for it.

I also added heated grip inserts and built a little dash to mount the switch on. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I may build another one with a different shape.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/8071/smr001.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7503/smr002.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1566/smr004.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9449/smrrack.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/104/smrj.jpg

900rider screwed with this post 05-06-2009 at 07:38 AM
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #1565
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten

You guys must be really pushing it to find its weakness!

Cheers
Nope, just live in an area where some of the paved roads are less smooth then some of the trails I've ridden. Any medium to large positve ^ bumps will launch the front wheel off the ground. Most of the normal small craters are absorbed just fine. When I'm down in Georgia, SC/NC the suspension seems great. Not so great in the NE.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #1566
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo
Nope, just live in an area where some of the paved roads are less smooth then some of the trails I've ridden. Any medium to large positve ^ bumps will launch the front wheel off the ground. Most of the normal small craters are absorbed just fine. When I'm down in Georgia, SC/NC the suspension seems great. Not so great in the NE.
Yeah Buddy! KTM test riders must have glass smooth roads!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #1567
MotoSteve
Functioning Motard

Oddometer: 363
Nice looking bike! I'm mounting the same grips and switch on mine and have seen a few others do the same. All have placed the switch on the dash, just above the ignition to the right of the speedo. It looks pretty clean that way, almost stock. I'll post up a pick later in the week if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider
Thought Id throw up a couple shots of the SMR with the rack and bags I got for it.

I also added heated grip inserts and built a little dash to mount the switch on. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I may build another one with a different shape.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:34 AM   #1568
Taipan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
If you fit race cans do you have to disconnect the SAS?

Recently fitted some race cans to my 950SM. Sadly I wont be keeping the bike much longer so dont want to make any major changes to it as I'll revert it to standard to sell. But is it necessary to disconnect, if not remove, the SAS system once you have fitted race cans?
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #1569
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSteve
Nice looking bike! I'm mounting the same grips and switch on mine and have seen a few others do the same. All have placed the switch on the dash, just above the ignition to the right of the speedo. It looks pretty clean that way, almost stock. I'll post up a pick later in the week if you like.
I thought about that.

My switch needs a 13/16 hole and I didn't think it would "fit" well up by the spedo. I also didn't want to make a change to the bike that I could not undo without buying a replacement part
Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #1570
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

900rider,

Nice looking setup. Who's rack is that? Also the large photos are causing the page to load S-L-O-W.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #1571
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
900rider,

Nice looking setup. Who's rack is that? Also the large photos are causing the page to load S-L-O-W.
Yeah, I didn't realize it would be that bad. I changed them to links.

The rack is a TCI Denali rack.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_inf...roducts_id=641

I bought the rack and bags from newenough.com
Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #1572
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider
Yeah, I didn't realize it would be that bad. I changed them to links.

The rack is a TCI Denali rack.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_inf...roducts_id=641

I bought the rack and bags from newenough.com
Thanks for the Link. Some interesting stuff. I like the Aux fuel container/rack mount. If I'm ever off to the ends of the earth I may have to pick one up.

nattyMo screwed with this post 05-06-2009 at 08:36 AM
Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #1573
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the Link. Some interesting stuff. Like the Aux fuel container/rack mount. If I'm ever off to the ends of the earth I may have to pick one up.
I like that one too. But, I'm practical. A 2 gallon gas can and some bungee cords would be like $12
Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #1574
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Chain Lube

I will research this also.

I have a 950 SMR. This is my first non shaft bike in 20 years. Have no clue how to take care of a chain these days. I have done some asking around and the responses seem similar to the oil question.

So on the standard O ring chain, how often and how do you clean the chain and how often and how do you lube it?

Some say wipe it down with WD40 and do no more, others say use this special non fling Bel ray product, yet other say do nothing it is internally lubricated. (OK what about sprocket wear then?)

Help a brother out. How do we take care of these big twin chains. BTW, no off road for my SMR.

Thank you.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #1575
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Answers will vary and opinions will fly, just like an oil thread.

Here's my 2 centavos: I get at least 20,000 miles out of any chain and sprocket set by wiping the chain with WD-40 occasionally and lubing it when it's warm with a small amount of Bel Ray Super Clean, sprayed on the inside of the chain run to cushion the roller-to-sprocket impact.

It works.

*edit* While we're here, don't adjust it too much. Let it run loose. A loose chain is WAY better than a tight chain.