Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #1576
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
I will research this also.

I have a 950 SMR. This is my first non shaft bike in 20 years. Have no clue how to take care of a chain these days. I have done some asking around and the responses seem similar to the oil question.

So on the standard O ring chain, how often and how do you clean the chain and how often and how do you lube it?

Some say wipe it down with WD40 and do no more, others say use this special non fling Bel ray product, yet other say do nothing it is internally lubricated. (OK what about sprocket wear then?)

Help a brother out. How do we take care of these big twin chains. BTW, no off road for my SMR.

Thank you.
Internet searches will result in 1,000 opinions. :) My personal experience is ANY sort of lube every 200-500 miles will result in a chain life of 20,000 mi or more. I currently use WD because I can get it anywhere; no other reason.
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #1577
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
Chain Maintenance

As noted, lots of different opinions on this. I have 12,000 miles on my 950SM. Sprocket is just starting to show a little wear. I am guessing I will replace the chain and sprockets before I hit 15k. I never clean or lube my chain. All on road riding, very lttle wet weather, 16T counter...

For what it's worth....
renogeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #1578
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 780
Can't argue with a guy that gets 20,000 out of a chain on a big V-Twin. I've always found the Bel-Ray to be little messy. I use the Honda chain oil in the Red can.

I always try to run my chain looser than tighter. Modern chains are really pretty easy to care for.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #1579
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I Get it.

So maybe my thoughts on chain maintenance are based on old tech chains. Sounds like use of WD for cleaning and some occasional light application on the sprocket side of the chain to minimize sprocket wear is all that is needed. 20K out of chains and sprocket sounds good to me.

Thanks all.

BTW, on a seperate note. I was trying to come up with a way to use my smallish Givi topcase as well as the KTM soft side removable tail bag. I think I got it. So when I purchased my bike it already had a metal plat (I think KTM part) with the SW Motec adapter and KTM removeable tail bag installed. I like this tail bag, but wanted to be able to install my Givi case for longer rides. Firstly, I ride this bike solo, so the rear handles came off and hard rubber spacers went in place of the handles under the rear KTM plate. Nextly, I was able to directly bolt the GIVI monolock plastic universal mount plate to the KTM plate without drilling any holes. Remount the KTM plate to the bike with the Givi plate bolted to it and Viola, Now I can use my Givi topcase or the KTM softside top case just by changing the adaprter plate that bolts to the KTM rear plate.

Also, had my rear tire go flat yesterday. Truned out to be the Valve core being loose???? Check your valve cores.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #1580
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Bummer

So I bought a valve core tool to try to tighten the rear core and it was already tight and partly broken.. Now I have a completly broken core that I cannot remove. Took the wheel off. Going for a new valve assy. Glad this happened while at home. I have never had this happen. Seems like the core was originally improperly installed or overtightened. Any other have such an experience?
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #1581
neilc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Re Chain
Chain manufactures recommend not to use wd40 or similar to clean your chain as it is a penitent and gets into the links and washers out the grease from the rollers causing premature were. I just wipe my chain with a rag and if particularly groty I wet the rage with kerosene and then hose off I lube the chain about every 800km depending on conditions with a premium chain lube my bike has done 23000km and I have never even had to adjust the chain and there is no visible were on the sprockets
neilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #1582
Smilin' Dave
I am smiling

Oddometer: 117
carb sync

Over in the OC I read that the proper way to sync. the carbs is to first sync at idle using the "air" screws, then at 3-4k rpms using the screw to adjust the linkage. In the HOW section it says to sync at idle using the linkage screw? Thoughts

Also anyone come up with a cleaver way to feed gas to the carbs while the tank is off.
'96 KLR 650
'88 ZX-10
Smilin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #1583
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc
Re Chain
Chain manufactures recommend not to use wd40 or similar to clean your chain as it is a penitent and gets into the links and washers out the grease from the rollers causing premature were...
W/o starting yet another chain oil vs WD40 thread, I strongly disagree with your statement. I'd be happy to agree if you could provide one unbiased scientific based study that shows WD40, or any other penetrate, having adverse effects on a modern motorcycle chain.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #1584
SteveAS
Crank

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin' Dave
Over in the OC I read that the proper way to sync. the carbs is to first sync at idle using the "air" screws, then at 3-4k rpms using the screw to adjust the linkage. In the HOW section it says to sync at idle using the linkage screw? Thoughts
The air screws are so hard to access, I just set the difference between the front and rear at about what KTM suggests (about a 1/2 turn difference, if I remember right). I set the balancer screw with the engine revving pretty high. My thinking is that the bike is ridden with the throttle cables under "crusing" tension most of the time, so I want them to be under (about) cruising tension when I set the balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin' Dave
Also anyone come up with a cleaver way to feed gas to the carbs while the tank is off.
I haven't figured out anything more convenient than setting the tank on a box of the right height next to the bike and connecting the fuel lines.
SteveAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #1585
neilc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
AERONANT one of the OZ mags ran a article on it some time ago with photos of chains that had been cut open a long with comment from chain manufactures the evidence was pretty damming against WD40 thy did not recommend any particular brand of chain lube so I assume it was a unbiased article.
neilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #1586
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
AERONANT one of the OZ mags ran a article on it some time ago with photos of chains that had been cut open a long with comment from chain manufactures the evidence was pretty damming against WD40 thy did not recommend any particular brand of chain lube so I assume it was a unbiased article.
Thanks, would love to see that article.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #1587
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,679
13, 529 (S)miles

A real nice 413 mile weekend: some hooning around Saturday and a ride to Cebala's in Hamburg Pa. yesterday. Some fantastic roads!

Just one photo with the bike in it.

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #1588
tahoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
12V Accessory Plug?

I'm looking to install a 12V Accessory Plug on my SM (for a GPS). It does not look like KTM offers an option, but I'm sure some of you have done this. In fact I seem to remember reading about it, but the ADV search is no help for some reason (Why can't I search on 12V?) anyway will the accessory plug for the Adventure work? Easy project for an electrical neophyte? Any info or a link would be much appreciated. Thanks, all.

I leave you with some pics from yesterday, Hwy 49 north of Truckee (Lake Tahoe).

2000 Triumph TT 600
tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #1589
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
I just wipe my chain with a rag and if particularly groty I wet the rage with kerosene and then hose off I lube the chain about every 800km depending on conditions with a premium chain lube my bike has done 23000km and I have never even had to adjust the chain and there is no visible were on the sprockets
http://www.tirox.ca/brush-and-cleaner.html
doctor_big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #1590
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,158
I'm looking to add an accessory outlet too as my GPS is wired into the ACC1 (or maybe it's ACC2) plugs in the headlight harness. I also need a second outlet for powering my helmet cam. I think I am going to buy one from Powerlet, drill a hole in the headlight plastic somewhere and be done with it.
Garry is online now   Reply With Quote